First Nationals

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

T'sMinis

Reaction score
I know this gets talked about every year.....BUT.....I am soooooo excited as this will be my first time going to Nationals. I am already starting to get things lined up so I don't forget anything. My son and I are going with a good friend and her daughter.....we have had a blast traveling and showing together this summer and this is just the frosting on the cake. This will be her first Nat'l also as she normally goes to Worlds. We will be staying in luxury suites.....the stalls....the entire time. So, what have you found is helpful to bring along?

Thanks!!!!!

Gina

A credit card to shop in the tack area!
default_biggrin.png
default_laugh.png

This is my first Nationals too! It's exciting but I am a little nervous too. We too are staying the stalls, but I like being near my horses anyway.
default_smile.png
Apparently, fans are a good idea for air circulation in the stalls (according to my experienced friend) and some sort of stall drapes for privacy and possibly a canopy for over the stall you are sleeping in (I keep hearing about bird poop while you are sleeping)
default_unsure.png
. She also bought us a full length mirror for when we are getting dressed.

Hope we run into each other, compare notes
default_biggrin.png
What classes are you showing in?

Be sure to take a couple sweatshirts as it can get very cool at night. The year I went they had a run on them and sold out as it got so chilly. You just never know. Also comfortable shoes are so important because you will be constantly walking.

bring clothes for all kinds of weather well ok not winter
default_wink.png
but it can get chilly and never know if you will have rain or hot and humid.

A few extra tarps in case you get some rain and wind it can help to block of stalls and ease with everything getting wet.

Fans for the stalls are a must most of all have a great time!

We always bring

Microwave

Coffee maker

Small fridge

Griddle

and ETC

We made a kitchen every year, saved on money and had a great time cooking.
default_saludando.gif

Heidi

Hard to believe just a few more weeks and the World is here once again.. Where did this year go!! You gotta love our great Texas weather.. it never fails you can never predict the weather.. we can go from dead of summer to cool crisp fall weather.. -- not mention it is always freezing in the arena so if you plan on watching bring a jacket.. Also a big must is some sort of insect repellent-- we have nasty lil biting flies.. they love ankles..LOL... If your out visiting come see us--- Mom is planning on having her world class homemade cookies and lemonaid for everyone to munch on.. Just look for our wild colored- tropical colored daisy drapes and stall decoration....Whoo-Hoo bring on the 2009 WORLD!!

First timer at nationals here too! I am so nervous I just hope I don't forget my horse. I am really looking forward to it. Hope my guy doesn't get too stressed from the 8 hour trailer ride. We have never traveled that far. Staying in the luxury stall suites also. I know I will forget something. That is why we have Walmart!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Barb

P.S. I am showing aged Stallion, 30-32".
default_saludando.gif
default_saludando.gif
default_saludando.gif

I just love the people there and the many many horses there.when we get there first thing me and mom do is go look at all the horses and talk with alot of friends who we only see once a year at nationals. Oh and yes we take extra money to buy tack ect.Its so nice to see more and more people are comeing it is very eciting and alot of fun fun.

Already started making my lists and checking them twice.

What goes in the Kitchen stall (Fridge, microwave, coffee pot, crock pot, grill), what goes in the trailer, what goes in the trailer weekender, people list, horse stuff list, carts, harnesses, electrical box with all the extension chords, fans--horse and people--forgot the big floor fan last year. Stall curtain suitcase--always have to remember that one as I only use them at Nationals. Staple gun is another thing I forget.

Lists upon Lists upon lists. Must have--jacket for the arena--forgot mine last year, luckily my trainer can down after I left so was able to go by the house and get mine.

Have to get the flatbed trailer ready a week early as I'll take it down and stage it at my son's who lives in Claremore and he can bring it over the day I get there.

Thank heavens Nationals is only 2 1/2 hours away for me but it still is a major move.

I can't wait--taking 7 horses--OOPS where did I leave my head.

Every year I have gone, the weather has been different. My suggestion is to take some fans for your stalls... the cheap square floor kind- they are easily suspended where the horses, or you are not tripping over them and they keep the humid air in the stalls moving!

Folding lawn chairs and a big ice chest! We made ourselves confortable in the barn aisles (even took a nap there) and had the ice chest handy with water, sodas, fruit juice, stuff for sandwiches, fruit and snacks that we could eat 'on the run'.

All your grooming equipment- everything you can dream of. And a golf cart, wagon, cart with wheels, something to carry it all on!!! Some of the hikes to and from your truck get overwhelming after a while!

Something to secure your stall doors. Someone's horse on our aisle was VERY smart and figured out how to flip the latch open up on the stall door and let themself out- a few times! It didnt go anywhere, but was found in the aisle several times, visiting with anyone it could and looking for the feed room, LOL

Extra shavings if they are pretty cheap and you have room to take some. We found they cost a bit more there and we like plenty for the stall and the trailer while hauling.

Oh yes, your camera and your check book with credit cards, LOL

If you are staying in your stalls, bring a comfy cot or couch... and some dark sheets or blankets to put up for privacy and to darken it and to not have any flying birdies leave you something while you are sleeping, LOL

HAVE FUN!!! Wish I was going to be there this year.... I am trying for next year if we can get everyone's health issues squared away! It is always fun and exciting- lots of awesome fun folks and stunning horses!! I hope everyone who is going has a great time and a SAFE trip!

I think with all the replies you have gathered you should take everything but the kitchen sink! Oh heck, go on and throw it in just for the heck of it, and enjoy yourselves!If you do forget any of the important things, there's always plenty of tack, and a wal-mart near by. There's also some good western wear shops close by!

default_rolleyes.gif
This is my first year also - am very excited and thankful to have made it this far and be able to attend. Will be stalled somewhere around Davy and greatly appreciate her, Pat and Lisas help in getting me there. Come by and see me, i am eager to meet new folks and put names with faces. Will be showing in Sr Gelding and Country Pleasure Driving classes. Hope o see you there!

Thanks everyone...there were somethings I was found would be very useful to take along...especially tarps to prevent the birds from dropping bombs at night. I am sure they would find me. Anyways.... I can't wait to take in all the sites and to meet everyone!!!!

Thanks Again

Gina

You know the best advice I ever got about Nationals was here on this forum back in I dont know 2002 maybe? It is all cement and walking back and forth from arena to barn 200 times a day it can be hard on your knees and feet someone on here said bring several different pairs of shoes and change them often during the day. Each pair of shoes is different and has different pressure points (or whatever that woulld be called) all I know is I did it and I can tell you each time I changed shoes it was a huge relief and kept me going for the sometimes 20 hour days.

No Doz, there is way to much going on to even think about anything but a quick nap.
default_new_shocked.gif
LOL

Hope everyone is looking forward to it as much as we are!!!!
default_wink.png

See you all there.
default_saludando.gif
default_aktion033.gif
default_yes.gif

We need to all wear name tags so we can introoduce oursleves to each other!
default_wub.png

Don't forget plenty of Duck Tape and Baby Wipes! Oh, and Bungie Cords!
default_biggrin.png

Last edited by a moderator:
My first time going too, Cant wait to meet everyone... I will be at both Nationals and Worlds
default_biggrin.png

Plenty of tack hooks for your tack stall and LOCKS for both your living stall and tack stall. I use the barn lead ropes to tie the horses stalls shut because I have an escape artist too!

Looking forward to seeing everyone and meeting a few in person that I know only via the forum and email!!!!!
default_biggrin.png

Latest posts

Back