First Foal For 2006, share

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frankie

Reaction score
Was wondering when your first foal for 2006 is due? Was it planned according to your weather conditions, or for future show reasons, or just was?

Our first AND only one for 2006 is due March 1. May be kind of early for Indiana. Not sure yet. March can be brutal here.

Our Little Kings Supreme Granddaughter, 28" is bred to our BTU son 28". Very excited to see what they give us. Besides small!!!!
biggrin.gif

So when is your first one due? Why do you breed to deliver at that time of year?

Believe it or not, i purposely bred a mare to foal in February. I can't believe I did this but the reason was, foalgin alway sinterrupts show season and I sit around "just in case" adn miss soem fo our shows. Well, I figured I will start breedign earlier adn not do that this year. Only trouble was the mares would not cooperate and some would not take on the first breeding so, now i have mares due from February, through May!!!!! OMG!!!
new_shocked.gif
I am makign arrangments with our local mental hospital to get some outpatient help!
no.gif

I actually have 2 that could go the same day! They are due the last of March, which I really wanted early April. I don't like earlier than end of March or early April as our weather can turn south really quickly. It is usually a little too cool (for my area anyway) for anything earlier than that.

No worry here about interrupting show season....there is only 1 show!

Iv just got one coming next year... due June 15, which is WAY to late for my liking, but it just worked out that way... If I could just go back in time and set it up for April, I would worship at God's feet every moment of every day... ok thats a lie but Id love for that ability
yes.gif

My first one is due Jan. 30th and I am VERY excitied about it, though a little nervous as always.

This foal will be the first for Little Kings Big City Bucks(pictured below), my Boones Little Buckeroo son, whose dam is a daughter of Ramblin Starbuck, who is a son of Rowdy.

BigCitymatt%20leftbody.jpg

BigCityhead-2.jpg

This foal will also be the first for my maiden mare, Erica's Worth the Wait, who will be 4. She is a daughter of my other "main man" Little Kings B T Buck Bandito, a multi National Champion producer and son of BTU, and she is also a maternal sister to Erica's Prince Charming.

fa575184.jpg

fa575181.jpg

Bandito her sire-

f3279203.jpg

So lots of genes in there and I am excitied to seet the outcome. A little nervous as with all foaling you wonder if anything will go wrong. She is only 31.5" and he is 34", but he is nicely finely built so not really worried about height - just hope postion is in the right place. Would love a buckskin filly
biggrin.gif

So very excited for 06 foaling season, I have 10 foals coming and they are ALL new crosses.

Edited as I wanted to see if any of ya'll have Kalgo heaters and what model you got...........I meant to get one last year, it can be cold here and it can be hot (typical Arkanasas weather) I have warm foaling stalls and plenty of foal blankets (but I don't really like to use the foal blankets expect for maybe the first day).....so I am going to buy me a Kalgo for christmas.....wondering what model is the best (my foaling stalls are 9x13ish)

Last edited by a moderator:
To answer the question why I bred for that time in the season, the answer is......

I Didn't!
ohmy.gif

I was waiting to breed until later in the Spring because I don't like foals born before the end of March at the earliest. Preferably April.

BUT! The mares had another idea! They pushed the gate open and let Sonny out and in those few hours he was with them, he got Rose in foal! *sigh*

I had wanted to breed her to the stallion we were leasing for this year. Bummer!

So, she's due late Feb or early March.

I have a new mare "Reece's Crystal Hawk" who is due beginning of May and came to me already bred for 2006 and I have Wonderland's Abby Lane who is due mid-May (if she goes 319 days like she did this year). As some of you may remember we lost Abby's foal as it didn't get out of the sac. Crystal was owned by Vivi Dupont and then was with the Hooks and also lost a foal who also didn't get out of the sac. I am a little nervous about these two but I have already made plans to be off for 8 weeks from work so that this doesn't happen again. I don't think I could go through what I went through this year because this time I know I would throw in the towel for good.

Oh Golly Miss Molly foaled July 4, 2004. She bred back on July 18, 2004. I bought her and her filly (Pixie) for my daughter for her 10th birtday on Sept. 30. 2004. Our new foal is due in June. The weather should be great then! This will be a first for us and we're very excited!

Shelley

I do have one Arabian mare due in February and one due in late March. They were both planned and was trying to get the March one bred a month earlier but she was in transitional heat and wouldn't settle. They were bred that early for show purposes.

I also have two minis due at the same time toward the end of April. We can have snow into April so I just make sure I have heat lamps and blankets available for inclement weather during foaling season.
smile.gif

Debra (Cam), interesting to visit your website and see that you have the same "united nations" in your barn that I do, saddlebred, arabians and miniatures
biggrin.gif

I keep asking my mares to raise their hooves if they're pregnant.......they're just not cooperating! I guess I'll have to break down and haul them in for u/s......I was just gonna wait and see but I'd like to know! The earliest one would foal is mid-April....just in time for show season!
wacko.gif

First foal will be a half brother or sister to Mouse. His dam, Cherry Bomb, is due to foal by Incredible, our White Russian son we have leased to CAM.
smile.gif

I am HOPING for a palomino filly, but probably getting a...black colt! *LOL*

Actually, I would not mind another jr. gelding to show!

She is due Jan. 31. She cycled all winter last year. It was the first year she didn't take on her first breeding, so she took a year "off" after Comet, and took on her second try of '05.

Hard to believe we have already started changing her feed in anticipation of the blessed event. Usually my foals are due in April or so.

BUT..this will be great as I LOVE to show the babies and this one will be weaned before show season is even over. But Cherry is a trooper and goes with us to the shows w/out any trouble, doesn't mind the separations for the show time, etc.

Looking forward to it!

Liz M>

Well, I had a word with the mares yesterday. They are all like small yaks, very very suddenly and not at all interested in giving the game away. I had a strong word with Honey, about showing, and she laid back her ears and muttered something about having to catch her first!! I shall take pictures of her progress towards her new career!! Hopefully her attitude will change. The others?? Well...I THINK four are pregnant ...out of 10!!!!! It's been a funny old year and I shall NEVER allow a stallion to run with the mares, EVER
smile.gif
again!!

Our first foals are due in March. Our primary foaling season is March through the end of May - although we have surprises each year with mares foaling early or late. Since we like to turn the foals out to pasture within a few days of birth, Ohio weather is difficult enough in March endure - but Feb is a real challenge so we try to avoid foaling any earlier than March.

Picture is one of the mares due in March - We are really excited about this foal along with a few others.

barbie0501_small.jpg

[SIZE=14pt]I have 2 mares due the same week in June!! That is the LATEST I want babies born. These mares just didnt settle the first 3 times I bred them. Told them this was thir LATE time this year so they better get to cookin something in there.[/SIZE]

April

Well... we cut down alot on breeding and we have only one bred. She is due the first week of January! Hoping for a News Years foal!
aktion033.gif

Joyce

We only have one foal due for next year earliest foal date of May 1. I had a foal born here last year March 14 and it was -40 degrees so I don't want any March babies. This is my most anticipated foal yet--of course aren't they all that way
laugh.gif

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! I have two mares and I wish I could answer this question. I bought one who was run with a stallion from January to August. So that could give me a foal anywhere from December to July...I am hoping though, that both she and my other mare will foal close to May 23. I pasture breed, and I usually have a vague idea of a time of breeding and have hit it pretty close, but this new mare, I have not a clue.

To make it even scarier...She doesn't turn three until April...I am holding my breath that baby will come after April 23. I hate having a maiden and not having an idea of when to watch her. She may move into the back yard for the winter
biggrin.gif

I honestly don't believe any of my girls got pregnant this year. My stallion, Glow, was 2 and this was his first experience and not a good one. Hormones got the best of him and when trying to breed in hand; it just never quite worked. Then there was the time a while back that he broke down 2 tube gates and was running with my girls for a bit and when I caught him he turned 17.2 hands tall and was NOT gonna leave.
new_shocked.gif
That is when Ginny stepped in and hauled his butt down to Va. Word is he's a pussycat now so I have hopes for the 2007 season.

My mare I bought bred, I was told she was pasture bred from April 29th to May 22nd to a Lucky Four stallion. She is a maiden mare at 32 in. stallion is 33 1/2, The old owner said she was in season when she put her out but wasnt sure if she came back in, in May. So what is the chance a maiden mare took her first cycle? So we are looking at end of Mar. to end of April?

Latest posts

Back