First European driving Barrel race

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ouburgia

Reaction score
This weekend at a large show we held a Driving Barrel Race.

This was the first time this was peformed in Europe and it was GREAT!

Take a look and enjiy (I only have the first heat)

Maaike with Ginger o'Jacky (She was the winner)

That is really neat!! Thanks for sharing. Our Pinto horse club is offering barrel racing, pole bending, and flag and keyhole racing this year but our rules are different. Still driving, but we can only trot and are penalized for canter steps. And our barrel pattern is different too, but the concept is still "drive your minis and have FUN!"

That looks like it was an absolute blast
default_aktion033.gif
I'm going to have to try that
default_biggrin.png

Now that last little horse, Wind of Pride, was more like I'd expect to see!
default_yes.gif
default_aktion033.gif
A little overexcited, but fast and to-the-point. I've got to admit that after driving CDE for the last five years the idea of being limited to a trot in races like that would drive me insane. My pony ain't no roadster, but he's good to go if you'll let him use whatever pace suits him!

Thanks for sharing.

Leia

Thank you for you're reply's!

I've got the video's of the second heat and the first part of the third heat. The second heat was ridden early in the morning, so unfortunatly we didn't had much audiance....

Maaike:

I'm sorry, but the cart flipping over is a perfect example of why I don't like this idea one bit.

I'm also curious WHY your barrel layout and run pattern is backwards?

Last edited by a moderator:
Easy entry carts are not meant for that sort of event, the center of gravity is way too high. Both horse and driver handled it well though, and that little mare (mare?) had certainly figured out what the game was about by that heat! Great flying lead changes.
default_aktion033.gif
I'd love to see her go in a proper marathon vehicle.
default_wub.png

Leia

I'm sorry, but the cart flipping over is a perfect example of why I don't like this idea one bit.
I'm also curious WHY your barrel layout and run pattern is backwards?
Even the toilets flush backwards OVER THERE!!!
default_new_rofl.gif

The idea is NOT to flip the cart and like any sport, the possible danger adds to the excitement and enjoyment of the event. Obviously if you are too worried about flipping then you shouldn't involve yourself in a sport like this. Any time you drive - the danger is there, its sort of like riding a rollercoaster, if it makes you sick - don't ride it. But of course in this case you can lessen the danger by using the correct vehicle as Leia pointed out.

Last edited by a moderator:
My (non horsey) husband and I really enjoyed those!

I think I will try that with my boy. I know it is certainly harder than it looks!

I also like the barn. The natural light from the skylights was nice. Is the facility used for multiuse, as our American fairgrounds barns would be, or is it strictly for horses?

Marsha, I'm not sure of that. It's a really big barn with 2 inside arena's and 2 out side. They give riding lessons there and it's also a boarding stable. I had a show here last year and I really like the location. You can find more about it here: http://www.hetzwartewater.nl/ (sorry, dutch).

Milo: Indeed, it's not the idea to flip over, but it happend. As soon as you are working with horses things can go wrong, you only have to watch the country pleasure driving with arabians that was posted earlier her.. I also think Maaike handled everything very well. I was with her the moment she came out. She double checked her horse to see if she was ok (and she was) and than asked if she could start over (she could).

So she has ridden the pattern 4 times, 1 time went wrong, but fortunatly nothing serious happend.

Though I have to agree that I also think that easy entry carts are less suiteble for this (I have one also), but not to say that they aren't suiteble at all. You only have to drive a bit more carefull.

Mininik: The pattern isn't backwards, we only choose for a differant set up because the space we had and the place the entrance is. If we put 2 barrels in front I think the horses don;t have enough room to make speed as soon as the entered. We also have a pattern with 5 barrels, Only than we need a bigger arena ;)

Thanks you all for the reply's!

Haha it threw me off how you guys run your barrels, but isnt an amazing sport!! I have a gelding who hardly stays at a trot in Harness anymore and he excels at those driven games! I am looking at getting a (cant remember tha name of the cart just now..Leia has one..sit right behind the horses butt?) to use this year...have to find out if I can use them first....

This is a Hyperbike. See how low it sits behind the horse and how wide it is? It's designed to flex and is practically impossible to overturn unless you purposefully overbalance it.

CanterOn.jpg

Headed down a steep embankment in a water hazard:

IMG_7360-1.jpg

KodyBeach.jpg

AmazingTrot.jpg

MusicalTrot.jpg

Leia

Now that looks like fun!! I do that all on my own when the boys are too full of it and its great.

Latest posts

Back