Filly needing help -Not mine-

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is so sad! I will send a donation. It might be much, as I was laid off. I think she will be worth it. God love you Hope.

I saw this earlier on facebook and didn't know they were so close to me. I will be at Loomis basin today and will give a donation at that time. thanks for posting this.

I would think that since the owner of the filly is a large scale mini horse breeder she would have tried to raise the funds by offering a few of her horses at heavily discounted prices or do a benefit auction to raise money for this filly. I know times are tough on us all, but when you have that many mini horses and breed as a business and have nice horses, than you should use your own resources to gather the money. That is part of being "in the business", especially being a long time, large scale breeder.

I hate to talk negatively since so many wonderful & considerate mini people blessed my daughter when she suffered such horrible losses this year, but at the same time, there have been people who have had some horrific losses this year (tornado victims and such) that have to rebuild their lives and farms.

I would think that since the owner of the filly is a large scale mini horse breeder she would have tried to raise the funds by offering a few of her horses at heavily discounted prices or do a benefit auction to raise money for this filly. I know times are tough on us all, but when you have that many mini horses and breed as a business and have nice horses, than you should use your own resources to gather the money. That is part of being "in the business", especially being a long time, large scale breeder.

I hate to talk negatively since so many wonderful & considerate mini people blessed my daughter when she suffered such horrible losses this year, but at the same time, there have been people who have had some horrific losses this year (tornado victims and such) that have to rebuild their lives and farms.

I agree.

Marsha

Sandy, I too don't like to be negative, but in my opinion this is a negligent breeder to leave a mare heavy in foal out in a storm,it is a disaster waiting to happen. she should have already been stalled at night to acclimate to the bacteria in the foaling barn, not in a pasture that didn't even have a run in shelter, only trees! I personally didn't breed any mares last year simply because hubby had been laid off of work and we went through our savings real fast. He finally got another job but at less pay, so it is hard for us to rebuild our savings. As a responsible breeder I realized I didn't have the financial resources available if one of my mares suffered a dystocia or we had a weak or sick foal. My horses need to be my first concern, not making a buck off of them. Also I have enough already to train and get ready to rehome. Responsable breeders just don't leave heavy pregnant mares out like that with having a price to pay, and why are they still breeding if they don't have the resources available in case of emergency?

I couldn't have put it better! I would never leave any of my horses out if I knew that bad weather was coming let alone a pregnant mare. I have had to sell several of my favourite mares to pay for Britts vet bills after she spent 20 days in the clinic. I am not at all happy but I wouldn't let her die without trying but I sure as heck don't expect others to pay my bills.

I pray that this innocent filly doesn't suffer any more for there lack of care!

Last I heard they had already raised close to $1000 in 2 days for the filly. I guess I would not expect anyone to pay my horses bills either, but i'm glad the filly will get her surgery.

Last I heard they had already raised close to $1000 in 2 days for the filly. I guess I would not expect anyone to pay my horses bills either, but i'm glad the filly will get her surgery.
I too am glad that the filly is going to get her surgery and that so many people have opened their pocket books to help. This poor little filly should not have to suffer.

Sandy, very very good point. Im glad the little one will be getting the surgery but it should never have been allowed to happen. If that mare was tucked away in a secure barn in the first place....she would have had at least a better chance. Dont slam me and say well the barn could have collapsed,roof torn off, blah, blah,leaving this mare under the oak trees to fend for herself is just plain irresponsible!!

Dont get me wrong, I understand it was an accident and I understand those things happen, but in this case....very bad judgement call its to bad the horses were made to suffer.

Exactly right.

Responsable breeders just don't leave heavy pregnant mares out like that with having a price to pay, and why are they still breeding if they don't have the resources available in case of emergency?
Right again. The breeder says several times that they cannot afford to go to any extreme measures - but by all means send $$$$ please!!

IMO asking complete strangers to pay $$$ for your filly's surgery by tugging at their heartstrings is extremely inappropriate. The story is touching - but what if this filly needs yet another surgery and extensive post op and therapy costs? How many minis would all that $$$ help - when little Hope's future is likely bleak even after the surgery?

I would have had her put down - allowing her to run free and easy at last... JMO.

That foal's condition may have been congenital and not as a result of any accident.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd like to ask the people who are saying the filly would have had a better chance if her dam had been put in the barn, how? From what i've read the filly has patellar luxation. Am I missing something?

I guess I misread part of the story and just went back to reread. I am still not sure what has happened congenital or accident...spinal injury. BUT why in Gods name would you wait 3 days before calling a vet out when your foal cant stand up or nurse on its own ( granted the foal had been nursing all along but the owner didnt even know it...that is wierd too )...could have been suffering all this time and still couldnt get the $ together for a vet!!Thats just plain irresponsible!I still think its the owners responsibility to prepare for things like this.

Actually the story on the listed web site has changed. In the first one, it said she was born that way and that the breeder knew something was wrong immediately after she was born. There was never anything mentioned in the beginning about bad weather. I live about 17 miles from their ranch and we were never under a tornado warning. One in a different county did touch down and do a tiny bit of damage but again, just spring weather - rain and some T-storms. This person has a a ton of knowledge about minis and does clinics once a year and hosts a sale at the same time. She foals her mare's out next to her house in a open yard that has grass, whether it is raining or not. After foal is born and if the weather is bad she takes them to the barn. She said they are born wet anyways. Like I said the first story was very different then one I am reading now that has been dramatized. Plus where she is having her surgery does do payments with a down. Trust me, I have been there done that.

Again, I am not trying to sound hateful. It is wonderful how many people have stepped up to the plate, but I think if they knew the wholes story they may feel different. We as mini breeders face a lot more tragedy whether we are small or large breeders. If you are going to breed we have to take responsibility for those unexpected vet bills, otherwise don't breed.

i just want to say that I see that I do in fact know this person. I have bought horses from her in the past. They are healthy and well cared for. This is not a person who ever asks for help and always seems to be doing just fine. I know she she has had some tradegys in the last couple of years but has always remained upbeat. I don't know what cicumstances brought on this need to ask for help this time. I know she lost her daughter recently, but don't know if the grandaughter was the who lost a mother. i know she will and has had to put horses down if they cannot be saved. I have seen some horses that she has saved from some pretty terrible things.

We did have tornados in the area. maybe not big ones, but some did cause some dammage. It is more scarey when you have never been through anything like it before and are reading about all of the horrible weather back east. She is not the type of person to panic though.

I will not pass judgement on someone if I don't have all of the facts. I am not sure what is going on. She is not a person who would take advantage of people. She has always been well respected in the horse community.

That is all I know.

The only thing I don't understand is why she waited three days before calling the vet when something was quite obviously wrong with the filly. I know that sounds harsh, but we had a foal born with horribly contracted tendons in his back legs and we made sure to get the vet out right away. We call the vet as soon as a foal is born, and especially when something is so obviously wrong. I know some areas don't have great equine vets nearby, but I don't think you should wait around for something like this :/ On the bright side the filly looks clean and the background looks well kept. Maybe I'm just overly cautious when it comes to getting vet care for foals.

Like I said the first story was very different then one I am reading now that has been dramatized.
More drama = more $$$$.

I am sorry if that sounds jaded - but I have seen similar scenarios play out over and over and over again...
default_no.gif

Thank you Shelia. I know her friend was the one who initiated asking for help from others and maybe her friend was the one who initially wrote the story and had some facts wrong. I think it's a shame that so many are judging when we do not know exact circumstances or facts. I see they have raised enough money for the filly to have her surgery. I think we should all stop judging and send prayers and thoughts to the adorable little fighter of a filly that she pulls through and recovers quickly and is able to live a normal happy life.

Latest posts

Back