filly died...feel like it's my fault...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MiniHoofBeats

Reaction score
I feel horrible...i found the perfect filly to bring home to add to my showstring, future breeding program, and to be friends to grow with my current filly...she was all appy bred, no pinto in her background, and just beautiful...

well I get home from barn chores and see an e-mail from the fillies owner...the filly died...she slipped on some ice on the pavement while they were getting the photo's I asked for of the filly...she cracked her head on the cement and died instantly. I feel HORRIBLE... She was only 6 months old...I don't know what to do except to try to talk it out and off my chest, I don't know what to say...

Oh Sweetie, how horrible for you all! I am so very very sorry for the heartbreak you must be feeling. Thank God she went quickly, you have my deepest sympathy.

Oh how terrible!!! What an awful freak accident to have happen. But its not as uncommon as u would think. Im so sorry.

I don't know what to do to get my mind off this poor filly =( I just hate it, she was everything and I could have just purchased her but instead I just had to insist on photo's! I wish I never would hav asked =(

I am so very sorry. But please don't feel responsible. This was just a freak accident. Get your thoughts together and realized it could have still happened when someone else inquiried.

This is NOT your fault. It was a freak accident, and truthfully, it is no more your fault than anyone's, though I would think (not laying blame here) a person would want to be EXTRA careful when it is icy, to be aware of footing especially in the ice. Not sure what the options were, but iced over pavement would have been my LAST choice for a photo taking place.

Don't feel too badly, there is not a lot one can do to predict such situations.

I am so sorry she had to die, and sorry for her owners, too, who must also be very sad in their loss.

Liz M.

default_crybaby.gif
: Please don't blame yourself. We all want pictures of the horses we are getting.
default_sad.png
I am so sorry this happened.

Deb

oh geez !
default_sad.png
It was an accident, please don't blame yourself.

I'm so sorry!

You shouldn't blame yourself though. I too have been trying to get photos of a filly for a potential buyer, and it is very, very icy here. We have been extra careful when we bring horses out, for anything. If something like this had happened to our horse while we were taking photos for the potential buyer we would have in no way blamed her for the loss. Sure, she wanted to see more photos, but it's our choice to bring the horse out on poor footing & try to get the photos--I would consider it my fault, not the buyers, if something happened to our horse! But I do understand your feeling bad too!

Thanks you guys, I do feel alittle better but...I did ask specifically for one photo of the filly on a flat surface so I could see her hooves....*sigh*...I feel mostly horrible for her owner, who had to watch the poor girl go down and then realize what happened...I am still speechless and...the poor filly =(

I'm so sorry - as others have said, it was an accident - just a terrible accident. Sadly, it could have been any of us taking those photos.........

Oh no how awful for everyone involved. I am sure it is hard to not blame yourself as her owners I am sure are having a hard time not blaming themselves either. It is a freak thing that just happens but I know that doesnt make it any easier

[SIZE=14pt]Just a FREAK accident!!! Wasnt it Tony that was video taping one of his little ones for someone and it ran into a fence and broke its neck??? Maybe not Tony but I believe that happened a couple of years ago??!![/SIZE]

April

I don't know what to do to get my mind off this poor filly =( I just hate it, she was everything and I could have just purchased her but instead I just had to insist on photo's! I wish I never would hav asked =(
You can't be expected to buy a horse without seeing pictures. This is NOT YOUR FAULT!!! The sellers are the ones that chose to take her out on icy pavement to take pictures. At this time of year the grass is short enough they could have taken the pictures on a lawn - instead THEY chose to put her on ice. Horses more often than you realize rear over backwards and hit their heads which can be fatal and in this instance was. It sounds like the filly maybe wasn't handled enough to lead properly which again is their mistake not yours. It is a real shame that this happened but sometimes accidents do!

I was the owner of the filly. I do not have time to post here a lot, but do lurk often. I know many of you personally. Please, this was just a freak accident involving a very young horse. She reared up and hit just the righ spot, at the base of her scull. I have heard of things like this happening. I was leading her to where I wanted to take some pictures. She was just acting like the high sprited baby she was. We have never had a fatal accident at our farm and use caution in everything we do. This was nobodys fault please do not feel bad Stephanie.

Trying to deal with the loss of one of my babies,

Marion at Underwoodfarms

Marion, I'm SO SO sorry your filly died
default_sad.png
{{{{{Hugs}}}}

What a horrendous, shocking loss for you, Stephanie and everyone.

Oh Dear Heavens this is just a huge tragedy for all concerned and I know it's breaking your heart little one, but also the owner's too. This was nobody's fault and could have happened to anyone and no one should be at blame here. Ice is tricky and I have had two accidents with horses in regards to ice. They couldn't see it and I didn't know it was there.

EDITED TO ADD: I just saw that the baby was Marions'. For those of you that don't know Marion, she is an outstanding person and I can't only imagine how hurt she is over this great loss. You both have my sympathy.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am so sorry for the loss of the beautiful filly. I know it can happen,when I had my fewspot filly delivered, right after she was taken out of truck she reared up and went straight over backwards.Thankfully she was okay but if they fall just wrong........

Latest posts

Back