filly and colt

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lucky lodge

Reaction score
hi ,,,was wondering,, I have a 1yr old colt and 1yr old filly can thay breed at this age...

i would never breed them at such a young age just wondering

thanks in advance

no the colt is in with his sister and mum,,,i will seperate them today....as season time is coming ,,,,,

:/. It's Spring there now.... And horses can easily breed before Spring "season time" ;). I would not let a colt anywhere near a filly or mare after 6 mos. of age. I hope that filly isn't pregnant.....

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree but, much as we would never do this and advise people not to, it is actually quite rare, except maybe among racehorses, for a yearling to get another yearling in foal, so you will probably have dodged the bullet- it is far more likely that he has got the adult mare in foal, though!!

Possible, yes. Likely, no.

It is a good idea to seperate them, but for all of us that try to breed a three year old stallion know, they are not always shooting bullets even at three years old.

Can't agree with that one, Joanne, sorry, I always have bred my two year old colts and I yet to have one not be fertile! REALLY fertile, btw.

I just think the chances of a yearling colt getting a yearling filly in foal are lower than his getting a mature mare in foal- which is very possible...

A colt that is just a year old isn't likely to be fertile. He could be but chances are good that he isnt. By 18 months it is much more likely that he will be fertile. Most are fertile at two, but there are those that aren't. I haven't come across many three year olds that are not capable of impregnating a mare though once in awhile a three year old can't settle many.

Back