Figuring Out Supplement Dosages

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jackie

Reaction score
I've been puzzling over this for a while, but then I thought I'd ask the experts
default_smile.png

When you supplement, do you dose for a horse, or do you scale it down for a mini?

i.e., Remission calls for 1 ounce for a 1,000 lb horse to get 6,000mgs of magnesium.

If I scale it down, my 200 lb mini Rocket will only get 1,200 mgs of magnesium.

What do you all do?

Thank you! Jackie

I try to scale it down by weight for my minis. [Pretty much all supplements are based on weight, and should be scaled down for minis.] With Remission, I use the small end of the enclosed scoop, once a day (my minis are mostly Bs, so around 325-350#). [The large end of the scoop is 1 tablespoon, the small end is 1 teaspoon: 3 tsp = 1 tbs. so the small end is approximately 1/3 dose.]

Usually I give 1/4 of whatever is recommended for an average saddle horse.

The only exception is vaccines, which are dosed the same whether it's a mini or a draft horse.

I do the same as chanda--for a Mini (36" Mini) I give the small scoop of Remission once per day. I would not want to give a mini the same amount as I would give to a full size horse.

There are negative side effects that are possible from an overdose of magnesium, so definitely divide the dose for a smaller animal.

Actually, magnesium is water soluble and they pass what they don't use. Just FYI. So, to understand - if a 1,000 lb horse needs 6,000mgs of magnesium, a 200 lb horse only needs 1,200mgs? Just checking, that's what I've been doing, too...but then my brain started to think too hard LOL!

With supplements, yes that is correct. Feed based on weight.

Latest posts

Back