SmartPak

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MajorClementine

Reaction score
I'm wondering how much of a supplement you guys give your minis. If you buy from smartpak and have it packaged in single doses how do you divide up each dose? Half, 1/3, 1/4??

I'm thinking I need something for skin and coat for both my minis. I need something with some omegas without making them gain weight. They both have pretty dry skin/coats and our winters are so dry and harsh I wanted to get a jump on the situation now. I was also thinking some Quiessence for Major. He's a tiny bit cresty and it's starting to lean. I don't think it's fully broken yet but I did undercut his mane and we're working on neck exersizes. But I'd like to see if a supplement will help him at all. Anything else you guys would recommend?

Oh, also, I have a bucket of biotin that I can use. Dad bought it for his riding horse about a year ago but had to have his horse put down this spring so there is quite a bit left. Would this help our coat issues??

Last edited by a moderator:
I use SmartPak supplements for my minis. I always look up the dosage for a full size horse (including weight) and cut it down for the minis. You can call them too and they are very helpful. I use SmartShine Ultra and love it but I've used Omega Horseshine and had great success with that as well.

It depends on the size of the mini and what custom doses are available. Some are only available in 1/2 and full doses, some are available in 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 doses, others do have close to 1/3 size doses, just depends on the product. My minis are mostly B-size so 325-350#, so if I can I try to get 1/3 dose for them, but if not then the dose size depends on the product, some I've gone to just 1/4 dose (like the VitB1 for my flighty stallion), some I do 1/2 dose like SmartDigest for my gelding; and others I can get close to 1/3 dose like Omega Horseshine for same gelding. My tiny stallion is only 175# so for his products he gets 1/4 dose.

I have consulted with SmartPak experts and asked their opinions on the dose size, as well.

I have 3 horses on SmartPaks right now, and have one more that may go on them, when her current supply of supplement is out. I have tons of empty supplement bucket, and don't really want more.

I'm using the Smartpak formula for pasture right now. I was using the packets, which Smarkpak packaged with the proper pre-measured amount for miniature horses, but have changed to the bucket this time. I use a measuring spoon. I'm also using the joint supplement for one horse.

My new mare has been on it for the 5 months I've owned her and the new hoof growth is very good.

Talk to SmartPak. They have a great staff and excellent customer service. I tried using the paks but found dipping out of the small bucket was actually easier. I haven't used their supplements in a while (really didn't need them for my easy keepers) but just ordered a product based on a friend's input about my cresty 4 yr old. She is someone I highly trust on such matters so I'm doing it based on her advice alone. Plus I know what great products they sell and I'm happy to spend my $$ there.

Am using Smart Pack here too.

Depends,, for the coat supplements I use a 1/2 does... others can be just a 1/4 dose.

Talk with them if you are not sure, their customer service is really good!

Two reasons I use the Omega Horseshine was the dry climate and clay dust was just awful on their skin and coats, and biting midges and gnats. First I used smartpaks like Chandab, but found it easier and more cost effective to buy the bucket and break it down. My three minis are all 216 lbs to 250lbs and I feed 1/8 of a cup of Omega Horseshine. That is what I broke it down to from the directions for weight which is what I usually use. I have a kitchen scale that is very handy. I have had wonderful success this summer and no sweet itch. The Omega oils help with inflammation and their skin and coats have retained their color and dappling, no flaky skin. I also gave them MSM and raw vinegar in their feed.

I would just use up the biotin mixed with ground flax or SmartOmega3 until gone.

Just thought I'd add... I use the SmartPaks for horses that get supplements that no one else gets, that way those supplements stay fresher longer. Some supplements come in such larger containers, that it takes forever for a mini to use it all; using the SmartPaks keeps those supplements fresher. Any supplements that more than one horse uses, I buy in containers, even though that means, I have lots of empty containers. [some are good to reuse, others are garbage.]

Latest posts

Back