Feeding

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maestoso

Reaction score
What does everyone feed their minis and why have you chosen that particular grain? Any supplements you prefer? What about weanlings, yearlings, and junior horses?

I feed a ration balancer and rolled oats 2Xs a day to a mature pony who is out 24/7. Over the winter I will add 40/60 alfalfa/grass hay to replace the pasture.

I feed what I do because I wanted to simplify feeding time, but still ensure my pony is getting all he needs.

Soon I'd like to start adding organic, unpasteurized Apple Cider Vinegar to his drinking water.

Last edited by a moderator:
I feed 3/4 to 1 cup of alfalfa pellets. 1 cup wet cob and 3/4 of a flake of alfalfa/grass hay 2 times a day. My horses do not have any pasture. They do have sage brush to munch on if they would. I was feeding a mineral supplement called vitaquine. I fed it while my mare was pregnant. It comes in 50 lb bags so it takes me a long time to go through a bag (I need to get more). In as little as 2 weeks you can see a change in your horse.

My program is so simple but I'm happy with it. Others have great results doing things differently so there's more than one good way to feed a mini
default_smile.png

What we do is feed everyone soft orchard grass hay. I'm very concerned not to give our minis any hay that is coarse (because I feel that can lead to impaction colics).

For horses up to 15-18mos or so, we feed purina equine junior along with the hay.

Adult horses are fed complete senior feed (our co-op's blend formulated by Kentucky Equine Research).

Our show horses get about 50% of their feed from the complete pellets, and the other 50% from the hay. Our non show horses get proportionally more hay than pellets. Show horses also get ground flax seed as a supplement.

The reason we feed complete pellets is that I feel they are more easily digested than sweet feeds. The reason I opt to feed senior feed vs. general adult feed is I think it's easier for the horses to get all the good stuff out of senior feeds and I like them to have the extra nutrients, protein and fat

Regular deworming, fresh water, and mineral blocks. That's all we really do.

Last edited by a moderator:
I feed my horses a alfalfa/grass mix hay in the winter and through out the summer when needed. They have some pasture grass to graze as well.

The mares aged from 6 months up to 4 years old get the 30% Supplement made by Triple Crown.

The three year old stallion gets 1 pound of Triple Crown Lite.

The two year old gelding that needed a little weight gets the Triple Crown Growth. (I wanted to feed the 6 month old the growth as well, but she wasn't interested
default_rolleyes.gif
: She prefers the 30% Supplement!)

I am going to switch all over to the 30% Supplement for winter as it is jam packed with all they need and I feel it will cover all my bases well. The horses I have now are all fairly easy keepers and don't need pounds and pounds of grain. I have had those kind in the past
default_wink.png
:

They each have their own salt block, they get wormed every three months until winter... and they have fresh water. I am adding Apple Cider Vinegar 5% acidic, to the water as well, which makes their hair coats shiney and also keeps the flies down
default_yes.gif
: When they see me coming with the jug they run over so they can get the vinegar as it goes in the water. I could probably put it on a spoon and they would suck it down!

Fairly simple program. Soon to be simpler! KISS is the way to go around here!!

My main feeding program consists of a ration balancer and grass hay. I have added beet pulp and forage pellets this year to stretch my hay supply (I'm short about 30 bales for the year for 6 horses); and I like feeding the soaked feed in the winter to add extra water. They also get BOSS for shiny coat. I do have a couple chubby ones, but we are working on that; otherwise I'm very satisfied with my feed program and the way my minis look.

My horses that are pasture ornaments,mom's to be until the last month before foaling, and stallions all get regular whole oats, a couple also get beet pulp. We buy a very good tiftan bermuda hay and it is fed free choice. Our show horses, young weanlings until they are about 18 months , and the last month for bred mom's we feed Omalene 200, and beet pulp. These are also fed free choice hay except for the show horses. Our show horses in the winter after Nationals go on a whole oat feeding also until some time around the first of March. I like for everyone to be able to get enough hay in the winter to help keep warm, so not alot of feed to make them too fat. A horse just walks on our place and gains 10 pounds. No hard keepers here. We do have one mom while she has a foal nursing does eat quite a bit, 2 of the smaller coffee cans of Omalene and 3/4 can of beet pulp. But she will go back to regular oats after this weekend when we wean. She is about 35 inches tall and 16 years old. Nice smooth back. I think if you have a good hay you really do not need to overfeed with the sweet feed.

I'm with Jill on the Senior feed for adult horses. Heck I put a 2 yr old BS paint filly on it as it has a higher fat lower protien and she looked great. But all of our horses (show horses) were on Blue Seal Senior and looked amazing. That and we were able to feed HALF the amount as with the other feeds we used to use!! They also got flax added during show season. Now that the farm is in LA there isn't a Blue Seal provider there so they are now getting a feed made by Nutrena (forget the name of it). They are doing good on it but we're not hugely impressed with it. We're finding it harder to get them back to that show look (fat but trim). Luckily no ones showing so it doesn't totally matter. They are on pasture for about three hours a day and still get a nice quality hay morning and night. When they're showing they'll go on hay cubes with less hay and pasture time.

I feed all Purina products

All horses get ration balancer for their base (Purina Born to Win) at all ages, babies through adult/senior, everyone on the place

If anyone else needs extra calories, then they get oats added to it.

Weaners get Purina Equine Jr until they are nearly 2.

They all get orchard grass hay and pasture

White salt blocks

Soaked beet pulp for lunch

I believe in feeding horses according to the KISS method. (Keep It Simple Stupid). :bgrin

I don't believe horses need to be a biology/science project.

They are foragers, so we provide a good quality orchard grass hay twice a day. All are provided a mineral/salt block. Some are given a pelleted supplement that is formulated for our region. And others (young horses, seniors, broodmares, etc.) are given either a Senior pelleted grain or Purina Strategy, depending on their need. Amounts also depends on their need and is adjusted accordingly.

MA

Latest posts

Back