Feeding/Conditioning

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Acheron

Reaction score
I'm curious what most of you feed your ponies, including amounts, while conditioning them. Do ponies have special needs as far as feed goes, or do they just have a tendency to get "round" like I do?
default_wink.png
:

I'm starting to get my mare into condition for some pinto shows hopefully, and will need lots of help, as I've never shown a pony and never shown halter! And neither has she! :new_shocked:

Right now she's getting Alfalfa/Bermuda cubes, and a couple of cups of Omolene 200, Paprika, and a squirt of Soybean Oil. She's being lunged in the round pen, we're working in the bitting rig as she gets used to it...

For my 38'' 6yr old classic shetland i feed Buckeye Grow N Win. He gets 1/2lbAM and 1/2lbPM. He is really an easy keeper and gets a small block of orchord grass AM and small block PM.

For conditioning, i've slacked this year in the conditioning area with the horses. I most lunge over jumps and do free lunging in the drylot. I would like to do conditioning at least 5x or 6x a week which im planning for next year. We have one more show at the end of august and i've really been sticking to our conditioning program for the past week or so, of course after our 2 big shows are done i start cracking down lol.

I really like lunging over jumps bc i like to see a nice big powerful full hip and shoulder, thats 'my thing' that i like. Just work your way up on the lunging, free lunge if you have to (liberty style) and maybe set up some jumps to lunge over.

Thank you, GC.

I can incorporate some cavaletti in her lunging, makes a lot of sense.

Now I just have to get some grooming on her and some training..hehe :bgrin

Our show shetlands get Complete Advantage - soaked beet pulp & rice bran oil if they need to put on weight.. - also some flax seed................... We have been feeding them three times a day for over two months now................. Lee lunges them in sand - (we dug out a huge donut shape a few inches down & filled it with sand..... We have two pieces of PVC drainage on the ground on each side for them to step across. I guess it is about 6 inches in diameter. Makes it less boring (I guess).

Our show shetlands get Complete Advantage - soaked beet pulp & rice bran oil if they need to put on weight.. - also some flax seed...................
I feed almost the same thing .. except Merit Advantage pellets instead of Complete. A friend put my onto the rice bran oil when Magic was having a hard time keep weight on during breeding season (not that easy to get hold of around here and expensive!) ... boy does it put a shine on their coat!!!
default_yes.gif
:

on the other side of the coin .. things I NEVER feed .... sweetfeed, corn oil or corn ... do some reseach on corn and founder .... and as for the sweetfeed .. I not only don't like the high corn content but don't think all that sugar is good for them.

We don't go to shetland shows yet, but do like to go to local open shows. I still like to present my ponies as if it were Congress though. I have three ponies that I'm conditioning right now, 2 mares and a filly, and they each need different amounts of feeding and conditioning. And I'm always tweaking our program a bit to adjust to what each one might need.

We feed Purina complete diets (the mares get Equine Sr., the filly gets Adult or Sr., depending on her condition), Purina Mare & Maintenance, Black Oil Sunflower Seed and soaked Beet Pulp with a bit of bran or oats to balance the Ca:phos. They get very little hay, maybe a small handful of alfalfa if they look 'munchy' or bored. They generally would get turn out on sparse pasture as well, but have been kept in the barn or on dry lot for the last couple of months (that's a whole 'nuther thread). This diet is more in response to a string of colics I had a while back than to conditioning, but I'm more interested in keeping their guts moving than anything else at this point.

As far as amounts go, mine vary so much between the ponies that it probably wouldn't be much help. My 41" mare needs twice as much feed as my 40" mare. When she's conditioning, she gets nearly as much as my big horses at rest (she's a really hard worker). I originally cut the filly back, because she came out of winter/spring fat, but now I'm gradually increasing her feed as I increase her work. But here's how I determine where to start. Read the guidelines on the back of the bag. Find out the weight capacity of whatever feed scoop you are going to use for each feed. I have it written on the trash cans that I store my feed in. "1 red scoop = 3 lbs." It varies from feed to feed. Also, Purina dealers or your vet should be able to give you a body conditioning score chart (or ask the vet to score her next time he's out). That will give you a good idea where you are starting. Then you can determine where you want to go, and just make little adjustments. I'm always evaluating my ponies and my feed program, and can even alter it in small amounts every few days sometimes. It makes hubby (my helper) nuts sometimes.

For conditioning my mares, in normal years we lunge at good working paces for 20 +/- minutes every-other-day. This includes trot poles and little 'pop over' jumps occasionally. I call it 'cardio day' or 'sweat day'. This year I'm hurt, so have been doing a lot more free lunging. On the non-lunge days, we do long, brisk walks (up to 2 miles/day, with breaks to chat with the neighbors). Right now it's just in a halter, or the lead-line pony might wear her tack. When I'm healed, this will be ground-driving or driving. These are also the days we practice in-hand exercises or new things; 'tech day' we call it, lol.

For my 2 year old filly, right now we are just trying to figure out a way to work her without hurting me. She's just sooooo TWO. Busy, busy, busy. Lots of free-lunging and long walks. But she's bored, so I'm going to have to step it up a bit. I started her on the lunge line this week, and she hasn't yanked me around too much. We are going to introduce her to the bitting rig and hopefully in a another few weeks I can start ground driving her a bit. Ugggghhhh.... she's just so two!

For feeding as simple as possible is my rule (I have tried many many different combo's over the years)...........your current diet sounds good.

As for conditioning I guess it all depends, I had plans to show one year so started my mini mare on a conditioning routine that worked for her and me..............we would lunge for about 20 minutes then using the bitting rig free lunge for about 15-20 minutes and then I would ground drive her for easily another 1/2 hour.....I kept to this routine 5-6 days a week for over 6 months and she was in great shape (she was 3).

The pony farm I worked at we used the ponies for parties and rides and lessons and most ponies worked 2-3 hours a day 3-4 days a week and they were in great shape with pasture turn out, supplemental hay, and sweet feed.

The q-horse trainer I worked for would only take on 10 horses and during show season we worked each horse 6 days a week unless they were at a show we started at 7 am and finished around 6pm with about 1/2 an hour for lunch so the horses averaged an hour workout.

I like conditioning and seeing an animal in top physical shape I do notice that many with mini's seem to feed to condition rather than feed to support a workload
default_wacko.png
:
default_wacko.png
: this has always confused me
default_sad.png

Latest posts

Back