Feedback requested

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Genie

Reaction score
www.thehorse.com/...theminiature-horse-more-than-just-a-smaller-horse

Hopefully you are able to access this article. I couldn't seem to copy and paste the website.

I am looking for opinions with regard to some of the points made. In my opinion there are some debateable points.

"The Miniature Horse-more than just a smaller horse" is the article.

The website given doesn't take you to the article, just to Horse.com

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you Charlotte.

I saw this posted on Facebook and felt it would torpedo any prospective Miniature Horse buyer. j.m.o.

Had it been posted with some feedback from the topic starter, for a reader to ponder, then it wouldhave been different.

There were a few pieces of information that I would like clarified.

When reading the first half of the article, it thought "hmmmm, some good points, whats the problem?" then I got further into the article.......yes, I too have some issues with it, for example, weight tapes tend to make a mini HEAVIER than what they are, not underestimate their weight, the tooth issue, as we all know, is much more likely linked to genetics and poor breeding, even if all the emphasis was placed on reducing size rather than conformation, we have come leaps and bounds in the last 15 years,but this is more likely the reasoning than the fact that were fitting all those teeth in a little mouth, the colic issue......hmmmm, let's put more stock in roughage for them than emphasizing diet diet diet, I don't think they are any more predisposed to colic than a full size horse, I just think too many concentrates and a lack of sufficient roughage are harsh on their systems.....

There are topics that I think could have been better touched upon and more accurate info could have been provided. Let's face it, how many newbies come on this board and say, what do you mean more food, my vet said a handful of grain and one flake of hay a day? With that said, it is no surprise that there is some misleading info, they are only as good as their sources, and unfortunately, not all vets and breeders are up to parr on minis. We are blessed enough to have enough members on this board that share their years of knowledge as well as those that are part of the vetrinary field.

Thank you Carolyn.

Possibly some of the knowledgeable folks on the forum should do as Charlotte did and contact Horse.Com.

So many times these articles are written as the gospel and too many accept them as stated.

Back