feed question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dawnsminis

Reaction score
Does anyone feed this to their donkeys? A lot of people on the mini horse forum talk about how much they like it. I've always wanted to try it, but never have because I've been afraid the 14% protein might be too high for them & have always used 12% or under. I have three minis, one donkey & two horses. Just thought someone over here might be feeding this......

I give it to my 20yo QH. And the donkey baby we had who was rejected ate it with milk replacer sprinkled on top. But my other donks get very little grain so I like a 10% sweet for them.

Hi There...That almost sounds like an alfalfa mix...which is too rich for my donks (they get the squirts & fat) I feed a straight orchard run and at times I have to watch their weight on that.

ooopppss...I thought we were talking hay
default_wacko.png
: Sorry!

I wouldnt feed it to my donkeys because of the protein level. 14% is awfully high for donkeys, and the last thing you want to do is get a cresty neck or fat deposits on a donkey, it not only looks bad, but isnt healthy for them either. My donkeys only get about 1cup of 10-12% grain,(to keep them content while the horses are being grained :bgrin ) but they have excellent hay 24/7. DOnkeys do NOT need grain. Corinne

I agree...donks don't need any grain....just good quality hay...

My gang doesn't even get hay in the summer...we leave them to their own devices for summer....just grass and whatever else they can steal from the human companions....

Like the loaf of bread Mabel stole out of the van the other day when I got home form the store...kids had the donks out in the yard and poof....short a loaf of bread!! I did find the empty bag and 4 very naughty looking donkeys!!

Latest posts

Back