Fat or Pregnant?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hosscrazy

Reaction score
I can't believe I'm even asking this question! This is my mare Gracie, who I got last year (August 3rd). Prior to my purchase, she was living with a stallion. She now lives with my gelding Cody and I had been feeding them together, so it's possible she just got really fat from eating more than her share.

I am currently feeding them separately, I do NOT feel any baby movement, and I do not feel a bag.

What do you guys think?

FatGracie2-3-2006.jpg

FatGracie3-2006.jpg

Liz R.

And of course, this would be a mare that I do NOT want bred! Is it too late to have her vet checked (again, she moved in with me August 3rd so that would have been her last possible breeding date).

Liz R.

By the look of her I would think that she was bred before the August date you mention. I would think that she was probably bred in early July.

Yeah I would guess her to be due after May but definitely keep a watch over her. She does look fat in addition to a pregnant belly but the fatter ones can hide their signs better so keep checking udders and undertail areas for new developments.
default_smile.png

Liz M.

She does have that pg look to her, but has she had foals before? We have one mare who, when we got her, I would have sworn was going to pop a foal out any day. She had a very pg looking belly. We knew that she had had at least one baby before, if not more, but she didn't just look stretched out. Turns out, that she has a permanent pg look, and that plus a bit of a hay belly, made her look huge! Even when she is thinner, she still looks a bit pg.
default_rolleyes.gif
:

Is there no way your vet can check her to be sure? Can he do an external ultra sound? Good luck, and let us know if you end up with a baby or not.
default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back