fat across shoulders

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

orin

Reaction score
My appy mare was overweight. I have slimmed her down but she still has fat pads just over her shoulders. Any tips to get rid of this?

Hoping I can get rid of it before the show season starts x

I don't know anything about showing. I think she is beautiful. She stands so proud and looks great!

Lovely mare. Personally, I dont think her shoulder looks fat in the pics but it may look that way in person. If you think she needs trimming in that area then perhaps a shoulder sweat applied a few weeks before your show during workouts will tighten her up so she looks sleeker.

She is gorgeous! I love the way she is eyeballing the camera! Did you take the photos? They are awesome!

I hope you let the forum share in your showing adventures with her when the time comes!

If i was you i would work her out more, with the lunge (full lunge aids on , reins, roller ect) i think she needs toning and toning up. Or use sweats if you are ok with them.

This was her first show with only a weeks handling. She took 2x reserve champion.

In my opinion there is lots of conditioning etc to work on but it was the fat across the shoulders I am struggling with. She looks tonned better already but want to be doing the correct routine in plenty of time before the show season starts. :)

Photos were taken by Claudia Foulkes x

She's a very beautiful mare and looking good. What is your schedule regarding the shows this coming year? I ask because when we were showing in the past we aimed for the early shows mid/end April, so any horses on our show team were still having their winter break at this time - outside with friends during the day, relaxing and having a 'down time'. They would start their show preparation early in January, hopefully carrying some extra weight as it is so much easier to get a horse fit when you start with weight to turn into muscle rather than having to try building up a thinner/fit horse! The travelling to and the excitement of the first shows just seemed to 'finish off' the conditionig process, but we aimed for tip top condition for the May shows, and to then get the horses qualified for the late summer major show. Having qualified, we then gave them another period of 'down time' through June and July bfore starting them again to produce them fresh and raring to go for the late majors. In my opinion it is virtually impossible to keep a horse in top condition, particularly mentally, for some 10 months of the year, so to answer your original question it would help to know when your shows are scheduled.
default_yes.gif

First show would be from february time. She does get regular turnout regardless if she is showing or not. I can get her in condition its just this particular fat pads lol they don't want to shift. She is a feisty mare and always playing when she is turned out.

Latest posts

Back