farrier

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree, it is very hard to find a good farrier - I am very lucky and have one who is terrific!

Have you tried the Farrier Finder's search on Horseshoes.com? Great group of people - hope this helps!

Horseshoes.com - Farrier Finder

Liz R.

In California, our farrier is so good that we ( horses and I) got so spoiled. Oh... we miss Martin!

In Texas, we try very hard to find a good one. Here are so many horses around me and no hoofs done, I hardly can't believe it.

A horse with a bad hoof is a dead horse.

Anita

:no: tell me about it, my poor horse has been lame for SIX WEEKS, due to a farrier,and im at my witts end :no:

I am having simular issues. We are in Texas also. There aren't many "mini" farriers. Our farrier that does our big horses is very reliable. But he doesn't do minis..........or he said he would try but would charge me the same as he does for the big horses. That is a hard pill to swallow since I was used to paying under $15 per head.

There is a lady in Denton that is listed on www.miniaturesforu.com. She goes by Hooves by Holland. She says she specializes in minis but is also pretty high on her prices and gas surcharge.

Please post if you find a mini farrier.

As a farrier I do lots of minis, but I do many different types of large horses and ponies. Gas prices and steel prices are going through the roof so you will pay more. You also get what you pay for. I never ever had a problem getting a farrier before I was one and I know why. My best freind and I both had horses at the same place and the farrier would not do hers or would make me hold them. I guess I am kind of grumpy this week and most of it is due to clients. First one I had to trim some mini donkeys, fine, However this was at an ag school and I was basically giving a trimming lesson. I was talked into this. You have to be very tactful and most of these kids do not know anything about animals. Well the little begger kicked me in the knee. This was after the other one jumped and bucked all over the place and you CAN'T restrain them the way you need to. The second was a spotted draft. My job is NOT to train horses for the farrier. I did work with this one the past two times I did her she is not bad but she NEEDS TO BE HANDLED ON A DAILY BASIS! This is a very big horse. I did her but I wasn't happy. Needless to say if the horse is not handled I will not be back. What really annoys me is everyone needs their horse done yesterday. I am waaay behind on my calls as I haven't been getting home until 9:30-10:00 at night. If you have a good farrier or vet treat them well and TALK to them not AT them. Linda B

As a farrier I do lots of minis, but I do many different types of large horses and ponies. Gas prices and steel prices are going through the roof so you will pay more. You also get what you pay for. I never ever had a problem getting a farrier before I was one and I know why. My best friend and I both had horses at the same place and the farrier would not do hers or would make me hold them. I guess I am kind of grumpy this week and most of it is due to clients. First one I had to trim some mini donkeys, fine, However this was at an ag school and I was basically giving a trimming lesson. I was talked into this. You have to be very tactful and most of these kids do not know anything about animals. Well the little begger kicked me in the knee. This was after the other one jumped and bucked all over the place and you CAN'T restrain them the way you need to. The second was a spotted draft. My job is NOT to train horses for the farrier. I did work with this one the past two times I did her she is not bad but she NEEDS TO BE HANDLED ON A DAILY BASIS! This is a very big horse. I did her but I wasn't happy. Needless to say if the horse is not handled I will not be back. What really annoys me is everyone needs their horse done yesterday. I am waaay behind on my calls as I haven't been getting home until 9:30-10:00 at night. If you have a good farrier or vet treat them well and TALK to them not AT them. The other thing is it takes JUST AS LONG to trim a big horse as a mini and TIME IS MONEY. I charge the same for a mini as a big horse. The vet also charges the same as a big horse too and I don't hear any complaints there. Linda B

I know I am going to get slammed on this but I just can't help myself.

I have had minis for 7 years. And it has been pretty standard through those 7 years that mini farriers charge less. The one I was using does many big farms and show horses. I assume that he is qualified or he wouldn't be doing as well. And I also don't agree that it takes just as long for a big horse as it does for minis (that is if they are well behaved). My big horse farrier takes over an hour to do my two big horses. The mini farrier was here for an hour and did 10 minis.

There is also the theory that you get it cheaper for volume. I don't know many mini owners that have 1-2 horses. Many of them have over 10-15. I personally have 13.

I have had minis for 7 years. And it has been pretty standard through those 7 years that mini farriers charge less. The one I was using does many big farms and show horses. I assume that he is qualified or he wouldn't be doing as well. And I also don't agree that it takes just as long for a big horse as it does for minis (that is if they are well behaved). My big horse farrier takes over an hour to do my two big horses. The mini farrier was here for an hour and did 10 minis.

There is also the theory that you get it cheaper for volume. I don't know many mini owners that have 1-2 horses. Many of them have over 10-15. I personally have 13.

Ellen, you are very correct. I see it like you do

10 min. for a mini, 5 in an hour 10 min rest, do 20 minis a day, 5 days a week, 4weeks in a month = $4500 in cash or cashier check. O could make a good living for this amount.

That's right gas went up 20cent a gallon, 10 gallon $2, 100 gallon $20 not that much to put $10 more on a mini for 10 min work. How long can one drive with 100 gallon?

Anita

Little Texas Miniature Horses

Sulphur Springs TX

I have seen farriers do 50 or more minis a day.

That is $600 a day if one charged $12 a horse.

$3000 a week. Maybe I need to change my profession.

99% of my minis will stand very nicely for farrier work, just tied. Like all animals, sometimes they get a little more movement than you want between changing feet..........but, that's no big deal, they just move around a little, no rearing, kicking, etc. A couple are downright unwilling to stand still but will do so after a quick owner reprimand. Over 50% of my herd of 40 are 30" and under, so there's a lot of "down low" work. In my opinion, it does take longer to do the larger hooves. But, agree that the farrier deserves fair pay and a disciplined animal, already caught and waiting. Those ones who don't want to be caught, play tag, etc., now they take up a lot of time!! Use some cunning and get those babes in a small pen, waiting and ready. The farrier looses interest if they have to waste time watching a rodeo.

My biggest problem is getting the farrier on a schedule and working!!
default_wacko.png
: But, I'm my own farrier
default_yes.gif
: and this past week I've gotten 30 done of the 40, so close to being finished with round one. :bgrin Sunday, I hope to finish the last ten.....a big day if it goes as planned :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Fred, Linda B, is my farrier and I already adore her and the kids and she is wonderful with my fur kids and I already figured the cost of gas and all the price has to go up. My husband does pools and the drive time is incredible, the customer has to pay for that so the price went up. Linda, my kids are fine if you're late for us...no worries!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Whimsical if your farrier takes less time to do minis as it does to do a big horse hes not someone I would have doing my minis. My horses are nationally titled horses. Their feet and all my clients horses [large and small] are very important to me. I also do very high caliber dressage horses and I take just as much time doing their feet as I do my own or even the backyard horses I do. It takes time to do a good job. Like I said you get what you pay for and the vet charges the same for all size horses. Also if you do 50 minis in a day the PROPER way your body won't let you do any for a very long time after. Gas, insurance, wear and tear on the truck, inventory, [to rework my nippers alone is $85] and my time is expensive. If you think its that easy and you make that much money c'mon out and I'll take you around for a day. Linda b

Oh, and by the way gas is 2.89 a gallon for the cheap stuff up here. 20 gallons lasts me less than a day with my truck which I need as it has my forge, tanks and other equipment. Linda B

Okay, the price of gas went up so it costs more to get to you, so the price of a trim will increase as well. If the farrier never increased the prices, there would never even be a "cost of living" raise in their lives. The cost of a trim also includes the cost of the equipment they use to trim your horse. A rasp wears out after 25 miniatures and a good rasp costs $20. So, 50 minis, 2 rasps. Then, there is the "low" work. A big horse may take more time, but a miniature is more low down and that causes problems in itself. If my farrier only took 10 minutes to trim my horse, I would be very upset! I expect a good, balanced trim and spending a little over 2 minutes a hoof is NOT going to get me there.

Farrier work is HARD work, it's not easy money by a long shot. You may have good, well-behaved horses, but the next person may not. You may have your horses up and ready for the farrier...haltered and fly sprayed, but the next person may not. You may be ready on time, but the next person is busy feeding when the farrier arrives for a scheduled appointment. I've seen my farrier working in full sun, 100 degree heat, sweat pouring off of him to give my minis a good trim and I am SO appreciative!

A good farrier is extremely hard to find and I am very lucky to have the one I do. He takes his time and makes sure my horses are balanced, correct, and comfortable. He calls to remind me that it is time for his visit and I make sure my horses are ready and trained for him. I even, gasp, tip him when he's done!

It is actually easier to do a big horse than a mini and its because the mini foot is so small. I find it much easier to trim a "big" horse than a mini any day. Plus the fact a lot of minis seem to have tough rock hard feet. If the feet are dry and hard you might be lucky to get 10 horses done with one file and if its a foundered horse it will kill one file alone. Some of the people [note I said some] that complain about farriers are the ones who don't want to pay for quality work or won't admit their horses aren't the best behaved or live in a mud pit. I may get flamed for this but it is the truth because I deal with it on a daily basis. I am fortunate though because 90% of my clients are the absolute greatest and they treat their horses extremely well along with me. I have done this for 18 years and believe me a lot of you would be so horrified with some of the things I have seen in that time with owners who "love" their horses. Linda B

I LOVE OUR FARRIER! I cannot show how much we appreciate him enough. He is here, every six weeks like clockwork, rain or shine... hot or cold. Before we had David, (I got him from the equine vet's referral for dealing with problem hooves), we had a mare that was being boared.. (she's a halter shown QH), and her hooves got worse and worse and worse. I heard a million reasons for the problems she had, but the bottom line was the barn's farrier, said she needed shoes on all four hooves, the glue on kind for $125. a hoof... EVERY TWO WEEK! She kept throwing a shoe, so sometimes she needed a few shoes thrown in the middle of her two week routine! I do not even want to think HOW MUCH WE SPENT on her shoes! (I don't think I can count that high..... could have gotten another horse!) Well, finally the vet was called, and that's when I got the referral to our current and always farrier. He took off these stupid shoes and she had thrush. (Darn big surprise there...)

Now our forever farrier... (if he moves... we're all going!) charges $30.00s a trim or visit if he's just checking on hooves. He has a website, and if I think someone's hooves have a problem.. (like this mares), I could photo them, and e-mail him pixs... to either have him call me, and tell me, NO BIG DEAL... or.. I'll be there in the morning. I can't say how much we appreciate him.... and his wife.

So, you know what happens??? I tell a few of the neighbors, how pleased I am with our farrier, and they tell me how horrible their farrier is, but when it comes to $30 for a trim... they refuse to call him because of the price... you get what you pay for!

Now a neighbor down the street has a stallion TB that has hooves that look like sea shells... broken, cracked, etc. I have rarely seen such bad hooves... (and I work part time at the local equine vets)... but you know what... that neighbor swears by his farrier... ... WHY??? Because the man comes there, once a month, and only charges him $15.00s! DUMB@#$% This is the same farrier... that put our QH mare in the glue on shoes. Again... you get what you pay for!

We only have five horses.. (four minis and the QH)... and I would never dare ask our farrier for a multiple horse discount. It's just not worth it, to end up with a rotten farrier over a few bucks. If one of our herd acts up, or is a problem horse having a bad day... the farrier, certainly isn't going to ask for an extra $5.00s... because Horsezilla was acting up AGAIN. (He doesn't act up, since we have had this farrier).

I love our farrier, and I so appreciate those that work their butts off, risk bad backs, cut their hands on a new rasp, and love our horses enough to take such good care of them. God Bless Farriers!

If you need a new one... call your vet!

God Bless,

Lynn W

P.S. And Linda B.... you wouldn't believe what I see at the vet's office in the name of.. someone "loves" their horse.

'Fred'(Linda B.)has it just right! I am not a pro, but I HAVE been doing my own minis for 22 years, and I shod my own QH a couple of times around 30 years ago(out of frustration at not being able to get a decent farrier in the little AZ town we lived in at the time...)-and, have trimmed my own 'bigs', including a mule, a few times in the intervening years. I would say that doing mini hooves 'should be' comparable in both time and difficulty, all else being equal,to doing 'big horse' hooves--and I darn sure wouldn't want my horses done by anyone doing 50 in a day! It is true that some minis have feet like IRON-and additionally, that the sole on some grows down with the wall, adding to both the challenge and the difficulty of doing a proper and safe trim. Hoof trimming, not to mention shoeing, is VERY hard physical work--and yes, there are MANY whose horses aren't properly trained for having their feet worked on. Are there 'bad' farriers...yes, I've seen some sorry work over the years-so you need to look for someone with good references from other KNOWLEDGABLE horse people! Though I think it possible that a farrier might be willing to charge MODESTLY LESS to TRIM a mini than to trim a 'big', all things being comparable--you usually DO 'get what you pay for', even though theremay occasionally be an exception to the rule(some years ago, I 'got' one who thought he was God's gift to the world, charged MUCH more than others were, at the time-yet really wasn't very good-he didn't come here but a couple of times...). I have a great guy now(I do have a 'big', and I do have her shod, for about 8-9 months of the year)-Frank is a GENUINE cowboy, but knows his stuff, takes his time, does a good basic shoeing job. GOOD farriers darn sure earn what they make-and in these times, you should expect that they will have to charge more, due to the nature of their work.

I have often had mini owners wanting me to 'show them how to do their own'. Once upon a time, I did--but I don't anymore, as I have seen too many who really don't know enough, go right ahead--to the horses' detriment! (An area owner, a 'newbie' to horses, period, comes to mind; she went to one Martha somebody clinic, and right away, she trims her own--next I hear about the mare she recently bought and bloody feet--makes me just CRINGE....!)The first thing you need is a good EYE, to SEE hoof angles, whether a hoof is level, whether the heel is too high, the toe too long, etc., etc.--and most 'lay' people do NOT have, and honestly, can not seem to develop, this vital ability, FIRST(even some otherwise competent farriers, in my observation, seem to have a problem with this, doing minis--I have seen this any number of times, and have no idea why it would be so....???? (The second thing you need is a really good set of TOOLS, and a conservative,non-hurried approach-again, not something many 'casual' owners are willing to opt for...)

BTW, GOOD farriery tools are not only expensive, but some are VERY SHARP, and must be handled with proper protection(leather farriery apron, for starters), and proper caution.

$30 for a trim is the going rate around here. And after trimming our own for a year, it's WELL worth it.

I'm going to agree with those who say that it's reasonable to be charged the same regardless of size. In fact, my ponies were harder than my big ones to trim. Both physically (it's a killer on the back and knees) and technically (getting the angles right). If a farrier is banging out a trim in 10 minutes, I doubt they are checking and correcting angles. That can make a huge difference in the horse's comfort and way of going.

I adore my new farrier. SHE (the local boys around here are still slack jawed over my farrier with waist-length blonde hair), treats each one of my horses and ponies as if they are on their way to a national-level performance event. She takes a lot of time and gets each one just right. She's done wonders for Ripple, who has tricky feet and, before Mary Ann started trimming her, catchy stifles. She's sound as a bell now.
default_yes.gif
:

Back