farrier

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lucky lodge

Reaction score
default_saludando.gif
how much do use all pay for farrier

in australia we pay $30 and some farriers charge $50

I was paying $46 until just recently for our one big horse and the two miniatures (each). I have my horses trimmed every 5 weeks.

I was recently referred to a trimmer who charges $35 for my daughter's big horse and $20 each for the minis - or it might be $30. I was charged $20 per mini by the new trimmer for balance work as I take them out on the road quite a lot there wasn't much hoof length to remove and on this occasion the trimmer felt it was unreasonable to charge me full mini price for a wee bit of levelling work on their hooves and putting on the roll. This was a refreshing approach towards customer satisfaction for me because my previous trimmer used to charge me the full $46 regardless of how much work was required. How much work the trimmer needs to do certainly depends on how much road work I have been doing and also at different times of the year the hooves grow faster so I don't expect this every time, but needless to say I was happy!

Before changing trimmers, I checked out the new trimmer's work on another clients horse and was happy with the quality - I certainly don't think the quality of the work is any less for me paying less!

Hey,
default_smile.png
my farrier charges $35 for each horse... including my minis. he does a good job and that is trimming no shoes. just wish he was more on time LOL

My farrier charges $35 for the big horse, $30 for the minis.

He is always on time...that is just awesome!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey,
default_smile.png
my farrier charges $35 for each horse... including my minis. he does a good job and that is trimming no shoes. just wish he was more on time LOL
Sounds like our farriers are related... Mine does a really good job, recently had to increase to $40, and is often late.
default_doh.gif
[i live in the middle of nowhere, so if I had a choice and he weren't so good with the horses, I'd probably send him packing; but I have no other choices with his skills (actually just about no choice at all).]

Wow! I hope my farrier never sees this thread!
default_biggrin.png
I am feeling very lucky - found a great farrier who is always on time, easy to get in touch with and he only charges $30.00 to trim the big horse and $15.00 for the minis. So, I can get all of mine trimmed for $75.00! He is also a trainer and shows on the QH circuit - I don't know how he has time to do it all. But I just hope he doesn't decide to quit trimming for other people!

Barbara

My farrier charges $25 per horse up to 4 horses, and $20 for more than 4. I love our farrier. He and his wife raised minis for a while and so they actually know what they're doing with their hooves. Love them!
aktion033.gif

$30 for a trim, full sized horses and the mini, hard or easy the same price. And he always shows up when he says he will.

I pay 40 per horse large or small. My farrier is the best. She is kind, patient always on time, knowledgeable and she brings a helper if I cant be there to hold my horses. If I call her and need her for an emergency she or an associate is there . To me she is Priceless.

$50 to trim full size, $60 to trim minis and $120 for set of shoes (sliders) for the reiners. I've used the same farrier for 10+ years and he is, without a doubt, the BEST!

Liz N.

I have, what I consider to be the most talented farrier that I've ever used and he only charges me $30/mini. He can be tough to get ahold of and sometimes doesn't return calls, but he's so talented that it is worth it. He has my horses set up beatuifully and takes great care to see that they are comfortable during the trimming process--something that was seriously lacking with my former farrier.

We recently gave our farrier a raise after being a faithful friend for 19 yrs. He calls us to schedule our horses every 6 weeks and has never been late. He was charging $15 and we increased it to $17 due to travel distance and gas prices. He trims or shoes over 400 horses on a regular basis and everybody who is fortunate enough to have him, loves him.

My farrier charges $30 for big and small. We give a tip because the mini gets testy after 3 feet and he has to get on the ground to do him. He comes when we think the horses need to be done. I like that he doesn't set up an appointment in advance. We had a farrier that came every 5 weeks if they needed it or not then did nothing but rasp the big horses. Let his dogs run loose around the neighborhood even though we have a leash law. Used to drive our dog nuts. That one was very expensive, we got so we couldnt afford him. There certainly is a shortage of farriers. We called our vet for help in finding one.

He comes when we think the horses need to be done. I like that he doesn't set up an appointment in advance. We had a farrier that came every 5 weeks if they needed it or not then did nothing but rasp the big horses.
My farrier comes every 4 weeks, has a four horse minimum to make it worth his trip. I have 11 minis and 3 saddle horses (2 are mine, one my husband's); I have a couple minis with special needs that need trimming every 4 weeks, the rest of the minis are on an 8 week schedule (unless something comes up), the saddle horses are trimmed when they need it, sometimes that's 8 weeks, sometimes 12. since the farrier comes every 4 weeks, I rotate the horses through the schedule as they need a trim.

Wow my $13 a head looks pretty good from here!!
default_biggrin.png

wow I wish my farrier would charge $15 per mini!! I mean they have such tiny feet and it doesn't take long!! GOSH! and he is constantly late! Chandab I reckon they are!! LOL
default_frusty.gif

Well, I am the local mini equine farrier here. I charge $15 per mini. And they get a tastey treat when Im done too!
default_wub.png
I dont make set schedules as I dont believe in them. I say call me when you feel its time and I will be there! Every horses hoof is different and will grow differently during certian seasons. No reason to rip folks off and try to find something to trim if theres nothing really ready to trim and have a potential reason to cause a lame horse if its hoof is not ready.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back