Farrier issue

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HorseyGurl22

Reaction score
So I had made an appointment with the farrier to come yesterday morning at 8:00am to trim my mare and 2 minis feet. Well he never showed up! I tried calling him at about 8:30-8:45 and left a voice mail message saying we had an appointment at 8 it's now 8:30, hope everything is alright, if an emergancy has come up please call me so we can reschedule.

Well, it's the next day and I still haven't heard from him. I have used him once before and I liked his work, he was really good with my minis, and last time he did show up and on time. Do you think I should try calling him and finding out what happen? If a farrier did this to you would you go back to them for business?

I like to give people the benefit of the doubt at least once because things do happen, however, I do tend to give people too much slack and let a lot of things slid so that's why I'm asking for advise.

It is so hard to find good farriers, when I finally do find one, I do and will put up with his human ways.

He is late, can be rude, swears like a sailor, but, his work is excellent. I can tolerate him to make sure my minis get the best of care.

I would try one last time, just hope it wasn't a very bad emergency and that is why he has not been in touch.

Your farrier may have just forgotten! It's frustrating and irritatiting.
unsure.gif
unsure.gif
Try recontacting him and rescheduling. If he's good, he's worth his weight in gold! Because the good ones are rare, and one can put up with missed appointments, late arrivals, if he does the best job for your miniatures.

I HADD A FARRIER ONCE AND I HAD A SHOW COMING UP. MY MINI FELL AND A CHIPPED PART OF HER HOOF IT DID NOT HURT HER. BUT THE FARRIER NEVER CAME BEFORE THE SHOW SO WE HAD TO GO TO THE SHOW WITH A CHIPPED HOOF. LUCKILY WE DID VERY WELL .THE JUDGE WAS NOT LOOKING AT HER FEET

smile.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a good farrier. I called him to make an appointment, left messages, kept trying to reach him and couldn't and he didn't return my phone calls. I had started looking for another guy. Come to find out he had been kicked in the head by a big horse and had several stitches and had bed rest for several days. Poor guy, glad he's back though!
aktion033.gif

Horsey Girl, If you are in Ocala, I know an awesome farrier. He's so funny. He does show barns and high profile barns and is very fussy. When I first got his phone no. I had to call him about 50 times. He said he prefers the show barns.... not people with little horses in their back yard. He said he agreed to do our mini's so I'd quit bugging the heck out of him. Lol..

We recieved our mare Pressa with glue on shoes that were very very pricey. Once we found this farrier, he felt that she didn't need the corrective shoeing, and after an entire year of careful, consistant trims, she now has her old awesome hooves back again... (the people that purchased her as a weanling before we purchased her said she always had awesome feet until she was sold to the barn we purchased her from).

Anyway, David, our farrier, always tells me, I do my job, because I love horses. I don't particularly care for people, but I do love horses. He was abrupt when we first met him. Now we get along great.

But if I read your post to David... he'd tell me, guess that guy doesn't love horses, cause he'd never make a horse wait to get his hooves done. People waiting, he wouldn't care about... but when he says this is the date, the hooves need to be done..... DARN... they get done.

Also, on the subject of hooves... and again.. I say.. take my novice opinion for what it's worth.... David swears by Pendray's Solution Pro-Care Plus Hoof Conditioner. Now I mention that, because my NUT CASE HUSBAND who does hooves twice a day when he's on leave from the military, tried several types of hoof paint on his own skin. He loves this stuff. Hubby says that many hoof dressings have petroleum products in them, that are carcenogenics. THis stuff has a yellow paint handle... (no ingrediants listed on the label), but seems to be a large portion of aloe. Hubby tried this stuff on his skin... and said he had no irratation from it, vs other hoof dressings with pine tar. This stuff is for use for horses on a race track and/or in training for before and after workouts.

So... JMHO.... I'd get another farrier... and if you haven't tried the Pendrays stuff, I'd give it a shot. It's made in Micanopy, Fl. 32667. The phone no. is 352-591-1144. It's also cheaper then most other hoof paints, if you get it from T&T tack in Ocala.

God Bless,

Lynn W

P.S. David calls me the night before to make sure I remember the appt. He's never more then 5 mins late, and he brings books, DVD's etc.... on info I ask him about horses. Then he calls me on his cell phone, when he's on his way to our property... no scheduling problems here. And I know, if David didn't call me on his way here, there was a problem and that his wife would be calling me after dinner, that same day. Accidents happen, but I just wouldn't risk the hooves not getting cared for. If he's out of co-mish... it's not going to take care of your horse, anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
rolleyes.gif

I would give the guy one more chance. I am a farrier and believe me things

happen. On the other side of the coin, I have had clients forget the appointment.

been handed a manure covered urine soaked horse in mud up to its knees,

been left horses with no halter, or my all time favorite, after the horse is done

can you bill me? I love doing what I do but there are two sides to the coin.

Your farrier may just have forgotten or he may have dropped you. I really do

try to return calls and my husband says I should tell people when I drop them

and I truly try to but one lady would just not take NO for and answer. I had

refused to return the call and he unfortunately [or fortunately for me] picked up

the phone when she called. You know. he never tells me to call back anymore

on a client like that. I would give the guy another chance. Linda B
wub.gif

Latest posts

Back