Farrier cost

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We charge $15 per head for minis which is about 98% of our business.we set routes up and try to get everyone on board at the same time in an area that is why we dont have to charge a farm call or travel amount.

Our routes are expanding so feel free to contact me if you wish.

dawn
I'd get on your route, but you moved and are now 2x further than you were before.
default_sad.png
I have 8 minis and 3 saddle horses; two have laminitis issues and need trimming every 4 weeks.

My last farrier, who left to go to vet tech school, charged $30/horse. I've been on my own for 3 months, and got behind for awhile due to weather, but now we are starting to catch up.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here it has been a bit of an issue I had a good farrier but like others have said after awhile as his customer list grew he was taking less and less time and wanted to come more and more often and went from 25 per horse to 35 then he got in a mess with some drugs and gave up doing them at all so I found another farrier who I think had never done minis and he wanted 40 per horse so we had him for just over a year and my grandson went with him and learned all he could about trimming about 3 months ago this farrier decided it would be a good thing to kick one of my horses for misbehaving in the crossties and I fired him on the spot the mare was frightened not being mean so for the past 3 months my grandson has done all but my mare who has been foundered in the past for her I found someone who could do therapeutic trims and he does the rest and is doing a good job. yay. It is so nice to do a little trimming when they need it not have to wait at the whim of a farrier who may or may not show up when they say.

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
default_new_shocked.gif
default_new_shocked.gif
default_new_shocked.gif
I can not believe the $$$ from some of these farriers! It takes only 5-10 minutes to do a trim depending on how the horse is. It's $15 here with $10 house call fee in the county and $20 surrounding counties. At $25-$40, it sounds like a rip-off and it would be cheaper to do it yourself, like I do. I also learned to float my own minis teeth.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am in Kansas and my husband does most of my minis for me BUT we do take them to our farrier for our big horses when they need corrections and the farrier comes out and looks to make sure everyone is looking good on a regular basis. Our Farrier charges $35 a trim - it used to be $25 but he has had to go up over time but we have one mare that ALWAYS goes to the farrier with our biggies as she has deformed hooves and requires corrective action each trim and he does her for $10 since he is already doing our 2 biggies
default_smile.png
I know we have had quotes from others in the area that wanted anywhere from 15 a head to 45 a head but until our farrier retires (which hopefully wont be anytime soon) we will continue to use him.

I can't believe how much more we pay for vet services up

here in Maine. So its nice to finally see I'm getting something

less expensive for once!

I pay $15 a trim per horse. I have been using this farrier for

over ten years and he is the best. He always shows up when he

says he's going to, and will even come at 6:00 AM so I don't have

to be late for work. I have him out every six weeks and he gets on his

knees to do my minis. Of course I always have my horses haltered and

ready before he gets here, I offer him something to eat and drink, and

send him a card and money at Christmas - and I always pay in cash.

Hes getting older and I dread the day he decides to retire>
default_new_shocked.gif

I was paying $30 per mini. Then they went to $40 per mini. As I got more horses I figured I should start using my training and do it my self. Now there is a farrier here that charges $10, $15, $20 or maybe $25. It all depends on how he feels at the moment. Then you can make an appointment and he just never comes and never calls. So, once again, I do it myself.

I pay $30 a horse, and feel its worth the money, I love my farrier. Not only dose she do a good job, but shes good with the horses. My last farrier hit my horse with the wrasp (bad call on my part, but I was only 12 at the time, and she was very intimadating) I actually ended up in tears, and it took some time for him to be happy with getting his feet done.

Its nice with my dad being a horseshoer...but I think that he charges 15 or so for mini's and 25 for big horses to trim! and hes a really good farrier (not just saying that cause hes my dad!!LOL) but were out in Idaho...
default_smile.png

Here in Ontario Canada, the norm here is usually $15.00 a mini, some do charge $25.00 a horse.

So glad I have a good Mennonite that wanted to learn more about minis, and has been doing mine for about 3 years now and still only charges $7.00 a horse, babies are usually free.

He has gotten fast and really good, but we have halters on and from stallion to babies have been taught to go up the ramp for trimming. No back breakers here.

I believes he enjoys them as much as us.

He has noticed when we have sold one, and has started to know their names.
default_wub.png

My farrier price went up a bit when gas hit $4/gallon. I only have two minis too so he drives all the way to my place to do only two. Does anybody get discounts for larger numbers done at one stop? Just curious. I have never seen anybody near my place that will do for less than $25 per horse and there are quite a few that charge more than that.

I've used the same farrier for 15 years now! Had him with the big horses and he had no problem switching to the mini's! In fact....now he does mostly mini horses and donkeys!
default_smile.png
He was going to charge the same price as the big horses ($25) but when he saw how much easier the mini's were he dropped it to $15 each.
default_wub.png

In Kansas City, I have a great farrier who does my minis and big horses for $25/ea for trim no trip charge. She also does my two neighbors' horses at the same time. So in all for the day she will do 14 horses.

Here in SW Mo near Springfield. I pay $30.00 per mini. with no trip charge. He'll be even happeir now cause I have 2 more. He was really good about coming out to me special cause of having 2 and I live out in the boondocks. I won't have to feel guilty now. LOL!!!!!!! TJ

Latest posts

Back