Farm house project surprise for Hubby!!!!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Camelotcavs

Reaction score
So my husband is impossible to buy a gift for - if he wants something he just goes out and buys it.

As you can imagine this makes it nearly impossible to surprise him with something he really likes.

He had mentioned in the past that he wants three flagpoles in the yard, an American flag, a POW/MIA flag and ??? (can't remember the third one.) So I started looking for flagpoles and goodness are they pricey.

I found a Michigan company that does them and was at a loss as to which ones to get so......

I ordered this for him:

theflagpole-store_2124_6070837.jpg

It is 24" tall and aluminum. I figure he can pick out his own flagpoles! Did I also mention he loves eagles??? He has a full back tattoo of an eagle.

So then I contacted the aerial photography place and just got off the phone with them. I ordered these in 12x18's for him. They were taken in 1984 and I am surprised the barns were still standing then - I really did not think I would be able to find pics old enough.

aerialfarm1.jpg

aerialfarm1984.jpg

And I never knew there was another house where my pasture is now.

I am so stinking happy!!!!!!!!! I think I really got him this year!!!!!!

default_risa8.gif
default_risa8.gif
default_risa8.gif
default_risa8.gif
default_risa8.gif

default_new_multi.gif
default_new_multi.gif
default_new_multi.gif
default_new_multi.gif
default_new_multi.gif

better make sure he doesn't read over your shoulder while your here, or you may spoil your own surprise.

Very nice gifts.

Perfect gifts! He's going to love them! You dun good.
default_aktion033.gif

PERFECT!!!
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif

Those pics are awesome!!

You really need to get a metal detector and walk your whole place! Never know what you'll find!

Great gifts, he will be so happy and surprised. Maybe the third flag he wants is the Michigan flag? My hubby has an eagle on his back too.

Farm house is looking great too in your other post, lots of work but it will be well worth it when it's all done.

What neat gifts! The photos are something really neat to have. Are you going to have one done after your renovation is complete?

What awesome gifts...love the eagle! Did you own your farm in 84? The top picture looks like it shows 3 big barns in the back? Are they still standing? It would be neat to get a new one made so your husband can see all the changes made and all his "blood sweat and tears "

Is your surrounding area still big fields/pastures like that? Do you still have the circular driveway?Lots of ??'s, sorry, I just find old property and its history facinating.

I would have loved to put my Skillet in his cart and take afternoon drives out in front of your house......he just loves to trot, trot, trot but most of my area is to "busy" ...your road looks like a perfect spot!!

Thanks for sharing

What awesome gifts...love the eagle! Did you own your farm in 84? The top picture looks like it shows 3 big barns in the back? Are they still standing? It would be neat to get a new one made so your husband can see all the changes made and all his "blood sweat and tears "

Is your surrounding area still big fields/pastures like that? Do you still have the circular driveway?Lots of ??'s, sorry, I just find old property and its history facinating.

I would have loved to put my Skillet in his cart and take afternoon drives out in front of your house......he just loves to trot, trot, trot but most of my area is to "busy" ...your road looks like a perfect spot!!

Thanks for sharing

I have most details on my other thread 'progression of farm house".

We did not own it in 1984. This was our third summer of owning the property.

I would love to get an updated photo done, but the property is not ready for that yet.

Yes, the circle drive is still there and sooooooooo convenient. We are surrounded by fields.

This is all that is left of those beautiful barns:

barnmess.jpg

These were taken while standing at the road looking toward the back of the property - big barns to the left.

To give you an idea of how big those barns were: the little barn straight ahead with chimney is one we saved. In the 1984 pics it is the one closest to the field where the two little barns are. That barn is two stories and approx 30'x50' so the big barns are HUGE!!!!.

concretebarn.jpg

The road is hard surface now, but relatively quite. In our mile there is only 3 houses on our side and four on the other side. Most of the homes on this road are owned by the same family. This farm was one of them until it was foreclosed on.

I located Miss Alice, the woman who still owns the land around it. She is in her 80's and this farm was her great grandfather's homestead. She had deeded this chunk over to her son so her grandchildren would have a home. Her son died a few years back from hepatitis C - his mom said it was from drug use. His second wife mortgaged the property and then proceeded to shoot the money in her veins and up her nose. She also died from hepatitis c and the property was foreclosed before Miss Alice found out or she would have paid it off to keep the farmstead intact.

Miss Alice's son, Doc,and his children had pretty much ransacked anything decent out of the house and barns to hock for drug money. Miss Alice's grandson had even pulled the wiring out of the walls for money before he was evicted.

I have since learned the first wife also died from hepatitis c and Doc and his second wife's infant daughter died in the house under suspicious circumstances. Doc's son is in prison and the other daughter is in college thanks to Miss Alice.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gosh, what a story. Poor Miss Alice, hopefully she will rest in piece knowing that her long time home is being reborn.With what appeared to be going on in the house prior to I sure hope the house isnt haunted.

Gosh, what a story. Poor Miss Alice, hopefully she will rest in piece knowing that her long time home is being reborn.With what appeared to be going on in the house prior to I sure hope the house isnt haunted.
Was told the house sits on a ley line.

We won't even get into that aspect of this place - but I could tell you lots of stories......

What a great Christmas gift for your hubby! And what really neat history in that house. It may not have been a happy house when Miss Alices son and his kids were there but I bet it's just waiting for this new leaf to be turned over and a fresh start!
default_yes.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back