Farm ATVs

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigDogs & LittleHorses

Reaction score
I've been thinking about getting a quad for doing work around here, hauling hay, feed, horse poop, yard debris, etc. Wouldn't hurt if it was fun just to take it into the woods though, too!

Doesn't have to be fast like a Banshee or Blaster.
default_rolleyes.gif
I've got an old Tri-Moto 2-stroke 3-wheeler that I'm having fun restoring with right now
default_laugh.png

So what ATVs do you have and what do you like and dislike about them?
default_saludando.gif

Daryl

We have an Arctic Cat........It's about 5 years old now, bought new. STILL LOVE IT.

(knock on wood!)
default_biggrin.png

PS: An accessory we've found handy is the little trailer that can be hitched with it........We also have used the winch many times, for fencing mostly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, Daryl,

Remember how well I did driving your remote control dune buggy over the manure piles???

If you get an ATV, can I drive it? I bet I'd be even better now with my eyesight...

We have one of these. Absolutly love it! The best money we spent on "farm stuff". It will go anywhere, has a dump bed, is stable on rough ground and goes great on the road too! Add a little trailer and you can get rid of the pickup truck! We got it used with low hours/miles in 2002 and it's still going strong. Thats my Dad on it last year, so even older folks can enjoy it.

MVC-018F.jpg

A few years ago I talked my hubby into buying a Honda Foreman 4X4 with the electric shifting. He really didn't want it but said ok. After we got it, I hardly ever got to use it so we went back and bought a 250. We use them both every day. The Foreman has a speedometer and shows about 1200 miles and it isn't taken off our small farm of 5 acres. The down side is that is a lot of exercise we probably should have had but it sure saved a lot of walking. We have 4 trailers we pull behind them. Two are dump trailers we use for cleaning stalls. The other two are used for hauling hay and whatever else we need to haul. Love them and wouldn't give them up for anything.

We have a Polaris ranger - bench seat (seats 3 adults) with a dump bed. We use it everywhere as it's great for hauling anything in the back (hay, feed, water buckets, sprayers for the fence line, whatever).

Winter before last we added the roof & windshield so we get some protection now from the winter elements or even simple rain year round.

We like the bench seat because the kids can ride along also. It has made us pretty lazy as we tend to jump on that for everything rather than walking. The bench seat also comes in handy when giving visitors a tour of the farm and horses.

It's camo pattern so the guys can "borrow" it sometimes to go hunting. LOL We're pretty stingy with it actually. LOL

Gosh~~ our farm wouldnt be complete without the use of the ATV's. We use them for everything. I have (and love) my golfcart, which Bob did make a dump box for and a Mule, which is about 6 yrs old and has a dump box,( I know these are not ATV's but come in just as handy!) but we also have a Yamaha 4x4 Grizzly 600 which is 2 yrs old, and is a genuine workhorse, and our old and faithful Honda Big Red, which is now about 20 yrs old, and the only thing we ever had to do is replace the seat. (it was parked in a horse pasture for about 2 hours and one of the horses thought it looked like a good chew toy
default_no.gif
) We also live very close to a national forest with miles and miles of trails, so on occassion the guys take them out for a day of fun playing in the mud. They come in so handy for just about everything. They really come in handy for running back and forth to our daughters house who has a home on our farm, but its about 80 acres away. I'm too lazy to walk!

We also have a Polaris Ranger and LOOOOVE it. We use it for everything. The only drawback in winter when we have extended cold spells we have to change the oil often as there will be condensation that could ruin the engine. I f you live in warm climate no issue. We also have a 400 Polaris Which we used before the Ranger but I love the ranger because I have trouble with my shoulder and wrist and the Ranger has a steering wheel instead of handle bars and the gas is on the floor just like a regualr vehicle the thumb throttle always bothered my wrist but then Im old. We use the dump body for cleaning out and we hose it down and use it for debris and hay and hauling water what ever we have to do. I wouldnt be without it. I would sell our tractor first. lol

One word: ROVER!

This is my Yerf Dog Rover and I cannot be without her. I keep her in the isleway and she takes my poop away and dumps it. I haul hay on her, feed, shavings, everything. She is very strong and I've pulled trucks out of the mud with her too. She doesn't sink in the mud, and goes over any terrain easily, snow, ice, water. Much cheaper than a John Deere brand also.

1004264-1.jpg

Rover1-1.png

barnpics003.jpg

Of course you can ride it, susanne. We'll just lock the steering wheel turned all the way and keep it in first gear, too.
default_wink.png

We'll put you out in the middle of the field.

You can go in circles for as long as you like!
default_aktion033.gif

Daryl

Hey, Daryl,
Remember how well I did driving your remote control dune buggy over the manure piles???

If you get an ATV, can I drive it? I bet I'd be even better now with my eyesight...

We have an 06 Honda Foreman 4x4 and an 02 Honda Recon 2x4 and we LOVE them. I just asked hubby why those types in perticular and he said power, dependability, and performance. His one before the 06 was a 98 Honda Fourtrax 4x4 and it was a beast! We use ours for work and play and we are not easy on them. Hubby has a few extras on his Foreman like 2500lb warn winch, 60 inch snow plow, 1.25 inch recievers in front and rear, 26 inch gbc gator tires and a few other things I can't name off hand. Hubby also says he likes the manual shifting of these verses the belt driven automatics. We love them and use them alot! They are a staple in our every day farm life!

Leya

quick edit to say, hubby said the only complaint was the price!!!
default_wink.png

016.jpg

015-1.jpg

We have a suzuki vinson.... It is a 4x4 and I believe 500cc... It is big and has alot of power
default_smile.png
My husband uses it for his cattle as well as both of us use it around the house for various things... We have a little dump bed trailer that we can pull behind it and we have a sprayer that we can hook to it and kill the pesky weeds..... Very handy for about anything we have need it for....

Mine is called "MY TWO LEGS AND ARMS", and includes a Ranch cart, a manure fork, scoop shovel, and broom.

Margo

Mine is called "MY TWO LEGS AND ARMS", and includes a Ranch cart, a manure fork, scoop shovel, and broom.
Margo

This was ours too, and then I found an old (10 years old) Cushman Hawk, utility vehicle. I think that they don't even make them anymore, but it was a heck of a deal, and it runs (though it needs a muffler, lol) Two seats and a bed that doesn't dump anymore, but wow, has this thing been handy!! It's saving my hubby's back big time, and he was sceptical when I wanted to get a vehicle like this. He didn't think we'd use one much, and now, what HAVEN'T we used it for? Granted, the new ones are easily 10K, which is surely a big reason he was sceptical, lol, but this bargain one, he raves about.

Back