False Information @ PetsMart about Miniature Horses

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MiniLover2006

Reaction score
Well I was just browsing around online at Petsmart and I came across a article about Miniature Horses and it said and I quote

"In 1978, The American Miniature Horse Association (AMHA) was formed and is now the only registry in existence that deals exclusively with true Miniatures, 34" and under. Ponies over 34" tall are not considered Miniatures"

What do you think? Are they right? If not, should I write an E-mail to them giving them the correct information.

well i think the word "exclusively" is the key word. many of the other mini registries such as AMHR deal also in shetlands and WCMHR also has their show pony registry ect. I think it depends on how you want to interpret it..but the "exclusively" in miniatures could be the defining factor.

what should I put....

Yeah but wouldn't it be better to include those Miniature Horses in the AMHR that are over 34" and not just say that when they are over 34" they are considered a pony. There is a Division A and B....

I understand what you are saying but when I first read this I was like this isn't right....I think it needs to be reworded better.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know, but I do know that my boy is still a mini and he's over 34"
default_smile.png
He's just not a class A mini. Was this a Petsmart article or just something Petsmart happened to be selling?

i sent them an email informing them of their mistake

in i guess being led to think the amha was the only registry

for miniature horses

I bet they hear from a few people

I think your right in sending them an e-mail reguarding it as it is misleading! That is not the first time i've heard of AMHA being the only registry for mini's.

I got an email from a kid who came across my website a little while about and seen my B size horses and sent me a rather rude email bc he hadnt done research or came across wrong research and was in belief that miniatures are under 34''. I was a bit affended that i had to stick up for my horses. I'm sure there not trying to do anything on purpose but i do think people can read something like that (like this kid did) and take it the way it sounds. Then agian, look at the amha website and it says a miniature is 34'' and under, they say nothing about the B size horses. Yes they deal with A size only but the way they word it makes it sound like 34'' and under is the cutt off height. I really wouldnt worry about it, i dont think to many people are going to petsmart to educate themselves about miniatures lol.
default_smile.png

Here is there article about Miniature Horses:

http://www.petsmart.com/global/articles/ar...=Horse&N=156694

*Check it out*

Leeana- So true, but you never know who will go to petsmart for information. Like me, I was just browsing around seeing if they had any Mini Tack...even though I don't need any right now.....LOL

It is really misleading for a person who knows little about these wonderfull animals!
default_smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
the most effective thing to do would be contact Johnny Rob at amhr and have her put out a press release to petsmart with information on both divisions of miniatures. Johnnys job is to promote amhr/aspc so put it in her hands
default_smile.png

Considering they are using information from AMHA, I can see where they are using 34" as the guide line. The incorrect part is that over 34" isn't a mini, but other than the 50 year old mini, I think its a pretty good little article. It does go so far as to say that even though they are small you should get experience in handling them. And that only small children should be allowed to ride them. It should be easy to get the height thing corrected. I can check with the stores I work in and see who to contact to try and get it corrected. But considering what is usually in these types of articles about minis, its not bad at all.

Hmmm guess I got myself a herd full of False minis then
default_wacko.png
:

My guess is they based that article on what they seen on the AMHA website. I guess it wouldnt hurt to contact someone and have them change the article but i can think of so many more articles or pages about miniatures that i have came across that state American Miniatures are 34'' and under. I think that allot of these pages are based off what they get off the AMHA website. When you google, yahoo ext Miniature Horse ...AMHA is the first website to come up. Maybe if we got something about the B division put on the amha website that would be the next step to getting correct info out there?

Just some thoughts

"In 1978, The American Miniature Horse Association (AMHA) was formed and is now the only registry in existence that deals exclusively with true Miniatures, 34" and under.

If it is read right I think there isn't a problem with it. It is true that AMHA is the only registry that deals exclusively with true Miniatures, 34 " and under....the other registries deal with Miniatures up to and including 38"! Nothing is said about there not being other registries. Perhaps the "true" might offend those who have the larger miniatures but it really shouldn't because they aren't AMHA.....know I'm not!! :bgrin Mary

I think buckskin gal got it right. AMHA is the only registry that deals exclusively with 34" & under Minis, and as far as AMHA is concerned, if it's over 34" then it isn't a Mini.

It would be nice if PetSmart added in a blerb about AMHR and their size range as well.

Well if they are going to give information about Miniature Horses they should include those horses that are over 34". They are still a Miniature horse but in a different division and registry....

I agree with everyone and I understand everyones point of view but you got to include the 34" and over Miniature Horses and not just say they are ponies.
default_yes.gif
:

Lisa-Ruff N Tuff Minis- Yep you got some false Mini's acording to that article...
default_wacko.png
:

default_wink.png
: I love you guys!
default_wub.png
:

Well l just read it and didn't come across anything misleading not a thing it's what the AMHA is all about. The only sour apples l see HERE is that there is no reference made to the AMHR but then thats another registry altogether and they should ask for a plug on the site also.. :bgrin

Well.. True in the AMHA B's aren not Recognized. But they are still not ponies how about Suggesting they also include that int he AMHR registry a Horse over 34" is still considered a miniature just B Division.

Well I was just browsing around online at Petsmart and I came across a article about Miniature Horses and it said and I quote

"In 1978, The American Miniature Horse Association (AMHA) was formed and is now the only registry in existence that deals exclusively with true Miniatures, 34" and under. Ponies over 34" tall are not considered Miniatures"

What do you think? Are they right? If not, should I write an E-mail to them giving them the correct information.
Actually the information is perfectly correct for an AMHA registered horse. And since that is the registry being given their is no correction needed.

It's correct to me besides the "true" part. Sorry, but, I still consider my guy a "true" miniature, and he's 37 inches.
default_yes.gif
:

AMHR does need a plug :lol:

Latest posts

Back