fallen crest

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minis_4ever<3

Reaction score
my mare has a fallen crest! but im not sure how to get rid of it!! i know it can be done !! but how?????????
default_wink.png
:
default_sad.png

-cara

To the best of my knowledge, it is not something that can be undone -- if it truly is a fallen crest.

It may be improved with some of these things, depending on the animals needs -- weight loss, thinning the mane if heavy, pulling the mane to the opposite side and braiding/weighing it (or both), possibly some mineral supplements such as magnesium (has been reported to help cresty stallions, not fallen but cresty).

Why don't you post a picture both sides, so we can see what you are terming "fallen crest". That is actually when the ligaments have given way and you can rarely correct this entirely. It is, by the way, a hereditary thing. Have you had the mare tested for thyroid? Are you talking heavy crest, not fallen? That can be tremendously helped, even eliminated in some instances.

It would be FANTASTIC if someone has a method to truly correct a fallen crest. Well, I'm not talking surgical.

Last edited by a moderator:
One of my geldings had a fallen crest when I got him. I first thinned out his very thick mane by undercutting and then tried to keep it pulled to the other side....that wouldn't work, so the trimmed part ended up being on the outside of the mane....no big deal since I don't show, but I have to keep it clipped or he looks like a zebra....he was a little thin when I got him, since he put on weight the crest has come back up and is normal now, but I still keep his very thick mane thinned out. If the crest is broken on your mare, I don't think there is a fix for that, but if it is just fallen, they can sometimes be fixed by trimming the mane and building the neck up some.

Actually, Sonya, the term "broken" is probably more descriptive and correct....it's what I'm talking about above.

We really need pics to see how badly the neck is over.
default_yes.gif
:

Latest posts

Back