Face abcess

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If the pills are SMZ's/Sulfa (They look like large white tablets) they will dissolve in liquid....or you can grind them up in a coffee bean grinder.

The larger the syringe, the larger the tip. We tend to use a 60 cc. syringe for oral meds.

I've only given antibiotics twice, both pill form. I crushed it and put it in the feed. The first horse gobbled it and never batted an eye. The second one didn't like it, but he ate his feed. I would have looked for Plan B, the syringe pictured, if he had not eaten it

Try top dressing first. I left mine alone with his feed dish for several hours and he did clean it all up. We were both glad when the dose was over, though!

Miniv, that's what it is.

She did eat it when I mixed them with honey and a crushed treat in the Dewormer tube. She actually enjoyed it and thought it was a treat, so that was a huge relief! Since she likes it that way, that's what I will continue to do, and needing to give her two tubes of it shouldn't be a problem since I know she won't give me a fight over it
default_smile.png

"A spoonful of sugar makes the medicine go down....makes the medicine go down." LOL.

Our mare, Scarlett, had an infected tooth root that presented almost exactly as the photo of your mare, and it also burst. She was fortunate that the infection did not go into the sinuses, but they thought they would have to extract the tooth -- a rather involved process for such a young horse (she was two years at the time). Hoping to avoid this, he gave her two injections of the antibiotic, Excede, and between that and daily hot compresses and betadine, it cleared up. Use of Excede is tightly limited, but you could ask. The only problem now is that Scarlett has very limited patience for having her face fussed with.

Did your vet x-ray? If this does not clear up, I would ask him to do so, as this clearly showed where Scarlett's problem was.

Our mare, Scarlett, had an tooth infection that presented almost exactly like the photo of your mare. It also burst, leaving a hole in her head (no comments, please!). Our vet initially thought it would need to be extracted via surgery, but as a last ditch attempt to avoid this, she prescribed the antibiotic Excede (very rarely used, due to antibiotic resistance...Excede is one of the few without resistance). After two injections of this and daily hot compresses and betadine, it cleared up.

If this does not clear up, ask your vet to x-ray, as this very clearly showed the problem.

(BTW, the first vet that saw her thought it was a bee sting.)

I have 3 that don't like needles, they do better when I give the shots, if I can keep my nerves in check. The vet was out for other work this spring, already, so I had her vaccinate everyone for me. A little awkward, but we had the best luck on those three difficult horses if we were both on the same side, so horse didn't realize two of use were right beside (vet vaccinates in the neck, hence awkward)
Anytime two people are working on a horse, you should be on the same side, doesn't make 'em as nervous or to where they keep trying to keep an eye on two people on different side, easier when it's just one. Anytime we do anything like vax or giver shots or if hubby is shoeing one that I'm holding, I'm in the same side. Also a bit of a saftey thing if the other person is towards the back end because you can pull that end away from them, vs into them.

Anytime two people are working on a horse, you should be on the same side, doesn't make 'em as nervous or to where they keep trying to keep an eye on two people on different side, easier when it's just one. Anytime we do anything like vax or giver shots or if hubby is shoeing one that I'm holding, I'm in the same side. Also a bit of a saftey thing if the other person is towards the back end because you can pull that end away from them, vs into them.
Makes sense to me, but on the first horse, the vet walked up to the opposite side and all heck broke loose, so I recommended same side, which she did for the difficult ones, but I think she did opposite for the others. Will have to work on this. [Yes, when I had a farrier, we always were on the same side for just the reasons you mentioned.]

I can't really tell if she's getting better or not :/ She's not getting worse, though, so that's good

She may need a different antibiotic, could be what she is on is not working because of bacterial resistance. Did the vet do a culture on the drainage?

If it is healing from the inside out, which it should do, that could make it hard to tell if she is improving as you can't "see" the healing. How is her general demeanor? Is she perky with a good appetite? That can be a good indicator of how she is feeling over all. And her temp, too.

I hope you notice a big improvement soon!

Hate to say this, but you should have the vet follow up on the healing. It's been enough days that you should see an

improvement with the abscess by now.

She's still acting normal. Her appetite went down right after the vet came, but she's eating like normal again. The abscess is looking better, the scabby stuff fell off really nice yesterday and it stopped stinking, it was also a healthy looking pink color under the scab and I think the circumference is getting smaller, but it's still draining puss from a small spot. Last night made it a week of being on the antibiotic. He wanted me to call him after she's finished with the antibiotic and let him know how she's doing, but I think I may need to call him sooner. Shouldn't the puss be gone by now?

I know I would want no pus oozing before antibiotics end. I know the antibiotics will be in her system for a while after ending, but I would be worried about infection returning. Wouldn't hurt to call and ask vet, since your vet seems nicer than most of the vets here in Tucson, AZ.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not flushing it. He didn't want me to do anything with the abscess other than giving her the antibiotic.

It took weeks to get there, it will take more than 1 to heal. Be patient. Even after the antibiotics have 'stopped,' they stay in the system 2/3 days (or more depending not on the drug!) and continue to do their job.

Sunday morning was her last dose. Yesterday it was gross and stinking again
default_sad.png

Called the vet last night and he didn't answer. I will call again tonight.

I don't know if he will want to come and clean it again and try a stronger antibiotic since the puss never went away while she was on the antibiotic, or if he will just want me to take her to a hospital (which I will either need to find one that will take payments, or put her back on antibiotics to keep it controlled and keep the smell away until I can afford to take her to the hospital)

Latest posts

Back