Face abcess

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NewToMini's

Reaction score
My mare has a face abcess
default_sad.png
I noticed a hard bump on her cheek a month or so ago, so I looked through old pictures, and she had it in August, too (barely). Last week the dentist came out, and I had him look at her, and he couldn't tell what the bump was. Today, I got her out to go for a walk, and it looked very round, and she was missing some hair, so I took a closer look and it was leaking out of two tiny holes, and had gotten squishy, so I knew it was an abscess. Called the vet and he'll be out on Thursday to take a look at her. I feel so sorry for my poor baby, she's acting normal, but I'm sure it hurts
default_sad.png
Can't wait till it drains to relieve some pressure and make her feel better.

One question, why would it take so long to develop, and will he likely gie her antibiotics, or just drain it?

They just take time to develop esp if they are quite deep. The vet will drain it, and give anti-biotics and pain relief. I would, if possible, give her a hot cloth to the abscess to try and draw it out a little more, so that it drains a bit more to relieve the pressure. If you have clippers, clip the area as gently as possible so that there is less likelyhood of a secondary infection. I would also be inclined to rub some antibiotic cream on the area after the vets been. As it has taken so long, be sure to check there is nothing stuck in there like a thorn or even a little tumor - but the vet will do that.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have some vetericyn, would it work better than an antibiotic ointment?

He was saying that abscesses on the cheek are often caused by them biting their cheeks if their teeth are too sharp. She had her teeth done in June (by someone else), so she would have had to have bitten her cheek before then, unless he accidentally got her cheek with the file when he did her teeth. I never noticed any cuts or scratches on her face, but she does like to scratch it on some boards in the barn, so she could have gotten a splinter from that.

He also said to call him if it gets worse. Would worse be if it opens up more to drain (that would be good, though, right?), or if she starts acting differently?

It could be from the teeth; did the dentist use a speculum to really look in there? Maybe there's a rouge tooth.

Where exactly is the abscess?

If it opens more to drain again the danger is a secondary infection. It will need cleaned thoroughly and antibs. I would get the vet sooner if it grows more cause the bigger it is the more painful it is (talking from personal experience!)

Veterycin should be okay just make sure to clean the wound when it's burst too. Vet will give best instructions.

Have you taken her temp? If she has one the vet probably ought to know as he might want to come out sooner. I would do what Rocklone suggested, clip the area and put warm compresses on it several times a day followed by antibiotic ointment until the vet comes.

It could be from teeth, but every face abscess I've ever dealt with is from a sliver. Livestock rub on fence posts etc, and that's how they get in there.

Flush it with hot water and wait for the vet. I have many gruesome sliver stories (and pics) but if you aren't experienced there are a lot of veins there to hit

The dentist doesn't have a mini sized thing-that-holds-their-mouth-open, so he had to just feel her teeth with his hands.

It's not open enough to flush with anything right now. The vet did say to use a syringe without the needle and syringe some peroxide in it, before I told him that the holes are so tiny (he did say it will probably open up more, where the hair is lost), so when/if it opens more before he comes, I will be doing that.

The abscess is on the top edge on her cheek bone, under her eye.

Here is a picture I took about 3 weeks ago, so you can get an idea where it's at. It was still kinda small in the picture. It's the size of a golf ball now.

I also don't have a thermometer for the horses (will be getting one now... Do they sell horse thermometers, or will I need to just get a people one?)

IMAG1607.jpg

Not sure if that is one involving teeth or jaw or not, seems a bit high...

Thermometers come in all shapes and sizes and yes they do make both the "old" style bulb types and the new digital types for horses - carried online, in catalogs and should be at your local feed/tack stores. BUT you can also utilize a simple digital one from any pharmacy section of a store (including the Dollar Store or Family Dollar).

I had a Hackney pony mare get stung by a bee - didn't think anything of it - except that the swelling never seemed to go all the way back to "normal" for her face. Then it became abscessed and we found that the bee's stinger hadn't ever come out of the side of her face.

I have also had slivers become problems in the face/head, have a few stories, but few if any pictures.

Could that abscess be due to a plugged tear duct? Or maybe even an infected sinus? While waiting for the vet, can you shave the hair in the area, and soak hot salt compresses on it a few times a day? It may help bring it to a head to relieve some pressure.

Last edited by a moderator:
That is kind of high for a tooth or check issue but it could possibly be. I would make sure there is nothing in there, esp if she likes to rub, she could have a sliver stuck in there and that is why it is abscessing.

Definitely take her temp. A normal temp is between 98 to 101 degrees. And it's good that the vet is coming.

The vet may lance it to cause it to drain and then flush it with an antibiotic solution. The flushing will need to be continued

as the abscess has to heal from the inside out. Also, the flushing will hopefully get the foreign object out that caused the

abscess in the first place.

If the vet suspects an infected tear duct or sinus, the flushing will still be done the same. If you're not squeamish, you

could ask your vet to teach you about the daily flushing so he/she doesn't have to come out.

Her abscess busted today, it drained partially but not completely. I tried to pour (too squeamish to syringe...) the peroxide on/in it, but I was worried about it getting in her eye, and she wouldn't stay still, so I sprayed veterycin in it. I will go out again in about 30 minutes to check on her and spray it again. She also had a fly land on it when I was trying to put the peroxide in it, so I sprayed fly spray on her (not on the abscess), and rubbed the fly spray on the front of her face and on/in her ears.

I think once the vet comes, as long as he gets it cleaned out, I will be fine flushing it. The pus is what bothers me most

Yes the puss is gross, but the flushing is so important. just a plain syringe to flush with peroxide, no needle needed; just fill with peroxide, put the tip in the hole and slowly push the plunger, the peroxide and goo will likely squeeze back out around the syringe, hence the reason to go slow or the back pressure causes it to spray on you. [Ask me how I know...]

Do you have foxtail in your hay? Once had a mare that had driven the foxtail head into the upper part of her mouth and it worked it's way deep and formed an abcess. It cleared up with treatment and I found a different place to buy hay.

Also, if you are worried about getting peroxide in her eye while using the syringe, try this.

Tie the mare up. Standing beside her, but facing forward, place a rag or cloth of some sort, which you have cupped in your hand. With your right hand, squirt the peroxide into the abscess. Basically, your wrist will be turned towards you. You will be using your arm and body to cover that eye and sort of steady the mare.

I don't have clippers.

And I've never heard of foxtail, not sure it grows around here

Please post about the vet's visit....

Ask him if it's okay to continue using peroxide.....I personally prefer using vetericyn (sp) or iodine/betadine.

You might try placing a warm moist wash cloth over her eyes and massage her with it a little. Leave the cloth

over her eye while flushing.

Once there is an opening to the abscess, I will stick the tip (no needle!) of a 3 cc. syringe filled with the antibiotic up inside

the hole and gently express the syringe. Then, gently press against the abscess until the liquid (and puss) oozes

out. I then put more antibiotic back up inside and leave it. The wash cloth can be used to dab and clean her face

and be washed thoroughly....Use a fresh cloth the next time. It needs to be done daily at least.

You'll start noticing that the abscess will begin shrinking over a few days as the healing begins from the inside out.

Eventually, it will be all flat and gone.....Apply some pressure just to make sure all infection is gone and if so, just dab.

Oh, and...just to warn you....as long as there is an abscess, you'll have to re-open that hole every time.....You can

be gentle by using the wash cloth or use the syringe to relocate the opening.

It's not pleasant.....but I've done it to horses, dogs, cats (including other people's who were too squeamish) and I've

noticed they ALL appreciated it! I think they recognized what I was trying to do and getting rid of the pressure was

a relief to them.

Thank you for the instructions. I do have veterycin to use if it's better than peroxide.

The vet is running late, but I will definitely update after he's been here

Back