Eye Problem- Hay in eye-reuccuring

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kootenay

Reaction score
Hi everyone.

I tried to search for this to no avail,

Does anyone have a miniature horse who likes to "burrow" into their hay, and constantly have bits of hay getting stuck in their eyes? My little grulla mare has this problem, and only on her left side. I will be getting the vet out to flush the eye and make sure there are no other underlying problems.

I have cleaned out hay and gunk numerous times, and have it happen all over again. I have confirmed that it is hay, as that is what is removed when I clean the eye.

Thoughts?

(I am going to change how I feed her though--by laying the hay out along a fence line spread out, as opposed to it being served in a hay feeder).

You can flush her eye yourself with eye wash and that will help her.

The only thing I can suggest would be a fly mask.

I do think changing the way you feed may help. Some horses just like to shovel their food out.

The only thing I can suggest would be a fly mask.
I did try a brand new fly mask, and between my other mini and the goat, that mask was torn to shreds in less than 8 hours. Once the ground is easier to sink more fence posts, I will try and separate her, but for now I think the only way is to feed her differently.

Thank you for the advice though, much appreciated.

:Kim

I have had minis burrow their heads in the hay and flip it on the ground out of the containers i put it in. I got tired of raking up hay so my solution......

I got a large plastic drum, cut off the top 1/4 and the bottom 1/4, and cut a hole in the top, I us it as a top and bottom, put the hay in the bottom, place the top over it, they pull the hay out through the hole in the center of the top. The hole is about 6-8", large enough to stick their muzzles down in it to retrieve hay, small enough that their entire head does not fit in it. The top an dbottom are a tight fit, you may need to put a slit or two down the sides of the top so it gives a little to slide on easier, it works great.

If you can't picture it in your head, I can get pictures. This is a great "individual" hay feeder and it is portable. It is still at ground position, just not on the ground. Be careful feeding on the ground itself, esp. if it is loose dirt or sandy soil. Sand colic, not fun.....

Last edited by a moderator:
Me, me!
default_laugh.png

Have had 3 get hay in the eye in the 8 weeks since we got a few round bales, but I've had the problem too from feeding hay up off the ground in hay racks. EVERY time I feed hay from an elevated position! Horses are constructed to eat from ground level so no matter what we owners prefer, what's closest to nature is best for them.

I would notice a watery eye which was obviously sore. Every time, after close inspection there was a long piece of hay stuck up under the eyelid. One little mare developed a corneal ulcer because I didn't look for a hay stem...just used eyewash and ointment for 24 hours without looking for something IN the eye. The treatment wasn't helping so I finally looked under the lids! La La is fine now thank goodness (my PtHA World Res Champion from last year). But she had to spend several weeks living like a mushroom! I think if I had gotten the hay out right when I first noticed her having a problem we could have avoided the ulceration.

So I guess I suggest putting the hay on the ground!

Charlotte

I have one too! He burrows right down to the bottom of the tub. His forelock lays on top of the lay. He is the one who has had hay in his eye 4 times. I was able to flush it out myself after the first time--when I didn't know what was going on. I just used the water hose. I tried a syringe at first, but the water hose worked better for me.

I don't mess around anymore, thinking it will fix itself. I start flushing the eye at the first sign of swelling. He's used to it now, the big silly.

I have had minis burrow their heads in the hay and flip it on the ground out of the containers i put it in. I got tired of raking up hay so my solution......I got a large plastic drum, cut off the top 1/4 and the bottom 1/4, and cut a hole in the top, I us it as a top and bottom, put the hay in the bottom, place the top over it, they pull the hay out through the hole in the center of the top. The hole is about 6-8", large enough to stick their muzzles down in it to retrieve hay, small enough that their entire head does not fit in it. The top an dbottom are a tight fit, you may need to put a slit or two down the sides of the top so it gives a little to slide on easier, it works great.

If you can't picture it in your head, I can get pictures. This is a great "individual" hay feeder and it is portable. It is still at ground position, just not on the ground. Be careful feeding on the ground itself, esp. if it is loose dirt or sandy soil. Sand colic, not fun.....
Carolyn that is absolutely BRILLIANT!! I have one half barrel I've been using and the hay always gets flipped out onto the ground while they look for the fines that settle on the bottom. Once out it gets soiled and becomes bedding. I hate to see all that nice green (and expensive) hay wasted as bedding. I am going to find the other end of this barrel and try your idea.

Carolyn, that really is brilliant! This is why I love this website, so many wonderful ideas and so much information. In fact I have an entire *library* of organized information folders from this website. Thanks!

carolyn I also think your idea is brilliant but would love to see a pic of it when you have time. Thanks

Feeding hay on the ground would probably make a big difference for your burrower. Our problem this year has been wind - lots and lots of it. I've had hay in my eyes this year, and lots of horses with gunky eyes. Had to treat one little mare for a month, from hay in the eye.

Jan

Here are some photos. The ideal thing is to get 2 barrels that are slightly different in size, then you have two tops and two bottoms and they fit together easily. I have one pictured like that, the white one is a top and bottom from the same barrel, works well, just a snug fit.

DSC00070.jpg

DSC00065.jpg

DSC00068-1.jpg

Latest posts

Back