Extension

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mydaddysjag

Reaction score
What types of exercises and training techniques help build extension? My driving horse had about a year and a half off of driving, and now we are having issues with him not wanting to extend at the trot. He previously had great extension, and actually has won his roadster class at nationals. Is it simply something that will come with more work so that his muscles build themselves up, or is there something special we should be doing?

Two thoughts here- first of all, a year and a half off driving is a lot of time. He's lost not only his surface conditioning but all the deep, tough muscles he may have built up previously and is essentially starting over from scratch. His body remembers what to do but probably isn't physically capable of it right now. Secondly, he's gotten older during that time. Older horses become stiffer and their movement more limited if not kept supple through constant exercises. Give him time and return to basics, building him up step by step just as you would a green horse and I bet with some work you'll see his movement returning. Does he still move out well in the pasture? If so, then he just needs to build up those driving muscles again so he can produce that movement with the weight of the cart dragging behind him. If not, get him checked over by a vet and chiropractor (just to be safe) and then begin some daily stretching exercises and perhaps put him on a joint supplement and see what happens.

Have hope- an older horse with experience will return to condition much faster than a green horse does the first time through!

Leia

He does still move out well on his own,so I think he just needs to rebuild those muscles. Are there any specific exercises that will help target those muscles, or just general ground driving and time? He's had a long winter off and is just coming back into work, so he's currently being ground driven a couple times a week, lunged a couple times a week, and worked with doing hunter. I think we're going to start doing a little hill work to help build up his behind, and im wondering if working him over ground poles when lunging would help build the muscles he needs for proper extension.

Megan, your on the right track with trying to get "D" back in shape. It will just take a little bit of time and work to get him back moving properly.

He does still move out well on his own,so I think he just needs to rebuild those muscles. Are there any specific exercises that will help target those muscles, or just general ground driving and time? He's had a long winter off and is just coming back into work, so he's currently being ground driven a couple times a week, lunged a couple times a week, and worked with doing hunter. I think we're going to start doing a little hill work to help build up his behind, and im wondering if working him over ground poles when lunging would help build the muscles he needs for proper extension.
You bet! Both hill work and cavaletti work will help, but so will simply getting him in the cart as often as possible and letting him get used to it again. Ground-driving is a good way to accomplish specific goals such as work on bending, manners, etc., but the best way to build muscle for pulling a cart is to pull one.
default_yes.gif

Leia

I have a somewhat dumb question, but just wanted to make sure. When lunging over ground poles for building muscles for extension, how far apart should the poles be placed?

Latest posts

Back