expets needed here

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twelveoaks

Reaction score
default_no.gif
barbara of sunset acres has had 1 colt born last friday. he was doing good eating, playing,pooping and just being a colt 36 hours later he stopped eating (not interested in the mare at all) and he died about 8 hours later

next on monday she had a filly born same thing she was doing great and now she is not eating, unable to stand but at this time she is still alive

now both was madien mares

vet has no answer except it sometimes happens on first foals

any one have any idea

thanks for your imput

twelveoaks
default_no.gif

Wow Im kinda suprised at the vets answer

There are so many things that could cause that but I would be pulling blood etc to figure it out. Rhino foals can be like that and so can many other illnesses. I would have to think its something contagious. Joint ill can be very hard to detect in the beginning. I have also heard fescue poisioning can cause sick foals. Were the mares eating fescue??

Are they treating the filly? Thinking good thoughts for your friend

Last edited by a moderator:
Did she test the IGg levels on these foals?

Posting an animal and tissue samples (not just a field necropsy) is very helpful

in determining what caused the death

Dr. Linda Fung

Blackwater Farms, USA

I am so sorry
default_sad.png

We, too, had a healthy foal last year which died on day 4. Low IgG levels and contracted ecoli, of all things. You can bet we are going to be checking IgG levels this year!

I hope you find some answers. We had a necropsy done by Texas A & M so that we knew what happened.

All the best-

Peggy

[SIZE=12pt]Pat-[/SIZE]

I'm so sorry to hear about Barbara's colt - what a shame. And now the filly too??? You just sent out pictures. I sure hope she gets some answers - and soon. Maybe the filly can make it.

Barbie

I am so very sorry for her loss, and for sick little filly.

I sure hope the little girl can pull through!

I do not know much about the various possible causes...... but this just reminded me of a post from last year.

I do not even begin to think this is related... at all.

But I just thought it would be worhwhile to provide a link, never-the-less.

http://www.miniaturehorsetalk.com/index.ph...amp;hl=Oleander

Again my condolences,

-Becky

Edited to say..... I see the link highlights my search word. (That was not intended.) I think the more important message of the post, is possible toxic plants ( Not oleander)

Last edited by a moderator:
the vet did take some sample of the filly waiting(could take a week) to hear on results i think the form members are on the right track talked to another vet in another state and he had the same answers as the form members

when i get the results will let everyone know

thanks again for your imput

twelveoaks

vet has no answer except it sometimes happens on first foals

OK that is not an answer, that's a cop out, and I am very surprised a vet would say that.

And your friend may not have another week to get answers waiting on whatever tests the vet did.

I'd be getting the foal to another vet or hospital because she needs answers now.

This is a real shame and I send my condolences to your friend who must

be heart sick and wishes for a happy, healthy filly.

It is most important that the vet run an IgG on the filly. It is a very simple, inexpensive blood test that any vet should be able to run. And it only takes a few minutes to run it. If it is low, he should administer a "life-saving" antibody transfusion.

Rita

Im sorry the one foal lost I will say a a little prayer for the filly that she pulls through, and they find out whats wrong,

default_no.gif
my heart goes out to your friend and her mares.I pray her filly recovers.

keep us posted.

This breaks my heart. I sure hope you get some better answers and I'm praying that the filly will be ok. That is so the "attitude" of the vets around here.

Hugs

I am so sorry for your friends loss, I hope the little filly pulls through, I would be taking it in to another vet.

were the foals gums or whites of eyes yellow??? This is important. The foals starts out vigorous and nurses great. Then what happens is, there are antibodies in the mares colostrum that destroy the foals red blood cells. The foal starts to fail, becomes anemic, whites of eyes turn yellow, or gums turn yellow. The foal must not be allowed to nurse but fed another mares colostrum or milk repcement by bottle . You must milk off the colostrum until the regular milk comes in about 24hours. Then the foal can nurse again.

We should always remeber to take some colostrum and mix it with cord blood at birth. If it clumps... this bad stuff will happen. If it blends nicely, the foal can nurse.

Robin

I am so sorry for your friend's loss, and sending prayers that your little one will pull through.
Pat

So sorry to hear about your foal losses. We lost our very first one too. Bald face bucksin filly with dorsal strip, black mane and tail. She was l and half month early. I felt so sorry for our mare, but she is doing fine now. Seems like we always loose the attractive ones. Our next two little girls are going fine, just being the normal little Buckettes. They love to play.

Take care, give your mares a hug.

Lonna

Latest posts

Back