Experienced Cat Wranglers, Help Please

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FlatCreekFarm

Reaction score
I'll give some background first: We live in the country, no really close-by neighbors. I saw a different cat come around our yard about 10 days ago. I briefly searched for the cat, then thought it was probably one who was 'on the move' and then promptly forgot. Fast forward two days later, we find out a dear neighbor about 1 mile or so from us lost her beloved housecat, a silver persian. Her husband was taking the boat out for the day, and apparently unbeknownst to him the cat was hiding within the boat. Their garage is in the basement, therefore the boat was where the cat had access. Sorry, this could be long. Are you still with me?
default_wink.png

So, of course after I heard about this and realized this *might* be her cat I saw in the yard two days prior, I called immediately. The two of them, and the two of us, have spent countless hours searching, calling, praying for Callie's return for the past several days and nights. I did find a hair sample tonight from where our resident 'shop cat' and another cat had fought recently. I took it to our neighbor, and she positively said that was Callie's hair without a doubt. So now, we KNOW that Callie is around here somewhere. Our son last saw a cat meeting her description on Sunday night. We've had live traps at various locations around the yard. I'm also putting 'shop cat' back in the big pet taxi for a few days. I have researched how rescue people catch feral cats, thinking they might offer a few different tips for catching cats. Newspaper on the bottom of the traps, blanket over top, etc. I've tried all of that, and of course all I've caught are possums and raccoons.
default_unsure.png

If anyone can offer ANY suggestions on how we might catch this precious cat, I would certainly appreciate it. No matter how ridiculous it may sound, I'll most likely try it!
default_rolleyes.gif
Also, Callie is declawed on the front, which makes us worry even MORE about her. Thanks to anyone who can help in this seemingly impossible situation
default_no.gif
Oh, and her owner is not in the best health, so we're also worried about her!
default_wub.png

Definitely put food out--not just on your porch or step, but out by the shop, near the barn--several spots; that gives the cat more chances to come across the food. Some cats will get used to coming to the food & soon realize that you are the one supplying the food & will become friendly toward you; others are not so sociable and do not become friendly, or at least not for a very long time. For one of those it might work if you can move the food closer and closer to a building--shed, shop, barn?--and get the cat going inside the building to eat, then you can shut the door & have the cat in a confined area--this works especially well if the owner can then come & retrieve the cat. You might not be able to catch the cat once it's shut in, but she probably could.

We've caught and tamed many feral and lost cats. One belonged to a neighbor that moved to a new place a half mile away. Her cat got out and came back "home" where of course he wasn't welcome any more. He was msising for weeks, then finally found his way here, and in time learned to come in the cat door & eat food with our cats. On cold nights he'd even sleep on the dresser in my bedroom, but as soon as he saw me move he was GONE--down the hall & out the cat door. There wasn't a hope of catching him, and if his owner came over he was nowhere to be found. He went missing in April and was gone a full year, then all through the next summer & fall. One of our cats started chasing him away from the house, and one November evening he was in the garden crying--he was hungry, or cold, or both--he let me walk right up to him & pick him up! I stuck him in a cage & called his owner & she came over to get him. She kept him inside for months, and now he does go outside but doesn't leave the yard at his new house.

Hopefully Callie's story will have an equally happy ending.

I use to work at an Animal shelter, and have cought many wild cats...Food ...thats what it takes. It suprises me that if it indeed this is her cat why it wouldnt just go home , unless it has never been outside and does not know "home " is not too far. So YES lots of good food, and it will continue comming around , also feed at the same time every day , so its on a routine . If she has some towels or old clothes with her scent on it it might help lead the cat home. At least have it near the food , so the cat smells "home". This really should work. I just used dog kennels with a can of tuna in it and lots of blankets , in the morning I always found 1 or 2 in there and I could quietly shut the door.If she is a housecat, she will like the upgrade of blankets instead of a cold wire cage , and if its her sweet cat running about you shouldnt have a problem catching it .hope it all ends well, I have no doubt it will
default_wink.png

I agree- a live trap and food, whether it's canned food or dry... I think they can smell the canned food from a longer distance and it is more enticing to them. It doesnt take much- just a spoonful.

I hope you can catch their poor lost kitty and that she has not moved on because she is scared and searching for her home, etc... Also make sure kitty has access to water as well.

Maybe if just the owner came and called the cat and looked- the cat will recognize her voice if she walks around and talks quietly like she would at home. Even your tame cats, when scared like that, will hide from you.

Thanks, everyone for the responses so far. Minimor, I love the story about your neighbor's cat. Wow, never ever give up, huh?
default_wub.png

From what I can understand about Callie's personality, she is very very skittish. In fact, prior to this adventure she had just disappeared for three days in their house while company was there. So, yes, we're dealing with a real challenge here. Callie is definitely an unfriendly cat (except to her "mom" and yes, mom has been calling and sitting and waiting here as well...). We have also been putting food and water in spots around the shop, barn, house, etc. At this point it doesn't look like we'll be able to befriend her very easily, so I do still think the live trap is the best bet for now.

Tonight's plan of attack is putting our 'shop cat' "Pinhead" (awful name, I know
default_rolleyes.gif
).. into the big cage tonight, away from the shop, with everything he needs. Remove ALL accessible food for other cat tonight to hopefully lure her where we want her. Set one live trap, camoflauged with a blanket (from the owner), newspaper on floor of live trap, baited with canned food or smelly "something" like mackerel. This trap will go IN the shop which is where she has been spotted a few times (going for Pinhead's food). Also it's where I found her tuft of hair last night. I feel she has been crawling under the shop door also, like Pinhead does, so I'm leaving the door closed so she can sneak in as usual. We'll see. I'm trying to think like a cat here
default_wacko.png

Keep those suggestions coming. I'll try about anything, and tonight I'm using a combination of suggestions! Thanks again, and I'll keep ya posted.

WOW sure will be watching this and hoping for a wonderful homecoming for Callie!!!

I had a house kitty get out once when I lived in the busy city - animal control advised I put her used litter box outside and the smell might help draw her home. It didn't work out for me unfortunately but it's worth a try!

I'll update, even though there really isn't any news
default_no.gif
I'm also starting to wonder if the search parties by the owners aren't scaring her off even more, but who knows. On one hand, you have to think that maybe hearing the sound of her owner's voice would help bring Callie out, but then again, this kitty is extremely cautious even in the comfort of her own home. We did place her litter box in the shop as well. It's been out for over a week, and still hasn't been used. I propped the door open a little to make sure she can get in the shop. I've cut off all other food sources to give us better chances of her going into the trap. I did leave water out & accessible in case she is around. The past two Sunday nights have been "sighting" nights, so we'll keep watching, hoping, praying that maybe there will be a safe capture tonight
default_pray.gif
Thanks again for the suggestions... I'll still try anything new if anyone has any ideas!

Well, there's a big monkey wrench in my plan now. The cat's owner called awhile ago, wants me to pull the live trap and just set lots of food out (let me tell you, we've attracted the whole neighborhood of raccoons since this whole episode started). :arg! She doesn't want to think about her kitty going hungry. Personally, I'd rather try and catch her cat and return her safely home, rather than fatten her up for possible coyote bait. Anyway.... I tried to reason with her. I'm leaving the trap out tonight with fresh bait, then tomorrow we'll pull the trap.
default_no.gif

I would have to say that I believe the owner's plan is the best way to go. Before you can have a and hope of getting the cat into a live trap you have to get her coming around the place on a regular basis--and not just coming around near the yard, but coming right around the shop where you want to set up the trap. I'd put the food around in the general area until I know that she's coming around, then I'd move the food closer and closer to the shop, then just inside the door, then a little further in, and then into the live trap if needed.

I would have to say that I believe the owner's plan is the best way to go. Before you can have a and hope of getting the cat into a live trap you have to get her coming around the place on a regular basis--and not just coming around near the yard, but coming right around the shop where you want to set up the trap. I'd put the food around in the general area until I know that she's coming around, then I'd move the food closer and closer to the shop, then just inside the door, then a little further in, and then into the live trap if needed.
This is basically what we'll be doing now. She has been in the shop, and that is where she was coming to eat. But also, our shop cat was fighting her off. So she's been scared off, and we'll almost be starting over... so we have to entice her back in somehow. I still feel (hope) she's in the area, but we haven't seen anything of her in over a week. Thanks for your input. I was feeling a little discouraged about it all, but if our happy ending is meant to be, I think it will happen when we least expect it anyway.

She may have fled for parts unknown by now, or may already be 'coyote candy'. Have you seen her at all, or any signs of her since that first time? Usually you will at least catch a glimpse if they are still around...... Sure hope she is ok, but it's a tough world to live in out there.

There was a possible Callie sighting last night at another neighbor's house. This would put Callie halfway home. If this truly was her, at least she's moving in the right direction!
default_pray.gif

Back