exersize

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lucky lodge

Reaction score
default_saludando.gif

what does everyone do to tone up and keep the minis in top conditioon

like what you do how long you do it and how often

THANKS

Deepending our schedule and so as not for them or us to be bored by the same old routine we will drive, pony, take long walks and sometime lung and other times just turn them out in the large pen and let them go.
default_biggrin.png

I work Maggie four or five days a week. It is usually about 20-30mins and I mix it up between ponying and round pen work. ( I originally started her with 15mins and we are building it up in time spent) She free lunges in a square arena and to break that up I sometimes -about three times a month or once a week - I trot her over cavellti (?) poles. Every once in a while I take her out for a long walk with me. She is still too young to do any extensive work in the round pen or to drive. She'll be three in April. I do work her in a round pen - sometimes on long lines and sometimes just free lunging. Right now we are beginning to learn to ground drive. She will be driven for exercise after she is trained. I think it is good for them - keeps them from developing stall vices from boredom, and improves the circulation in the hooves and lower legs as well as building strong bones if not over done.

We use a round pen as our main source of exercise. We start out in the spring on a treadmill because the weather here does not cooperate soon enough to get them ready for our first show in May. Then once we get into the round pen we start at 10 minutes and work up to 20 minutes a day 3-5 times a week. We also use a golf cart and pony them on that once in a while to switch things up. Also if it is raining or too muddy we will put them back on the treadmill. Our treadmill incline is not adjustable so we can't overdue it. It really builds up the shoulders and chest so it helps with a horse that is a little narrow in the chest. But it can build them up too much in those areas if your not careful. We do this for all of our horses yearling on up. I know some people say you shouldn't do it on the young horses because it is too hard on their legs. Our round pen is quite big because it was designed for our quarter horses and we can exercise 4 at a time in there with no problem. We have never had leg problems on any of our horses. You just have to know their limits. Some people say for the young ones just letting them run in the pasture is enough. Well I can honestly say that in this region if you do that, you might as well keep the horse home because it will not be able to compete and get in the ribbons.

We also drive the horses that are broke to drive.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, I take mine 4 walks, I put up poles or jumps and run with them. My favorite thing is chasing them with a four wheeler.

They are not afraid of it they buck at it and think it is a game. I pony them through trails with the 4 wheeler or riding one of my big guys. I lounge them in a round pen for about 10 mins ever other day and slowly increase the amount of time I work with them.

Would someone explain what "pony them" means? Thanks!

When you "pony" a horse, you are leading it while riding another horse.

Andrea

Latest posts

Back