Excessive drooling

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minih

Reaction score
I have a friend who does not play on the comuter (gasp, lol) but she asked me if I would find out if any one else has had their mini's excessively drool? I told her I had heard clover will make them drool extra, not sure what else.....and that I would ask on lb. They do not drool all the time but when they do it is dripping from their mouth when they are just standing. ???? Any suggestions?

I would get the teeth checked if you haven't already. A bad tooth would be first thought. When horses "choke" they drool a lot....but they're usually in some type of distress, which doesn't sound like what you're describing.

Clover slobbers is fairly common here, see it in the spring usually, not much to do for it if that is what you are seeing other then to assure they have plenty of water on hand!

I agree though also with having the horse's teeth checked to make sure there is no problems in there.

I had a senior mare who drooled. Her teeth were cared for regularly but she did have dentition issues, a bite that lft 'pockets' next to hercheeks where food could collect, and that was the cause for her. Usually if she started drooling too much we would scoop the grass/hay from her cheeks and rinse her mouth and the problem would clear up for a time. The older she got the more it was an issue. If your freinds horse hasn't had a dental check up lately I'd sure be looking into having one done.

My experiences are: clover, dental problems (the kind that need a vet or dentist to clear up) and post-choke. Although with the post-choke episode, some came out the nose too.

In addition to the problems mentioned above, excessive drooling can also be a sign of ulcers. I had a filly that was drooling buckets. She had a thorough oral exam by a vet that did not reveal any problems in her mouth. Her only other sign was the drool had an "off" odor. She never displayed the "classic" ulcer symptoms, so it was not the first thing on my mind. She cleared right up after beginning ulcer treatment with Ulcer Guard (not the preventative dose).

The first thing coming to my mind was ulcers. I believe there are no classical signs for ulcers so I would give it a try.

Since there are multiple horses involved, I would assume some sort of environmental factor is involved, such as ingesting the clover, and not a medical issue.

That is what I had thought was clover but she didn't seem to think she had that much in her pasture. As long as they are fine I don't believe it will be a problem for her. Thanks for reinforcing what I was thinking.

I had this happen also and it was my hay had fox tail that I didn't notice and everyone had ulcerated sores in there mouth which was Mandingo them drool I took them off the hay immediately and it took a month of treatment to get them back healthy.

Back