Everyone Loves a Parade!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RhineStone

Reaction score
There is a nice article in the Nov. issue of Driving Digest about horses in parades and what to consider before exhibiting in one. It reminded me of when we have done parades with our mini horse club. We have taken horses both in hand and driven, but always had someone on the ground. Most of the time if was "uneventful". However, there was one time that the local Boy Scout troop had the "duty" of cleaning up after the horses, and the boys took their job a little too seriously, practically trying to catch it as it came out of the horses! To add fuel to the fire, they were on rollerblades! My mom, who was walking a very quiet mare in hand finally had to put her foot down and tell them that they could not go in front of her, because they were stressing out especially the driving horses that couldn't see them, but heard them as they were coming up behind them very fast with scoop shovels, jockeying for position as first to reach the piles!

Then there was another time that a pair of Percherons bolted in a parade. The driver was able to turn the pair in an intersection, but doubled back on the rest of the parade behind him. My mom was again leading a mini, but grabbed our driving mini by the reins/bridle, and pulled it up on the curb with the rest of the crowd. The Arabian riders behind us were not as lucky, as they didn't "fit" on the curb like the minis did, and a few of the ladies in their Native Costumes ended up on parking meters! The pair was finally stopped by a parked Cadillac and a van. I think that was an expensive parade for them.

I have one coming up on the 6th, and another on the 12th. I was hoping to have a set of bells, but the company was too busy to work on my order at this time. I will have to use the make-do ones I already have. Time to get out the antlers, santa hats, and red tulle. I also like to drag a juniper behind the cart.

What sort of things did the driving magazine mention? I know there are cities now that require insurance--that eliminates most equstrian entries!

I would be interested in hearing what the driving digest had to say too! We do several parades every year with the Minis, both driven and in hand. My favorite one is the all animal, no motorized vehicles Holstein Parade - it is quite a spectacle and draws a huge crowd of spectators - don't worry, there will be pictures
default_biggrin.png
We also do our home town parades (the 2 closest towns
default_smile.png
) Cayuga and Caledonia. I have been invited to the Burford parade this year as well by a member of my driving club who is coordinating the parade. We usually have a few of the neighbourhood kids, as well as my own daughter, that join us and everyone has fun!

Sorry, I haven't been "on-line" for a while, I hosted Thanksgiving.

Basically, it says be prepared. Your horse should be accustomed to balloons, guns, bands, etc. If possible, ask the organizer for horses to be at the beginning or the end of the line up. Practice stopping and standing, and walking slowly. Make sure your homeowners insurance policy will cover you. Practice at home with any decorations you will use. Have outwalkers that understand you and your horse. Be ready to remove the carriage if necessary. Maintain lots of space in front of and behind your turnout.

Latest posts

Back