Ever sold a horse to a "friend"...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LindaL. I wonder if she has maybe already bred this boy to any of her mares.

I had a situation years ago, when selling a dog to a 'friend'. This was a long time friend who showed her dogs and was well known in the breed community. I had a really superb top show dog. Probably the best pup I ever produced. She was trained, show-ring ready and I knew she could finish her championship quickly.

The friend wanted her and I did have her priced high but fairly, for the time. She agreed to the price, but didn't want her husband to know how much she would be paying, so asked me when she called, to say the dog would be only $350. Her husband would be on their 'phone extension and she knew he'd be ok with that price. She and I agreed on the payments and she actually drove from Arizona in their motor home, to pick up the dog. They stayed with me a week and she paid $100 down. Since I kinew her well, I allowed her to take the dog and the papers.

After a couple of months and with no more payments or word from her, I telephoned asking for a further payment. She sent $250 and said that now the dog was 'paid in full'. When I explained that this was not our agreement and that I had said that on the phone when her husband was listening, because she didn't want her husband to know just how much she was really paying for the dog, she said, "Well that was what you said and remember, my husband was listening - so I have a witness!' This really shook me up at the time. I was horrified that someone would do such a thing.

Since then, we have sold several dogs and horses on payment plans. However, the animals always stay with us until payments have been made in full. Never had one problem with the buyers not paying. It really is sad that some take such advantage.

Lizzie

I had a situation years ago, when selling a dog to a 'friend'. This was a long time friend who showed her dogs and was well known in the breed community. I had a really superb top show dog. Probably the best pup I ever produced. She was trained, show-ring ready and I knew she could finish her championship quickly.

The friend wanted her and I did have her priced high but fairly, for the time. She agreed to the price, but didn't want her husband to know how much she would be paying, so asked me when she called, to say the dog would be only $350. Her husband would be on their 'phone extension and she knew he'd be ok with that price. She and I agreed on the payments and she actually drove from Arizona in their motor home, to pick up the dog. They stayed with me a week and she paid $100 down. Since I kinew her well, I allowed her to take the dog and the papers.

After a couple of months and with no more payments or word from her, I telephoned asking for a further payment. She sent $250 and said that now the dog was 'paid in full'. When I explained that this was not our agreement and that I had said that on the phone when her husband was listening, because she didn't want her husband to know just how much she was really paying for the dog, she said, "Well that was what you said and remember, my husband was listening - so I have a witness!' This really shook me up at the time. I was horrified that someone would do such a thing.

Lizzie
To this, I can only say, you knew she was a liar to begin with.

Last edited by a moderator:

Since then, we have sold several dogs and horses on payment plans. However, the animals always stay with us until payments have been made in full. Never had one problem with the buyers not paying. It really is sad that some take such advantage.

Lizzie

OUCH!! Not only did that hurt the pocketbook, but it hurts when a person you trusted as a 'friend' bites you like that. A real kick in the gut.

I have sold a mini to a friend and it bit me in the butt- She was due in 2 months and he just had to have her to give as a birthday present to his daughter- the deal was- He paid me $800 for the mare and I get the foal back at weaning, as he said he only wanted the mare- Welllll.... 2 months later- he calls and tells me she had a gorgeous palomino paint filly with blue eyes, and sent pictures. Of course I was tickled to death- a few days later- he called and told me the filly died.... Of course I didnt believe him so I went out to his place- mare and filly gone- Turns out he moved them to a friends house until the filly was weaned and he sold her to a friend of his. I confronted him about it and "it was a different horse". I eventually dropped it, as I knew I could not win... Now he wants another one of my mares "cheap" and she is due in 2 months. I think Ill keep her until she foals !!!
default_yes.gif

Heard from her...she said I should just come get him. So, I will have to borrow a trailer at some point and do that. Then I need to find a place to board him until he is gelded. *sigh*

But, on the plus side...once he is gelded, Deb will have an Under gelding to show. He won't be for sale again.

Just a bummer I have to deal with all the crap first...and find out how people really are along the way.
If the weather is decent for it, and funds available, why not make the appointment and swing by the vet's office on the way home with him and get him snipped and be done with it.

And, glad to hear you are getting this issue resolved, I hope he's in good shape and still has his manners (heard a few horror stories on here).

Linda-

It's my understanding that she has said she can pay you next week when she gets paid by her second job, but also said come pick him up if you need to and you'll have the $$$ she has already paid you. This is just heresy, so if I'm wrong, sorry. She is a hard worker and is struggling like a lot of us.

At least when you had to deliver him, it wasn't more than a few miles.

I'm sure he is in very good health - one thing for sure is she takes care of her horses.

Hope you get things settled - whether you get your $$$ or have to go get him.

Barbie

Sorry this happened to you. Makes it harder for all the good people who pay their bills and care for their animals. I have experienced someone who didnt pay but also someone who was great enough to let me make payments and everything work out well.

I would make copies of ALL correspondence with her and take it with you. Maybe even let the police in her town know you are taking the horse back due to the circumstances. If she is that morally bankrupt you never know what she may have up her sleeve. If I were closer I would go get him for you.

Good Luck!

Make sure you get her to sign something stating she is giving him back that you are his legal owner and she has no say in him any longer. Cover your butt! I've been dealing with attrys in a court case on a horse i did a perm lease on and the lady broke contract. Dont leave yourself open for any trouble.

IMO these days you have to protect yourself as the seller. I think once a contract is made between a friend does not matter how close you are that contract means business and take friendship out of it. If this was my case if I couldn't reach her thru calls or emails then defintelly send a certified letter saying if payment isn't received by this date then you will pick up the horse. You have to set a specific date with no date extensions or the buyer won't take you seriously.

Linda-

It's my understanding that she has said she can pay you next week when she gets paid by her second job, but also said come pick him up if you need to and you'll have the $ she has already paid you. This is just heresy, so if I'm wrong, sorry. She is a hard worker and is struggling like a lot of us.

At least when you had to deliver him, it wasn't more than a few miles.

I'm sure he is in very good health - one thing for sure is she takes care of her horses.

Hope you get things settled - whether you get your $ or have to go get him.

Barbie
I wasn't going to way in on this, but I just wanted to clarify something. Although we do want the money for the horse or the horse back. The main thing that disturbed us was the fact that this person never came to us with her issues. That we were always forced to ask her about payment. And then she wouldn't follow thru on what she said or let us know when she couldn't do as promised. Our biggest issue was the lack of communication from her, someone we consider friend. We would have been and are understanding of financial issues. Lord knows we've had our share recently. And am eternally grateful to the ones who have worked with us. But that being said, we've always done our best to communicate with anyone we were making payments to for a horse.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back