Ever owned a Consignment Tack Business??

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luv2ridesaddleseat

Reaction score
Our home is zoned commercial. I currently have a grooming business here, that I have scaled way down because of all the aches and pains that comes with grooming for 25 years! I have "no" overhead as my hubby pays all the bills.
default_smile.png
I have a ton of tack to sell as well as lots of my friends to start. I plan to put alot of it online to sell as well as from my shop. I've already sold a bunch of my own stuff online. Has anybody here done this before? Is there anything "special", good or bad I should know before I get started?? Thanks so much for any help and ideas you can give me!

I've not done it myself but there is a consignment tack shop here in lower Delaware that has been in business for over 20 years.She does really well and I have taken lots of my stuff to her to sell.shop name is Rainbows End tack shop in Seaford, DE I think she has a web site.Good luck with your venture.She does take credit cards which I think is a great idea.

Talk to Marty on here....She owned a used tack shop for awhile and as I recall had a blast doing it.

Oh yes and I LOVED it. Also had no overhead because we had a huge building in the center of town that was our family business. It had a spare room with a separate entrance that needed something done with it.

I started by business with a $20.00 dollar bill for lumber and paint for a sign and "Horse $ense" was born. I built saddle racks and bridle racks from scrap lumber we had and I never stopped building them because I ended up with about 50 saddles at once.

I advertised on craigslist mostly and the people flocked from all over the place bringing me everything they had from buckets to saddles and bridles, lead ropes and trailers and even Heidi on here brought me her big pony cart that I sold for her in one day. I also had plenty of space outside in a chain link fenced area where I sold trailers.

I asked the people how much they had to have for their item and then I marked it up so I could get a profit. . Then I tagged the item with their name on it so I could be sure of who owned it. On certain items I would look online to see the new price so I would have a clue. They would sign a contract with me and also list their items on the contract in their own handwriting and sign it. When their item sold, I give them a call and they come pick up their money in green cash. No checks. Also any clothing, show clothing had to be cleaned and only gently worn as I didn't want anything nasty. Any tack that wasn't cleaned I cleaned and added $5.00 to do it.

Sometimes people would bring me a saddle or something that was way too nasty or far gone and I had to learn how to say no. Other people would be unreasonable about how much they thought their stuff was worth and I had to tell them it wouldn't sell for that price and if they wouldn't come down to a good price I would also tell them no. But mostly everyone was thrilled that I was there and so easy to work with. I always had the coffee pot on with cookies in winter and ice tea in summer but It became a hang out for some of the locals who would park it and yak forever and not leave so I finally took the extra chairs out.

The key is to take pictures, good pictures of what you have and post them daily to craigslist or wherever you are going to advertise and keep updating. Also when people ask for something you don't have, make a note of it and when it comes in, give them a call. I also did videos on youtube and posted them as well. You really do have to work it hard and not just sit there and expect people to show up.You also have to be very well versed in all phases of tack especially because people will know in a minute flat if you don't know what you are talking about. I also let people bring their horses into the side lot to try on saddles for fit. I did very well and I'm told my store is missed. I would still be there but my husband retired and closed down so I lost my free space. I have wanted to do it from home but I am way too rural.

How awesome!!!!! Thank you so much! I know it will be alot of online stuff and alot of work. I've got to figure out the book keeping part of it. I'd rather have a "physical book", rather than something on the computer. Also looking to figure out what I should put in the contract for people. I totally agree with everything being clean. I'm really excited to get started!! I'll take any helpful info anytime!!!

Thank you so much!!!!!!!

Joyce

As far as bookkeeping goes you can buy carbon receipt books at staples that way you and the customers get a receipt. I used to manage a feed store that did the books without a computer. Every day when closing up the register I would add up all of the receipts and total the day in a log book. Check your local laws in terms of the necessary business license and sales tax permits as in most states you have to charge sales tax and remit quarterly to the state. If you have a physical location you should look into liability insurance incase someone gets hurt in your store. I would include things in your contract such as you have the right to refuse an item, if it does not sell in x amount of time it is the owner's responsibility to pick it up ( that way you don't become a free storage unit). Also that you are not responsible for lost, damaged or stolen goods (thats what insurance is for) you have to protect yourself if your shop is broken into or burns down. I would include a zero tolerance policy for accepting stolen goods too as you never know with some people. I bet with some online nnetworking you could start a horsey themed amazon type website where you create an online marketplace for tack sellers that way you're not just limited to what you can sell to whomever walks in your door.

Amy I didn't want or have time to deal with shipping so everything I did was local. I didn't even have a computer in the store so all my contracts were super simple and printed out at home.

Name, address, phone #'s

Then the items listed in column#1 and in column#2 description and in column #3 asking price #4. price sold for with date of sale

etc. with a good description and let them fill it out themselves in their handwriting, not yours'.

Easy peasy. That was it. Tags from Dollar Tree. Completely rink dink and nothing fancy. Remember, II only had a $20.00 bill for starters so try not to dump money into this business. I admit I later made a run to Goodwill for some gingham curtains and a fake ficus tree and silk flower arrangements and a big basket for the bits, all for under $10.00. I already had the desk and stole our rocking chairs off our front porch. Start with Craigslist and also bring stuff to a local show with flyers and sell off your tailgate but don't go too far because gas cost money..

You guys rock!!!!! Just got a western saddle to add, brand name saddle pad, sheepskin seat saver, gorgeous cinch and a bridle! Seached info etc, to get a price and having a blast!!!!! Thank you so much!!!!!

Back