Equine Fresh-caused colic

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OldStageMinis

Reaction score
HI everyone-just passing the word for a friend who had bought 2 colts from us this past fall. Both colicked after she switched bedding to Equine Fresh-supposed to be harmless and totally safe for all horses and foals. Well, she lost one colt, the other seems to be doing better but not out of the woods. The post mortem from the vet said they had eaten the bedding and it expanded causing a blockage.

She has talked to the company, but so far noone is responding. Of course, the colt that didn't make it was the best quality, going to be shown this spring. They are heartbroken.

Pass the word, this isn't a bedding to use.

default_no.gif

Oh my......thanks for the warning.

Very sad for the folks who were doing what they thought was best.

You would just never think of something like that happening when using an equine product!

The company is going to get a lot of bad press if they don't do what's right, however they likely are aware they have lost the mini market, for sure..

I use a similar product and it is supposed to be sprinkled with water in the stall so that it expands into a fluffy bed before they use it. I generally just pour mine out in the stall too unless I notice one eating it a lot.

I'm sorry to hear that she lost her foal
default_no.gif
I hope the other one makes it. When we used a similar bedding, we wetted it down when we put it in the stalls to make it expand. We didn't leave it in pelleted form, but I don't think the packaging said to do it. There should definitely have been some sort of warning on the labeling, I'll bet there will be from now on!
default_no.gif

I'm not sure how it was used but I know it was supposed to be safe for foals.

Let's hope they do something for Jan and then let people out there know the dangers.

It is always heartbreaking to lose a horse but worse when you feel it was because of something you did--

the guilt is there I'm sure, even though it wasn't her fault at all.

Hi there all and also: Tell your friend who lost her colt that I am really sorry for her loss and that it's not her fault. I could'nt begin to imagine how I would feel if it was my little guy. I also want to add that I work at a tractor supply/feed store where I sell (not make) this bedding all day long. I dont want to upset anyone but to inform EVERYONE that it dose say on the packaging that you have to wet down the pellets for it to expand. This bedding is a very nice bedding and should'nt be used just because of this unfotunate loss. But It has also been known that pine shavings, straw and dirt/sand covered stall floors have done the same to both adult horse & foals. I NO mean am saying disregard what has happened to this poor little colt and his stall buddy, and I too would be warning everyone. But you also need to take in consideration, you must take per-cautions on all bedding and what could happen if eaten. And yes, I personally do not use this product because my stud has eaten shavings and straw which caused a blockage ( he thankfully passed) and I just know deep down he'll eat this also. So I do not take the chance of it happening. At work I let everyone know that this product has to be wet down and also ask on their commets on how they like it. From hear on out I will let everyone know who buys it to be cautious about foals and this bedding, but not to the point to disgorge the sale of this product and be fired from my job.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have said this before and I will say it again. if it is going to be used use it in complete expanded form, ESPECIALLY FOR YOUNG HORSES.

The same thing happened to me several years back with a filly that was still on her dams side. After 5 days she needed to be put down.

If your friend wants to talk to me, my number is on the contact page of my website, same product, same issues. They were suppose to change the label after the incident occured with me, something more to the effect of using it in complete expanded form, Gaurdian bedding does state to expand product, it states to add up to 2.5 gallons of water or more,their website even goes into details and tips, Equine fresh does not, it only states to mist/wet down the top layer of the pellets
default_no.gif

Sorry, I thing the directions need to be a bit more specific, esp. for first time users, good product, but only when you use it in its very expanded form.

I have the strange feeling that this is much more common than we realize, if the foals need to be put down, PLEASE TELL HER TO HAVE A NECROPSY DONE, it is not very expensive, it will be the only documentation she will have in her defense.

Sorry to all that use it, I do use the Gaurdian bedding, but very well expanded form only. The nature of the compressed bedding, the fact that it looks like feed, and the simple idea that foals are like babies of the human variety, they will put anything in their mouths, not to mention, mini equines have narrower intestines than their big horse counterparts can all cause issues. Like I said, the only thing I wanted to see is was the label stating to thoroughly wet down product, The company promised, but that never happened. It has been brought to their attention before, I am sure we are not the only ones that have encountered what can occur.

I believe, at the top portion of the equine fresh bag, on the back in the description, it even says something to the effect, don't be alarmed if your animal tries to eat it, it is 100% safe and they will soon find it unappetizing. That is how they changed the label for me,, rather than stating to use it in its fully expanded form.

I totally agree with better instructions should be on each bag. EXPECIALLY for new users. Also cautions should be added to the bags too.

I have used equine Fresh for several years and never had a problem with it. I can't speak for other brands of pelleted bedding, but I love Equine Fresh. It does have directions on the bag saying that you are supposed to mist/spray it with water until it expands. I often times skip that step over the winter when it is hard to get a hose to use that isn't frozen, but I do watch the horses to be sure they aren't eating it. If the stall gets stripped then rebedded the horses tend to munch because I feed pelleted feed so they are confused. But they tend to just munch a few pellets and realise its not food and spit it out. If you clean stalls on a regular basis and follow the instructions on the bag and add a little more each time they leave it alone. If I do notice a horse eating it in its pelleted form then I make sure their stall gets wetted down and expanded. With my foals, if I can't get it expanded for them due to the weather, I put a top layer of straw over it. I have never had any problems, and find this product much easier and economical to use. I must also add, problems like this one can happen with any bedding and even dirt and hay, we just need to keep a close eye on our horses.

Exact word for word

step 1 add 6 bags of equine fresh to 10x12 stall. Spread throughout area to make an even depth

step 2 LIGHTY MOISTEN THE PELLETS WITH A FINE MIST. THIS WILL ALLOW THE TOP LAYER TO ABSORB AND EXPAND PROVIDING A FLUFFY LAYER FOR THE COMFORT OF THE HORSE AND EFFECTIVE MOISTURE CONTROL THROUGHOUT THE BEDDING

step 3 remove the manure and saturated areas with manure fork

Add one to two bags per week to maintain dry and odor free environment.

Entire stall stripping will be extended considerably and may only be needed afteral several months.

That statement in step 2 is very vague and it was very vague to the workers in the store where I purchased it. The problem is that it doesn't state to thoughly wet product or to use approx. "X"amount of water per bag.

The other statement that is a completely misleading comfort incase they eat some is, again, right off of the bag

Safe if ingested-Your horse may try and taste the bedding product, but because it will dry out their mouth, they will not continue to eat it. It is completely safe, 100% pure southern yellow pine with no additives, chemicals, or perfumes.

It is a very false comfort. As I stated, good product when used in expanded form. This line above is as misleading as was their word to me that they were going to right their wrong.

Different wording is needed.

MindyLee, unfortunately they will not add a caution because in doing so it is opening up the can of worms that there is a possible inherit risk when using their product, Thus the reasoning for the statement of the product being 100% safe, released all doubts someone may have about the product.

In regards to Versatility farms problem of getting it to expand in cold weather, use HOT water. The directions on the Gaurdian web site are great, I would have never thought to split the bag open and pour the water right in, just use the hot water.

There is more of a risk with equine fresh than other bedding because it leads you to believe it is okay to leave the pellets below the surface intact.

I have had horses for 25+ years, I am not a newbie, nor uneduated in the matter, I feel the bag gives vague directions open for interpretation and a false sense of security about the possible risks.

My issue isn't with hot or cold water, it is getting water to it at all. If it is below freezing the water in the barn is often frozen, there for I don't have a hose to use to get water to the stalls to spray over the bedding to get it to expand. I don't have problems with the bedding though, but if there is a horse I'm worried about, I will carry a bucket of water to the stall and do my best to wet the bedding, not as good as a hose, as the water is concentrated in spots when using a bucket. I don't care what temperature the water is, just being able to have water to use.

I have not used that brand of pelleted bedding but I have used several others, starting with Woody Pet. The brand I am using now (from Canada and that's all I remember) has a horse on the bag but NO instructions about wetting it down. Our minis are all used to it now, but what I do is pour about half a bag in a "muck" bucket, add the water, and stir. In the coldest weather (near 0 F), I had to bring it inside or it would freeze rather than swell. Then I take the muck bucket into the stall or dump it from above. So when it goes into the stall, it looks like sawdust. Now, if I had water that reached the stalls, I might do things a bit different.... But this works.

[SIZE=12pt]What I do is take a garden can sprinkler with the white defuser screwed on, it is not as fine as a mist but works just as well. You can put hot water in it form the house and it should work just fine.[/SIZE]

I like woody pet but since Tractor Supply switched, I don't use it much any more, Equine fresh has less volume per bag than woody pet, in my opinion. Another words, it does not puff up as much as woody pet.

Try the garden can sprinkler they are cheap at walmart and they should have them in there garden center.

Jan

I have considered using this bedding, and looked into it extensively. I got really good advice on a different forum, and it would probably help those of you who are getting the water concentrated in one spot of the stall when you use a bucket.

Here are the steps I was given:

1: lay bag horizontal in the stall.

2: cut slit in top of bag

3: pour water in the slit in the bag, either using a hose or bucket

4: let sit until bedding expands

5: cut another slit in top of bag, so you have an X in the top of the bag

6: flip bag of bedding over, it will come out of the X

7: spread the bedding around the stall

I forget the amount of water they said to use, but if you get it right, your bedding will be expanded, but not mushy and super wet.

I honestly don't know if she wet this down or not. I have never used this type of product for bedding but appreciate all the advice and kind words. We all know how hard it is to lose a little one, and then the guilt of thinking it was preventable is even harder to swallow.

It may be a really good product, but I do know that the necropsy said it had expanded in the intestines after ingestion.

Just a cautious heads up to all.

That is so very sad. I guess she didn't know you are supposed to spray it with water first to expand it and then fluff it up! It says never leave in pellets.
default_unsure.png

We try to keep pine shavings for winter use but when we use the pelleted bedding - - we dump a bag in the big wheel barrel - push the wheelbarrel underneath the water spigot, turn on the water, stir and add water as needed, then dump in the stall... I have also used a sprinkler can............ I've noticed the horses that eat it are the ones not use to it or show horses who think they are hungry... Even the ones that are use to it seek out the few whole pieces and munch away.
default_wacko.png

I've been using a pelleted bedding for several years now, and aside from having them taste it I've not seen anyone stand and eat bedding. It obviously happens, especially with young horses, and is such a shame to lose one that way.

If I've stripped a stall and completely rebedded, I wet it down a little. Otherwise I use it dry and just mix it in with what's already there. I have found the perfect stall solution for me though is to base the stall with several bags of pellets and then add about half a bag or less of good shavings on top of it. Not only makes it less tempting to eat the pellets, but keeps them from being so slippery. The little hard pellets are a bit like walking on tiny ball bearings - I've had the bruises to prove it.

Jan

Oh my thats so sad
default_no.gif
ill definatley pass this on to some horse people. and this is the pelleted stuff right??? and to think I was planning on swithcing to this in the spring
default_new_shocked.gif
thanks for the warning

I use a pelleted form of bedding in my show horses stalls, ranging from yearlings up to 5 years old. I have done so for several years. I do not wet it down, but I only have the back part of the stall bedded down. I open a bag of pellets (Danos), spread it out in the back part of the stall and then put a small layer of wood shavings over it. The front part of the stall has no bedding at all, but the whole stall has thick rubber mats.

The horses learn to go in the back part of the stall (makes for easy cleaning). Plus if they spill any feed, it drops onto the mats and not the bedding. Plus the bedding is where they go, and no horse likes to eat where they go, so they do not eat any of the bedding.

I do not use pellets in my mare and foal stalls, just wood shavings and straw. (straw only in the colder months) The wood pellets are too tempting for a foal to chew on. I do not like hveing straw either, as they chew and swallow that too, but when it is colder, it keeps them a bit warmer, even with a heated barn.

Sorry for your friends loss.

Latest posts

Back