My colt's impaction colic

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
See, my vet refused to tube the colt.
default_sad.png
He said it did more harm than good. I don't believe that.

All they would do is insert the cath and I did the rest. I gave the IVs and all his care for the 3 days getting him through it, doing everything I could think of.

Yes, we spent a lot of time with her. We didn't tube her, our vet couldn't get any tube down, he was afraid to hurt her, so we had to syringe it down, by laying it on her tongue, being careful to let her swallow. He said the mineral oil would do more harm then good if we got even a tad bit in her lungs by feeding too fast. The vet's in our area don't know much if anything about minis, the horse vet didn't even want to see her, he said he'd be available to put her down because colic in foals is usually deadly if surgery is not involved. We actually had our cow vet help give the mineral oil, and he only did it because he knows we wouldn't blame him if things didn't end well.

I have now found the culprit to her impaction... she's eating the walls of our old barn... We quickly covered it for now, but Saturday is remodel day! I don't know what the stuff is, it's an odd sheeted packed material.. but anyway, at least we know now what caused it, and at least can be fixed! Our barn needed an update anyway!
default_smile.png

She's gross looking now as the enemas had her whole back end wet and dirty, but I've included a picture of her from the day after she was born. This was my only foal this year, and even though I grew up a farm kid, understanding the way of nature, I was going to be so hurt if her little life ended before she really even got a good start! So, thanks again!! She has nursed and pooped quite a few times since last night, so I think we are looking up!

View attachment 10830

She's so cute!

On my foals I use "Head & Heinie" shampoo LOL. Warm water, dab of shampoo, rinse and dry off her lil butt.
default_smile.png

This was my only foal this year, and even though I grew up a farm kid, understanding the way of nature, I was going to be so hurt if her little life ended before she really even got a good start! So, thanks again!! She has nursed and pooped quite a few times since last night, so I think we are looking up!
I'm so happy for you that your little adorable sweet baby made it through!

And Robin, thanks, for being brave and writing this. I didn't realize when I was reading it that it was from 2 years ago! But it is as pertinent today as then. My upbringing around horses when I was a kid was at a rental stable where things were done the cowboy way. Then, when I got my first horse at 20, I lived in cow country and my vet was an old school guy. We did just what you described... surgery was NOT an option. Thinking on your feet, being diligent and praying hard were the things we did then and continue to do today. Thankfully, I haven't seen an impaction colic in over 25 years. KNOCK WOOD!!!

Mine get soup twice a day as well, for whatever it's worth! In the winter, it's even warm!

No better feeling than knowing YOU are the one who made him pull through!
default_smile.png

ABout the nasty gross pus pockets - any chance the vet could've blown the vein? Banamine (generically called Prevail) is a horrible drug when given IM, or when it leaks out! It heals up pretty well though, lots and lots a scrubbin with sterile stuff ;) Sounds like the worst is behind you, and congrats again!

Latest posts

Back