My colt's impaction colic

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

REO

Reaction score
I want to start off by saying I know some people say that the things I do don't work. I'm sure there'll be those that want to flame what I did. But I hope no one does.

I could just say my colt had colic and we helped him, but then, people would be asking what we did. So I'm going to tell you what we did. If you don't agree with those things, I hope you'll be nice about it!
default_smile.png

Because they worked for US.
default_smile.png

Our colt who was 5 weeks old, was down when we went to feed Wed. He was up earlier that day. In fact, Tues evening I noted that he had soft poop.

What we do and what we've done for 20 years is, I get a container full of warm water. And a child sized Fleet enema. Yes I use them over & over again. Yes I know how to use them gently. We had gotten a big square bale of hay and unknown to us, it was full of those tiny round burrs. We got the hay Saturday and Monday Lady went down with colic. As I do with the adults, I gave her 10 enemas. Each doesn't hold much water. I do not walk horses, I let them rest and relax. I know my guts can't relax if I'm uptight! I want the water to stay in there as long as possible. Soon she was passing gas and a poop wet from all the water. She had gas colic. After she felt fine, I gave her some Banamine.

I have been doing the enemas like that for 20 years and except for 2-3 times, (once 15 years ago, once 10 years ago and this time on him) ALWAYS works for us in getting horses through colic ourselves. We do call the vet when we need to. And I suggest people always call their vets. I'm only telling what *I* do.

WED SO! When we saw the colt down, we brought him & his mom into the foaling pen to be under camera. We gave him a few little enemas and watched. Pure clean water came out each time we did that. I knew right away he was blocked up. I mean, 100% blocked! I gave him a little banamine orally. That helped him.

Thurs I called the vet in the AM before the office even opened. Vet said he'd be out soon. I know not to give them anything for pain, that the vet will, but he was rolling around in pain so I gave him a little Banamine orally at 8:30 AM and that didn't help. It killed me to watch the colt lay and roll for 5 hours until the vet got there. (He had clients all day) I asked if he'd tube him and he said that does more harm than good. He listened and the colt had no gut sounds and he said the colt was blocked. He said the intestines had not twisted yet. He gave the colt just an IV and pain shot. After some IV he listened and said he could hear a little gut sounds now. The vet left a girl with me and she couldn't hold him and he ripped out the IV. The vet had to come to my house 3 times that day (Thurs) I'd asked him if he'd be around if we needed him and he said he'd be around but there was nothing else he could do for the colt. That he'd refer us to a hospital up North.

~~Don't flame me but I know we're not the only ones that don't have $3000-$7000 laying around for colic surgery. And they pretty much won't let you in the door without a credit card, which we don't have~~

We knew then that it was up to us to get the colt through this and hoped the vet would still help us. You do the best with what you have in this life!

Fri The colt did better through the night. But I knew in the AM that he needed more. I gave him a little banamine. I called the vet office in the AM & asked if the vet would please come out as soon as he could. It took 4 hours before she called me back saying the vet said he didn't think another IV would help. That was what I wanted because when he said he heard gut sounds the day before, I got hopeful. I had given him banamine and probios. And a few times a day, tried the enemas. Only clear water came back out.

--------------------------

Know here, I don't drive. I am VERY GRATEFUL TO OUR VET! He knows that if I call and ask him to come, that it's serious and he DOES COME. If he didn't, we wouldn't have saved Suki 2 years ago and now this colt. My vet leaves all of his appointments waiting and comes and helps me. So I don't want to hear anything about my vet
default_smile.png
They are people and have lives too.

---------------------------

Still Friday~~~Karrel got home early and I told him to hitch up the truck and lets go! So we did and we got there and the vet was gone already but there was another vet there that put a new cath. in and sewed it in for us and gave us all the IVs and stuff we needed. It was Friday of the 4th of July weekend and his care was up to us!

The colt's belly was distended and he wasn't doing well at all. The 2nd vet had given him a shot into the IV. 2 hours after we got home the colt was grinding his teeth and we were losing him. I knew it was up to me and nothing could hurt at this point. I had Karrel go get some Citursel. I figured, it would put fluid in the front end and might work on the blockage from this end. It doesn't cause bloating or gas. I felt stupid for not thinking of it before. Still tried enemas and gave probios. He started rolling into the fence and I told Karrel to watch him for that, as I'd had to roll him out of it a few times. We gave him more IV that night.

Sat Why was he still alive? He had NOT gone potty in all those days. His belly was bigger still. He just wanted to lay around and roll. We did all the same things for him as we'd been doing. And I cut open 2 GasX gels into a sip of water and gave him that too. We knew that this was probably his last day. He was starting to suffer. Through all of this since it started, he only nursed after he'd had an IV or banamine. We'd wanted to give him all the chance we could, but wouldn't let him suffer.

Of couse, having him on the foal cam we were watching him around the clock. Sat around noon we were sitting in here and Karrel jumped up and flew out the door saying something I couldn't hear. I followed him out. Turned out the colt was rolled into the fence. Karrel went to get him out of it, but the colt saw him coming and scrambled out himself. As I got there, I saw Karrel talking to him and petting him to calm him.

Then!!!!! I heard Karrel talking, "Come on you can do it!" the colt's tail lifted, PUSHING and this THING came out! I was stunned! Karrel pumped his fist in the air and I started bawling my head off and thanking God! I'm crying again as I write this! My colt who we were going to lose that day just passed the blockage!!!

It was as big around as his intestine, about 3" long and hard as a rock! And you could see the burrs packed into it.

I'm not saying that enemas got that thing out. But all that water we put in there didn't come back out and did go somewhere. It is my thoughts that if nothing is moving in the intestines behind the blockage, that those might start to shrivel and get dry and then nothing could pass if it wanted to. I'm thinking the water kept his insides hydrated and did help him!

Here it is a week later and he's still with us! His belly went right down. The Citursel helped clean him out. But we're still watching him. He's not as perky as I'd like. He's not going potty as I want him to. But he's nursing well again. The thing I don't like is the lumps and white-yellow puss that is coming out of both sides of his neck where they put the IVs in. I'd never seen that before. What should we do about that?

Sorry to bore you all to death (too late! LOL)

But lots of people have asked me to tell the tale about our colt. Somehow a miracle got him though that 100% blockage.

Thank you to those that knew and sent prayers!

I know it sounded simple. But I was a MESS through it all and back & forth to the barn day & night and watching him & caring for him a lot. Thanks for listening!

YOU did it! You saved this colt! He's probably sore inside from all those burrs, and I'm praying he's going to make a 100% recovery.

I do the enema regime too. I think it works!

Thanks Dana!

The hay man did hear about it and he gave us a good deal on some better hay.

I did all I could to help him. I know some people won't agree about how it was done, but just in case it helps anyone else out in a tight spot someday, I wanted to share. That's all.
default_yes.gif

I know he's still sore inside but getting better I think. I had K help me take them back out with the other mares & foals on Monday and he was happy to see his buddy! We watched over him out there all day and put him back later. We'll let him back out again and again. But until I'm 100% happy he's recovered, I want him where I can watch him. Little guy fought hard and won!

Oh Robin. You must have been terrified. I am so glad it worked. A similar situation happened to us. And we worked and worked on him for days. And he did pass a mass of shavings and hair. It was what worked for us. When the vet says that is all you can do, the Mom thing kicks in.I am so glad he is doing better!!!

Reo, what you did worked, for you, in this colt's circumstance. Me: I would have pushed for a nasogastric tube (they do come in mini foal size) and some mineral oil. But that's me and I work at major teaching university. Congratulations!

I want to start off by saying I know some people say that the things I do don't work. I'm sure there'll be those that want to flame what I did. But I hope no one does.

I could just say my colt had colic and we helped him, but then, people would be asking what we did. So I'm going to tell you what we did. If you don't agree with those things, I hope you'll be nice about it!
default_smile.png

Because they worked for US.
default_smile.png

Our colt who was 5 weeks old, was down when we went to feed Wed. He was up earlier that day. In fact, Tues evening I noted that he had soft poop.

What we do and what we've done for 20 years is, I get a container full of warm water. And a child sized Fleet enema. Yes I use them over & over again. Yes I know how to use them gently. We had gotten a big square bale of hay and unknown to us, it was full of those tiny round burrs. We got the hay Saturday and Monday Lady went down with colic. As I do with the adults, I gave her 10 enemas. Each doesn't hold much water. I do not walk horses, I let them rest and relax. I know my guts can't relax if I'm uptight! I want the water to stay in there as long as possible. Soon she was passing gas and a poop wet from all the water. She had gas colic. After she felt fine, I gave her some Banamine.

I have been doing the enemas like that for 20 years and except for 2-3 times, (once 15 years ago, once 10 years ago and this time on him) ALWAYS works for us in getting horses through colic ourselves. We do call the vet when we need to. And I suggest people always call their vets. I'm only telling what *I* do.

WED SO! When we saw the colt down, we brought him & his mom into the foaling pen to be under camera. We gave him a few little enemas and watched. Pure clean water came out each time we did that. I knew right away he was blocked up. I mean, 100% blocked! I gave him a little banamine orally. That helped him.

Thurs I called the vet in the AM before the office even opened. Vet said he'd be out soon. I know not to give them anything for pain, that the vet will, but he was rolling around in pain so I gave him a little Banamine orally at 8:30 AM and that didn't help. It killed me to watch the colt lay and roll for 5 hours until the vet got there. (He had clients all day) I asked if he'd tube him and he said that does more harm than good. He listened and the colt had no gut sounds and he said the colt was blocked. He said the intestines had not twisted yet. He gave the colt just an IV and pain shot. After some IV he listened and said he could hear a little gut sounds now. The vet left a girl with me and she couldn't hold him and he ripped out the IV. The vet had to come to my house 3 times that day (Thurs) I'd asked him if he'd be around if we needed him and he said he'd be around but there was nothing else he could do for the colt. That he'd refer us to a hospital up North.

~~Don't flame me but I know we're not the only ones that don't have $3000-$7000 laying around for colic surgery. And they pretty much won't let you in the door without a credit card, which we don't have~~

We knew then that it was up to us to get the colt through this and hoped the vet would still help us. You do the best with what you have in this life!

Fri The colt did better through the night. But I knew in the AM that he needed more. I gave him a little banamine. I called the vet office in the AM & asked if the vet would please come out as soon as he could. It took 4 hours before she called me back saying the vet said he didn't think another IV would help. That was what I wanted because when he said he heard gut sounds the day before, I got hopeful. I had given him banamine and probios. And a few times a day, tried the enemas. Only clear water came back out.

--------------------------

Know here, I don't drive. I am VERY GRATEFUL TO OUR VET! He knows that if I call and ask him to come, that it's serious and he DOES COME. If he didn't, we wouldn't have saved Suki 2 years ago and now this colt. My vet leaves all of his appointments waiting and comes and helps me. So I don't want to hear anything about my vet
default_smile.png
They are people and have lives too.

---------------------------

Still Friday~~~Karrel got home early and I told him to hitch up the truck and lets go! So we did and we got there and the vet was gone already but there was another vet there that put a new cath. in and sewed it in for us and gave us all the IVs and stuff we needed. It was Friday of the 4th of July weekend and his care was up to us!

The colt's belly was distended and he wasn't doing well at all. The 2nd vet had given him a shot into the IV. 2 hours after we got home the colt was grinding his teeth and we were losing him. I knew it was up to me and nothing could hurt at this point. I had Karrel go get some Citursel. I figured, it would put fluid in the front end and might work on the blockage from this end. It doesn't cause bloating or gas. I felt stupid for not thinking of it before. Still tried enemas and gave probios. He started rolling into the fence and I told Karrel to watch him for that, as I'd had to roll him out of it a few times. We gave him more IV that night.

Sat Why was he still alive? He had NOT gone potty in all those days. His belly was bigger still. He just wanted to lay around and roll. We did all the same things for him as we'd been doing. And I cut open 2 GasX gels into a sip of water and gave him that too. We knew that this was probably his last day. He was starting to suffer. Through all of this since it started, he only nursed after he'd had an IV or banamine. We'd wanted to give him all the chance we could, but wouldn't let him suffer.

Of couse, having him on the foal cam we were watching him around the clock. Sat around noon we were sitting in here and Karrel jumped up and flew out the door saying something I couldn't hear. I followed him out. Turned out the colt was rolled into the fence. Karrel went to get him out of it, but the colt saw him coming and scrambled out himself. As I got there, I saw Karrel talking to him and petting him to calm him.

Then!!!!! I heard Karrel talking, "Come on you can do it!" the colt's tail lifted, PUSHING and this THING came out! I was stunned! Karrel pumped his fist in the air and I started bawling my head off and thanking God! I'm crying again as I write this! My colt who we were going to lose that day just passed the blockage!!!

It was as big around as his intestine, about 3" long and hard as a rock! And you could see the burrs packed into it.

I'm not saying that enemas got that thing out. But all that water we put in there didn't come back out and did go somewhere. It is my thoughts that if nothing is moving in the intestines behind the blockage, that those might start to shrivel and get dry and then nothing could pass if it wanted to. I'm thinking the water kept his insides hydrated and did help him!

Here it is a week later and he's still with us! His belly went right down. The Citursel helped clean him out. But we're still watching him. He's not as perky as I'd like. He's not going potty as I want him to. But he's nursing well again. The thing I don't like is the lumps and white-yellow puss that is coming out of both sides of his neck where they put the IVs in. I'd never seen that before. What should we do about that?

Sorry to bore you all to death (too late! LOL)

But lots of people have asked me to tell the tale about our colt. Somehow a miracle got him though that 100% blockage.

Thank you to those that knew and sent prayers!

I know it sounded simple. But I was a MESS through it all and back & forth to the barn day & night and watching him & caring for him a lot. Thanks for listening!

So happy for him and you

LILDRUMMER

What great news! I'm sure it was the combination of all that was done for him. I too would be concerned about his neck/abcess'. He will need antibiotics, perhaps naxcel for that? What does the Vet say about that? I'm sure his neck is very sore now from IV's and infection and that is why he is not 100% yet.

Keep up the good work, I will tell you all about a recovery from impaction I had one time and what I did, of course with lots of prayer as well. And yes colic sugery is VERY expensive, especially if you have a CC. They will prerun the card to see how much you can use
default_smile.png
Sad but sure does happen here and has happened to me.

I agree with you Carin.
default_smile.png

But what do you you do if the vet refuses and you can't tube them yourself? I DID ask several times for it. We did the best we could with what we had. I'm NOT telling people to do as we do, only what worked in this case.

I agree, if you can get your vet to tube your horse, DO!
default_yes.gif

What a relief that your colt pulled through!
default_yes.gif
Sounds like it was very scary. I'm lucky in that my vets will do whatever is in their capabilities to do if I want it done, or they readily refer me to someone else that can if they are unable to, but not all vets are like that. We do the best we can do. I've had to make the difficult decision to not resort to colic surgery before myself, but we were lucky then too and the horse recovered from the impaction. I've also pulled out all the stops and "expense be darned" but that doesn't guarantee the horse will live, and in this economy it's even tougher.

My long-winded way of saying that you did good, Robin! And Congrats on saving your boy!

Sounds like you did a great job! I don't know what I'd do if one of mine got so sick- I hear you on not having thousands to spend on surgery.

I am definately not a vet or even vet tech, but as a nurse, I have to wonder if you should not get him quickly on some antibiotics for the infection at his IV sites. It does not sound good and I would hate to have you lose him to sepsis after pulling him through the colic. Especially with the struggles to keep lines in him, they may have been contaminated with more then he has the energy to fight off naturally. And warm, moist pack held to his neck at least 3 or 4 times a day will help to draw it out if you are able to hold him for 5-10 minutes at least. Just my thoughts, and maybe you are already doing that. Good luck!

Barb

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know. Stomp your feet and demand they call around to see if someone has a smaller tube? LOL! You did good despite that and your colt is very lucky. We had an impaction colic a few years ago on a mare that had just came back from Pinto World. We hospitalized her and after 3 days of mineral oil and fluids she finally passed it without surgery. We were on the fence for those 3 days!

We had a weanling do the same thing but the problem was, I was in OK at Nationals. The vet had him at the clinic but I for one understand not having the cash for a colic surgery. I declined it twice and even told the vet to put the colt down if he was suffering, she held out one more day and that night everything let loose. He now is a gelding and has a loving home. You did the right thing in just keeping him hydrated from both ends until things worked themselves out. Sometimes God leads us in the direction he knows we should take. Glad that he is doing better and hopefully the places on his neck will heal quickly too.

Thank you for sharing your experience REO. Hope your colt continues to improve.

Whew!!!!!that sounds like a nightmare. Glad you got him through it. It's getting pretty bad when you are so happy you cry when you see a poop
default_laugh.png

Robin, that is just great!!! I am so glad you saved him.

I had a similar experience last year. Two fillies coliced the same day after coming in from pasture. One was Marbles. I worked with both through the day, but took them to the vet that night. The one pulled through, but Marbles ended up needing surgery. You are right, no one has that kind of money for surgery. It cost me $6000 to save Marbles, which has just about broken me. I am still paying on that bill. Can't afford shows this year.

Then I had another colic. I tried everything. I too give enemas. I also take a 60 cc syringe and fill it with lots of oil, water and some electrolytes. Then I make the foal drink it. Brought him up to the vet for IV fluids, but could not afford to leave him. I took him home and stayed up with him till 1:00. At that time, he was really bad, so I too figured I had nothing to lose. I gave him another 60 cc's of the mixture, but this time a lot more oil (mineral oil). I gave him another shot and went and took a short nap. Checked him again at 2:00, dreading looking into the stall. There he was perfectly fine, and nursing. I found a large hard dry ball of poop, covered in oil.

I fine that if you attack both ends, you have a better chance of pulling them through.

You did GOOD!!!

Robin, thanks for sharing your experience that worked for you. If someone wants to flame you for it, they need to get a life. Unfortunately, we sometimes have some on here that think they have the right to dictate what everyone else should do. I appreciate you sharing your experience.

I say bravo to you for doing the best you could for this guy based on your years of experience. I also want to thank you for being brave and sharing your experience here. It can be tough to put it all out there on a message board where anyone can take exception and point out faults (perceived or real). The thing is, just such experiences are what newbies like me need to hear about. We all have something to learn no matter our age or experience.

We've only been doing this "horse thing" for 15 months and have already experienced a colic caused by blockage (worms). Even with vet help, we were helpless to do much more than wait, pray, worry, pray and cry. Our backup vet used an anti-gas injection and some pain meds at the start, our primary vet came out 12 hours later and did a warm water/mineral oil treatment along with pain meds and sedatives. Like you, $3,000-7,000 was not an option for us. There is a line somewhere for most people no matter what kind of animal we bring into our lives.

I know we are very lucky to still have our Missy. Watching her suffer was simply one of the hardest things I've ever experienced...and I've been through quite a bit in my years. My poor husband was ready to send all the horses away because he was so tortured by the experience.

Colic is an evil that comes with these creatures we love. I am of the firm belief that as long as we do our best to do right by our fur babies, that's the only thing we can hold ourselves accountable for.

ETA: Missy was only 6 months old when this happened to her. The vet was terribly worried that he didn't have a tube small enough, but he gave it a shot. Thankfully, it did fit and he was able to put in the water/oil mixture. Never have I been as happy to see manure followed by "squirts" for several hours! 72 hours living in our basement on a 3 person rotation, 2-3 hours of fitful sleep whenever it was someone else's watch, more time than not, spending a big chunk of your "off" rotation time down in the basement with her anyway. She's the sweet faced lovely in my profile pic over there
wub.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
LOL Carin! Thanks!
default_smile.png
I've asked him many times about aquarium tubing but....nope.

Thank you Freeland. I wasn't sure I wanted to post this at all. A few years ago some on here said that if you don't have a huge bunch of money put aside for colic surgery etc, that you shouldn't have horses. But the thought of, if I posted this, *maybe* it might help someone, won out over my fear of being flamed.

My saying is, no one is perfect, especially me. I don't know everything and never claim to be an expert, but I like to share anything that might help others.

Thanks to everyone who shared their experiences too! I really appreciate that!
default_wub.png

He's starting to get his 'tude back!
default_aktion033.gif

That is absolutely awesome news. It is so mentally and emotionally draining when a little one has colic.

Kudos to you, sometimes, for one reason or another, surgery isn't an option, period.

We have spent our share of nights praying for poop, I am glad to see the big guy upstairs smiled favorably upon you and your efforts!

I was just thinking about this post and remembered my very first colic experience with minis. We had just 2, and I had bedded them down in fresh straw when they managed to get into a tub of corn. For 3 days, the vet would come out, give them a shot of banamine, they would start eating, and she said "OK they're fine!" NOT. Finally on the 4th day we made the choice to go to MSU. X-rays showed a 8" impaction on my stallion, and a slightly smaller one on the mare. We were not in a position - and still aren't - to drop $3,000 for surgery, so they said they would do IV's and enema's, and see what happened. I remember bawling all the way home. It took 48 hours, but every thing cleared up and both horses were fine afterwards. So surgery is not always an option, or even the best option.

For me as soon as someone is looking uncomfortable, I give enemas to get things at that end moving, and I also have a 60 cc syringe that I fill with warm water and gently put it into their cheek pocket. I will do that every half hour or so until everything is moving nicely.

Latest posts

Back