Epinephrine

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kari

Reaction score
Hi,

How many of you keep epinephrine on hand when giving annual vaccinations?

Do you think it's important, or not?

Kari

I don't. But all the horses I've vaccinated myself had been given the vaccines at least once before by the vet, with no reactions. Not sure I would feel comfortable administering the epinephrine anyway.

be careful administering epinephrine....we had a very bad experience with a VET (who claims to be a horse vet, but that's a whole other issue) who administered it to a horse (full size) when he shouldn't have and we almost lost the horse.

~kathryn

I have it in my "drug box", along with Banamine, bute, etc. I didnt get it for Spring Shots, but it's left over(and has not expired yet) from when we were giving my mare Allergy shots, incase she had a reaction to those. I've got to admit I was nervous on using it. When the vet handed it to me, it was a "only use at this time, not sooner" and "dont use it unless....". I was thankful my mare didnt have a serious reaction before it can do ALOT of harm if mis-used. So, yes, I have it on hand, but my Vet does all my shots and doesnt leave RIGHT after she gives them, so my hope is that if there is a reaction, she'll be here to catch it. But, I do have it on hand "just incase". If it was not for my mares allergy shots, I would not have it on hand and have no intentions of replacing it once it expires.

Jen

I do all my own shots and do prefer to have it on hand, more of as a precautionary measure. I have never had to use it, but I am aware of it having a short "shelf life" (over most vaccines etc) and I also know a little bit can go along ways with a miniature. So you really should talke to your vet and get instructions on how much to administer, etc..before you do use it.

I have it in my drug kit. If a horse were to have an anaphylactic reaction either from vaccinations or if they were getting Penicillin injections they wouldn't survive the 40min-2hr time frame it would take my vet to get out here! I'm 30 min from town so I try and keep emergency drugs on hand. I'm also an emergency RN so I'm not as nervous about it.

Thanks, everyone.

My vet doesn't know much on minis, so recommends I talk with other breeders.

I do have an aunt who lives close by (maybe 1/4 a mile) who in an almost- vet tech, so I have her to give it if needed.

Kari

I keep it on hand esp when giving penicillin. I have had two horses have reaction.

Call something scary! Thank god I had it.

What is weird is the horses that had reactions we're. 1/2 sisters. I not don't give penicillin to any of her siblings.

Barb

Yes we keep it on hand and have only had to give it one time over the last 20 years. But Im glad I had it. The vet had given vaccinations and one yearling colt had a reaction after the vet left so it was scary. But he was fine and eating hay just an hour after treating him. It really scared me but so glad I had it on hand.

Back