Enlighten me gently please!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Margo,

Exceptional posting - I agree 100% with every single word you have written.
default_yes.gif
Thank you for sharing your thoughts so well.
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif

I have to agree. Excellent post, Margo!

Susan O.

I agree.... Once a Miniature, always a Miniature.

If so many people agree that they should retain their papers regardless of height, then why hasn't this been put in place? What are we waiting for?

And, what's so magical about 34" and 38" anyway? You think they'd pick something even. Like 36" and 40"...

As long as AMHA and AMHR are excluding horses from the registry based on height, it will remain a height registry. Breed registries, while they may have ideal heights, do not exclude based on that factor.

Hi folks

Thank you all for your "enlightenment" and thank you for allowing this to remain cordial and open minded. I too am of the personal opinion that 2 registered horses should be able to create a registered offspring -- regardless of size, however there should be some "allowance" to not allow an obvious dwarf to carry full registration papers that would allow breeding to continue from that animal. Breeding stock only for oversize animals could also be allowed, but prohibit them from showing.

People will get all ramped up about the possibility of allowing oversize animals to influence the breeding gene pool - so we could ask the registries to offer the option of the breeders to have their animals' sizes "legitmasized" by having directors measure the individal horses and have their height re-recorded on their registration papers and some snazzy "gold seal" or something given to any animal that has X generations of horses under 34" (or 38") in their pedigree. Cost would be borne by the breeder of course. Obvously this couild be a big cash cow for the registries!

But, I strongly suspect that the reason that the REGISTRIES remain REGISTRIES is due specifically to the fact that has been alluded to that if they were promoting themselves as a BREED, then there would be cause for a lawsuit such as has gone down in the AQHA association.

We, as members, should have the right to change this -- it would be something that would need to be proposed correctly as it would involve changing many By-Laws of each association. Then it would go to vote and the fallout would be what it would be -- perhaps that is the direction we should apply our energy to.

What do you all think about that option?

Stacy

In reality its just words. Breeds are "races" of horses and the registries are the offices that keep track of the paper work that identify each horse. It is what we make of it. The miniature horse is more of a breed than the Pinto, Palomino, or Buckskin registries.

In reality its just words. Breeds are "races" of horses and the registries are the offices that keep track of the paper work that identify each horse. It is what we make of it. The miniature horse is more of a breed than the Pinto, Palomino, or Buckskin registries.
Just curious as how so? The color registries have limits for registration just like we do. Not by breed or bloodline but for them color. For us its height. Not much difference. Even in Pinto if you get a solid foal out of 2 pinto parents you are still allowed breeding papers. I also feel that AMHA and/or AMHR is more of a breed because its not just based on color. But still you got to look at it that way.

Just curious as how so? The color registries have limits for registration just like we do. Not by breed or bloodline but for them color. For us its height. Not much difference.
Where I see the diffference is that except for the few hardshipped horses, the Miniature Horse registrys are made up of horses within their own registry for generations now.

The pinto, and other "colour only" associations accept horses of any and all discriptions and types, from most other registries, as well as grades. There are very few actual known bloodlines of that particular colour association but a conglomeration of outside breeding, simply meeting the colour standards.

We have come further than that.

Which is why IMO the registeries need to stop looking at it by height but more like a breed/bloodlines. I feel like we are close or ready there to say we can be. Just need a way to do it. Perhaps AMHA closing there books is a step towards the right direction but perhaps they need to leave it open for AMHR horses, and allow oversize horses with breeding papers only. I think by closing it down pernamently won't do any good. I also think AMHR should also still allow hardshipping in both AMHA and yes even ASPC.

Back