Breeding Ponies

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FurstPlaceMiniatures

Reaction score
I've decided to strongly consider breeding my filly next year.

I know what I want - I want her, with a better foot, longer neck, a little bit more 'bone,' a drier Arab head, in black and white - with her awesome temperament and epic level of athleticism. Also about 13hh like she is. She will be sport pony inspected this fall. I want her offspring to be candidates as well. My plan was always to breed pinto kids ponies that could hold their own in any arena.

I'm high maitenance I know lol

So as I begin to shop I'm thinking about registration. She is currently only pinto.

My 2 candidates so far are an al Khamsa black Arab, and a imported (Irish or English, I forget right now) black welsh with chrome. That would make the foal register able half Arab or half welsh correct?

Or should I just shoot for sport pony? What other registries have you guys liked? Does it really matter to be registered to be a high dollar hunter?

In the end, what matters is what you want and what the market you are breeding for wants. I remember a time, when I was promoting some of our ponies as H/J prospects - I was told NEVER to admit that some were part Arab... That market, at the time, wasn't wanting part Arab ponies. They wanted the Welsh/TB Xs.

Yes, the Arab stallion should get you a 1/2 arab sport pony (think that's still BIG in the Arab world right now) and the Welsh stallion a 1/2 welsh sport pony. If colored, then you can indeed register pinto as well as the same Sport Pony registry you are looking at for your mare. Which one are you registering her with? Are there shows in your area that will make her more valuable being registered that way?

Once upon a time, we looked at doing the Sport Pony Registry - and then changed our minds. It just wasn't' the way we needed to go at the time - I didn't feel we'd meet the requirements for the stallion/resulting foals in the time required with the breeding I was doing and the ponies I'd already sold. It didn't hurt my sales (at that time) - in fact, our ponies sold just as well w/o. Could we have gotten more - I don't know. I do know I didn't regularly "run in those circles" - so for me to sell most of my Xbred ponies to hunter/jumper/dressage & CDE people was always amazing. My prices weren't high and they certainly didn't put me into the black of a business realm, but when compared to the amount of showing and advertising I did and where - we did very, very well... and I had happy clients, sometime repeat clients that came looking for my "AJ" babies and the ponies also always seemed happy.

Have you also looked at breeding her to a Hackney stallion? There are definitely some out there that could give you a whole lot of fancy performance and jumping ability, though MAYBE not as much chance to register (I don't know on that score). Of course, then you could end up with too much action - you just never know...

Would love to have websites of the horses you've chosen as prospects! I miss some of our Xbred ponies, LOL.

Last edited by a moderator:
I understand that this TINY mare (1/2 Hackney-1/2 Shetland - registered as ASPR and Pinto) sold again a couple of years ago. For around $50,000.

This is how she started for us:

2397.jpg
affd.jpg

5497.jpg
6e08.jpg

I then sent her to a trainer for consignment sale. Paid the trainer's fees for 3.5 months and she didn't sell, but the trainer called me and offered a lease w/ option to purchase. It was awesome. I received enough money in the next few months that paid for all of the previous fees I'd invested in her. Unfortunately, the trainer didn't have an upcoming small rider that could take her on so when that lease period was up, she was returned home - but I had a well trained pony who'd been exhibited in some pretty tough arenas and done exceedingly well, for our daughter to now finish taking more advanced lessons on her before she outgrew her! Sierra didn't make it to the show ring with her (Hunter circuit) but her riding sure did advance...

640c.jpg

I sold her and one of her full sisters to a woman in 2006 - for $2,500 for the pair. As hunter Pony prospects.

0724792-R1-008-2A.jpg

She put the older girl with an advanced trainer that had a barn full of kids and w/i 2 months they had her in the ring! She had a fan club following her then and from what I've heard, she still does!

In the end, I didn't make money, but I sure didn't lose any either. It all balanced out for us. Vixen was a lesson pony for us. She went on a total of 4 leases - 2 were free leases off of our property (and she was a lesson pony for me at that one barn along with them leasing her) and the 3rd one was a paid lease; the 4th was to another local riding instructor for her son and for about 6 months Vixen was his lesson pony with a 3 day event instructor before he also outgrew her. She was an awesome pony thru several years of riding for the youngest daughter (Sierra), but the middle daughter (Madira) rode her off/on as well. While with me, I taught lessons on her specifically with 5 riding students. Would I have liked to have gotten that $50k? Sure. BUT I also know what was invested in her and trust me, they didn't really make any more $ with her sale than I had! Her full sister ("Simi" above) is still in the original barn with the original woman whom I sold the pair too and has the a new crew of "kiddies" following after her!

Vixen was my '98 Mother's Day filly and she turned 18 yrs old this year. I haven't actually seen Vixen myself in several years, but every now and then I hear how she'd doing and it always makes me smile! I understand she can still do a full hunter course with "kiddie" on her back and that she's still not a complete "packer". The little rider has to think when they ride her!

I was planning on getting her NASPR inspected. The inspection and the brand are indicators of quality - plus if she ever found herself in a bad situation, it looks close to the warmbloods brand and someone who knew something would see it and hopefully save her - knowing at one point she was NICE.

I had considered hackney - but we don't have a big local population, and I have yet to see any that make me go 'DAY-UM.' Like the welsh and they Arab do. Both those boys have awesome temperaments.

I've also considered crossing her to an old school Morgan - but I'd worry about birthing ease, as the one I love is just over 15hh. And blocky.

We have a big hunter jumper/fox hunting clique up here. Miss Reba fits right in with their imports. I often get asked 'what breed is she?! She's gorgeous and I need one.' My response is 'craigslist' and people are floored.

I know she's a true hunter pony type that also can go western easy enough.

You R talking about the wonderful red/white filly right? I think I have the right person with the right pony?

Here's a pic of me (HA - in "all" my "glory" - LOL. I still can't lose that weight but at least when I was riding - I could do stuff that put folks half my age and weight to shame. I can tell I "ride a desk" now!) riding our middle daughter's Arab mare... PG (Pretty Girl) was all of 13.3 hh and she was a little firecracker, right up until the day she passed! I LOVE a good, "old fashioned", plenty of substance Arab, Welsh and Morgan. Nowadays, I like em a whole lot closer to the ground, but most under 14 hh don't have the substance to carry me as I am, so... I last rode this mare in 2012 and she passed in 2014.

08SepPGyvhRide150dpi.jpg

Her son needs a job....

16jun16sam1706.jpg

16jun16sam1723.jpg

15jul31sam0718.jpg

15jul31sam0746.jpg

He's actually grown. I was seriously looking at him the other day. I might just pull him from the pasture when this weather breaks and start working with him a bit. Now that he's mature, he could probably carry even me - for at least long enough to get him going. He's another by our very first Shetland stallion and he had potential, just came at the wrong time...
default_sad.png

His dam never got her Arab papers - took me years to get the transfer out of the breeder I bought her from. Then her dam was DNAd by blood and the DNA company for AHA wanted her re-done via hair sample and I was never able to get that from the woman who bought her... So he's one of those grade ponies! His other 1/2 brothers and sisters got their 1/2 Arab registration papers...

Yes, that is the same organization we were looking at registering our stallion and two Arab mares with (had a 3rd mare, but with being partially paralyzed we were told she couldn't be inspected and her foals wouldn't be eligible even though we had two AWESOME 1/2 Shetland mares out of her).

Like I stated though, for us, at the time, it just wasn't worth it. WOW, just looked at their stallion list(s). I recognize so many of the current unlisted ones and at one time or another had either seen quite a few of them in person or was "talking" with owners via email!!

Wynnbrook Starburst competed in MANY a Dressage event here in NC and went out of state, too. He sired a lot of REALLY NICE ponies - purebred welsh & 1/2 welsh. I loved watching him at some of the events I "caught" him at!

There was a bay tobiano Shetland stallion that did the stallion testing and was graded and made it into the NASPR. I wish I could remember his name(want to say part of it was "Joey")! We were on a different forum then (gone now) - and his owner kept us all updated on his training & conditioning up to the grading. Then pics and how he did at the grading (VERY WELL - but can't remember what he rated at either). I don't know that he ever got all the foals he needed on the ground and taken in for testing/grading... Some of his first foals were NICE little knockouts, though. He was barely 40" high, while our stallion was 45-1/4 " tall. ...

Yup, that's me!

I really like your PG mare, and her son is exactly what I want to breed for.

Her dam was a grade Arab pony that died from complications with EMS when she was 2 1/2 mos old. From the pics I've seen of her momma she looks like your PG mare too! Nobody wants to give me a clear answer as to who or what her daddy was - supposedly quarter pony but I see no quarter horse in her at all. She was bred by a hunter barn, but her owner got pregnant after her birth and I got her cheap because her owner was 38 weeks pregnant and she didn't want to deal with her crap For her safety - I wouldn't want to either. We had to have many 'come to Jesus' meetings and now Miss Reba is 'making better life choices' and reaching her potential - or at least as much as she can with me!

I need to get some updated pics. I plan to buy a bunch from the dressage show. She's turned into a super cute little pony - she looks bigger than she really is in pictures. She just has a presence. I'm planning to drive her this fall.

I don't want anything smaller than her for a hunter pony just yet. I'm 5'1" and around 150#, and on the upper limit for her petite frame. Do you think crossing Arab would make the result too fine boned? Too 'Arab-y' for hunters? Granted he's a 'real' Arab - old school, lots of Egyptian blood.

The welsh is my front runner now. Lots of bone but not coarse, cute cute face, uphill build with all sorts of hind end power. Great temperment too. I'll have to snag a picture tomorrow

Go, Miss Reba!!! How exciting. You are MUCH smaller than me - you could easily ride Sami (or any of the other 1/2 arab/shetlands we produced and may produce again)!

All of our Arab mares, and the outside Arab mares, that were bred to AJ had at least one close up line to Bask (well balanced Polish bred stallion that raced before coming to the US and setting the standards for the time in Halter) and in several instances more than one.

PG was actually a "mish-mash" of bloodlines - also going back to Spanish and Davenport/Crabbet lines. I have never figured out why she was "so small" - but for us that was perfect! Sami's pedigree show's her bloodlines - I still need to do a regular pedigree for her that is further traced out. You can find some of the individual horses on All Breed Pedigree. Here's is what she looked like when she first came to us - and some of our favorite shots...

fadd.jpg
4175.jpg
aedc.jpg

1539.jpg
8f47.jpg

Taken in Oct 08 - Sami is about 9 days old, I think...

0826oct642.jpg

and to answer your ? on the Arab stallion - really depends! I've been surprised by some of the substance with our ArabXs and in other Xs the lack of substance or becoming too petite...

When I did start with the Arab mares to AJ, I was told that all of the resulting foals would end up around 13 hh. Funny thing that - all matured over 13 hh, most around the 13.2 mark. One mare produced a colt (yet I never rebred her the same way??) that eventually matured larger than herself and almost went over the pony limit.

She is double bred Bask and triple bred Khemosabi (one of my personal favs) with Crabbet and Davenport lines on her tail female lines (Pulque was on her papers and he was another fav of mine). She herself was a very petite 14.1hh smaller than her dam who was carded right at 14.2 and her sire at 15.1 (or 2? can't remember now). Her 1/2 shetland son got officially carded in USEQ at 14.1-3/4 hh.

Chaunter's Ayre -1994 arab mare in Dec 1998 the 3rd time I rode her.

dd81.jpg
4dda.jpg

Then our oldest daughter "snuck in" and "stole" my horse.

6aa3.jpg
6643.jpg

42ef.jpg

a7dc.jpg

and her son by AJ -

b6d0.jpg
440d.jpg

92d2.jpg

bffd.jpg

I rode him a fair bit, too.

90d8.jpg

and do you know who this is?

ae79.jpg

Guess I need to see if I have pics of him moving to the left.
default_smile.png

After we sold Blizzard, he went on to "bigger and better" things and qualified for the Hunter Pony Championships at the KY Horse Park 2 yrs in a row... The first time he didn't show due to his rider coming down really ill and the 2nd time, her family had to make a choice since she also qualified a larger TB for the McClay Medal Finals - she couldn't do both and chose the Finals.

Grrr, Google changed Picasa and my photos (some 5,000 of them) no longer have .jpg extensions so that I can link them. Bliz's newer photos weren't in the Photo Bucket account, so right now I can't access any of them from after I sold him! Of course if you want to look at a lot of Shetland and Arab ancestors, plus AJ's kids... here's the link - Ancestors. I'm not sure if your computer moniter will display these pics the same as mine - his pics are on line 26 - 2 to the left (1st on the flat) and then 2 facing the right before his sire facing to the right. I hate the way Google makes them all different sizes when a lot of them are actually the same size.... UGH.

Latest posts

Back