EMERGENCY!!!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

~katie~

Reaction score
About 9:30 this morning we loaded up my Hlaf Arabian and miniature horse to go to the vets and get their shots. . .well we loaded him up (and he already hates the trailer) and he started kicking but my dad told me to just leave him in there so I went and got the miniature and loaded him up and they were both fine and then as we started to load up in the truck shadow (the half arabian) started rearing and at first he got his leg stuck in the hay slot so i got his leg undone and i told my parents that this is not a good idea and then all of a sudden he threw his head up and gashed his head open!!!
cold.gif

I started freakin out and my mom said "just leave him in there and he'll be fine when we get moving and his head was already gashed so i guess just out of instinct i shoved my mom out of the way and opened the trailer doors and let him back out. He was shaking and he was bleeding and i was just tripping out. I got him by the lead rope and walked him to the back of the house where the hose pipe is and got a wash cloth and cleaned it off best I could and put some peroxide on it.

Now he won't even let me pet him on the nose he's so scared so I put him in a small paddock with some fresh water and some hay to keep him occupied and he has strated claming down. I am really mad at my mom because she wanted to take him even though he was rearing and kicking and had a gash on his head and I really didnt care if she was the president at that time because i was going to get my horse out of there no matter what I had to do.

But see it's only THAT horse trailer. . .the other one we brought him hom in he didn't rear up or anything in it. The one we tried today was a small 2 horse trailer and the one he was brought home in was a 4 horse. . .is it a space issue of he just doesnt like small spaces???

But do you know of anything that I could do to calm him down so I can keep washing his face off? Anything I can buy to put on it to make it heal? My mom and dad haven't called the vet. . .they just called my next door neighbor who should be here anytime now to look at him but I hope that he is ok. I'm sorry to say this but I am crying my heart out hoping that it's not bad enough to have to have him put down. He' only 3 years old and I don't want to lose him just because my parents made a stupid mistake. . .and by the way it was THEIR idea to use the 2 horse trailer - i knew better than that and wanted to use the 4 horse trailer but they wouldn't let me.

Thank youall and please respond soon!

Take a deep breath head wounds tend to bleed alot and look alot worse then they are most of the time. Where did he cut it? on his face? or back by his poll (between his ears) the location makes a difference as does how deep it is and if it might need to be stitched up but for now calm down a bit and wait till the neighbor who is hopefully experienced comes to look at him and see if he feels he needs a vet

I have had this happen, although it has been some years now. I doubt that it is anything serious enough to have him put down. So take a breath and calm down. If he needs stitches you will need to take him to the vet. To clean and help heal injuries I take some betadine solution and dilute it with water so that it is the almost the color of tea and clean the area 2 times a day. Then I have something called Schrieners Herbal Solution that I spray on the area after. It was a vet that got me started with Schreiners and it does a great job. Have had a couple of really bad cuts and they healed with no scaring. Try to hold your breath when you spray it. There is cheyenne pepper in it and it will make you cough.

Good Luck,

Robin

Lisa is right sometimes there's more bloody mess than boo boo. You need to calm down and get the vet there asap. He can be going into shock and require stitches and really need those shots now especially the tetnus. So please have your mom call that vet on over now.

After this is over, we then need to talk about trailers and claustrophobic horses and what you can do about that and training him to go quietly in there but now is not the time for that.

I have a head bumper for horses that throw their heads like that. I'll be happy to send it to you.

Ok my mom REFUSES to call the vet until my neighbor (who is about an hour away) comes and looks at him and he still hasnt showed up and I'm getting VERY mad! My poor baby.
no.gif
Thank you Marty so much! I sent you a PM for it so we can work something out for that! Well I checked on him and spent some time with him. He's eating hay and drinking water and still interacting with both me and the other horses. The blood is just trickling down a little bit now and not nearly as bad as it was. The gash is about 1/2 to 1 inch wide and about and 1 or two long. The skin has just been pulled back I think but I'm trying to keep it clean. No flys are bothering him and he has astall he can go into that has water with ice in it and plenty of hay. He can also still interact with both of the other horses as well. Thanks.

Oh Sweetie, first calm down. You sound like my daughter when she was a young horse crazy girl, she was lucky to have a horse crazy mom.

You have done a perfect job so far. It sounds like he just grazed the skin off a bit and while it will bleed alot at first, just like if you hit your head, he'll be just fine. Keep it clean with warm water and a bit of either peroxide or betadine. Smear some neosporin or something similar over it.

Is it away from his eyes? If he'll wear a fly mask that will keep it clean as long as it won't rub the boo boo. You can give him a few baby aspirin for his headache if you have them. They taste yummy so he should eat them right from your hand or in a bit of grain.

Keep a eye on him and watch for any staggering or nasal discharge. I have a feeling he just scared himself silly. Set up an appt for the vet to come give the shots or wait a week and use the big trailer then.

Just be calm, it'll help you, the horse and your parents. We tend to listen to a calm mature young person as opposed to a screaming one. Dry your eyes, here's a hug. Let us know how he does.

Katie I would think the most likely thing here is LEG room, nothing more. I had a small two horse/large two pony trailer and a thin as a rake (naturally
smile.gif
) part Arab pony mare I bred- she stood 13.3hh and about three inches wide. With the divider in she FREAKED!!! Took it out and she was fine, even with another pony in there. Finally had my step daughter hang off the back of the trailer as I drove (VERY carefully) round the field. The mare straddled her hind legs so wide you would NOT believe it. So... we got a partition that was just a bar- the other one went to the floor, and she was fine-UNTIL her constant wriggling got the partition out and laid it down between her and my mare, through (between) their legs. Let's just say it could have been very, very nasty indeed and I still am indebted to the mane that got it all untangled without so much as a graze. Then we pushed the trailer over a cliff and got a lorry
smile.gif

Latest posts

Back