Emergency, Annabelle is not doing good

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kim P

Reaction score
Annabelle was lethargic and just laying around. I saw a drop of blood on her back where something bit her! Both eyes were swollen, one more than the other. Kate listened to her belly and it was gurgling so she said it was not colic. She called her vet and went and got her a shot. I thought maybe a wasp stung her. She is peeing and pooping and nursing. She is just standing around. Her breathing seems to be a little fast. Vet said take her in tomorrow if she is not better. What else could it be!

Allergic reaction possibly. I'm probably not of much help. How much blood was on her back? I don't think a wasp would cause bleeding to show through her fur. Is she sweaty? What kind of shot was it?

Was it really warm today? Could have been from heat stress. But I haven't heard of that causing eye swelling..

No it rained but not hard and I left them out. I think it was a steroid shot. Like a drop when a big horsefly bites.

It was a nice day, not hot or cold.

Thought it would be a steroid shot. I'll be surprised if they don't confirm allergic reaction. Good that you acted quickly. Is her swealling still receding? And she is still nursing?

Hopefully the forums vet will see this soon, and be able to give you more information. Sorry I can't be of much more help.

How is she Kim ? Hope she is feeling 100% in no time
default_smile.png

How long ago did she have the shot ? It could also be a reaction to changes in the weather with spring fast approaching, pollen ect.

Give her a big hug from all of us on here
default_smile.png

Keep us posted ill be checking in all day (whilst im working LOL )

She seems to be fine now. We went to eat and came back and she was laying down still. I moved them to their pen and she got up and ran. Chased her around the yard for a minute before she went in the pen. Swelling is gone. Maybe a spider bit her? I have never had snakes in my yard. What ever it was I am glad she is okay now. Scared us.

Glad she is ok! That is scarey,

Whatever it was is gone. She was running and bucking and having a good time again today. Thanks every one.

Your initial thought of a wasp sting or bug bite is likely right. Glad to hear she has recovered and is her spunky self again.

Latest posts

Back