Elderly Horses...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ali

Reaction score
I noticed on the mini forum that some people are putting blankets on their elderly horses. A couple of my mares are aged, however, have not exhibited a thin winter coat yet. Weather permitting, they are outside most of the day and stalled each night.

My question is this. What type of coats are you using? I have a quilted coat and coolers in case of emergency. Do you use the heavy cotton types, quilted types or are their others I should be considering. I know that coolers are for sweating out.

My QH mare is 22 yrs old
wub.gif
and my shetland mare which was basically a rescue is assumed to be around 18 yrs old
wub.gif
This shetland mare grows a coat just like the mini's...whooly mammoths!

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I think it's time I start looking into it and finding them coats when they are on sale.

Thanks.

I have a few blankets that have a poly coating on them,(almost looks like a tarp and feels like it too!) so rain, snow or sleet wont go thru them, they are lined with a heavy quilted material. Then I have a few custom made blankets which were made for the saddlebreds, they are a canvas duck outside, but the inside is lined with a heavy almost like a fake fur type material. These blankets seem to be exceptionally warm, but were very expensive to have made. I think a person could probably line any mini blanket with the same type of "fake fuzzy fur" for added warmth. All the other blankets are the usual standard type, but I very seldom have to use them on anyone, except my old arabian, who will be 35yrs old. Corinne

I wouldnt blanket them at all unless they appear cold. We have blankets on hand in case we need them but havent found that we have yet. We have water proof ones for the summer that I just put over a winter quilted one if necessary.

I have had my younger hard to keep horse get cold. In that case I just put him inside, dried him out and loaded him up on hay. He was more content that way then with a blanket on.

That's it though! I don't want to blanket any of them but I felt it a good idea considering their age to start looking for a blanket while they are on sale. Blankets frighten me unless they are used to warm a cold horse. I try to prevent my horse from getting cold by not putting them out on cold, wet days and heavy wind even though they have shelters. I may leave them to roam the barn aisle, taking turns or leave my barn doors open for fresh air during this kind of weather. I just wanted to know what blankets are used on elderly horses and what are the best buys/types.

I guess the the duck/twill types are the best?

Thanks,
smile.gif

My quarter horse Sonny is 22 years old. Most of my quarter horses lived to a ripe old age some into their 30's so I am well versed on care for the elderly. Sonny will in fact be wearing his winter blanket again this year. He always does. Sonny does not get a very thick hair coat at all. Of course I never expected that he would get whooly like the minis, but he simply never hairs up real big and thick like some big horses do. His hair coat is rather thin and he does stay pretty slick. So, to compensate, he will wear his winter blanket when it goes below 30 degrees. I do keep all my horses in the barn and out of the bad winds and bad weather. They are all stalled at night too. However they do get a daily turn out, usually all day as long as it's not nasty outside. The trick is not to let them get wet I think.

I would like to suggest to you State Line Tack.

www.StateLineTack.com

I select for Sonny the blankets that have a wide belly band and leg jobs. They stay in place very nicely and he can roll and jump around and cut up and it doesn't turn. I like the ones that go over the head too. That is so the front buckle won't dig holes in their chests as they bend down to eat. They always seem to need constant adjusting.

I do not like the duct/twill. They are murder on your washing machine and will tear it up and shrink like crazy. Too heavey and bulky for me to drag around too. Go for the nylon type/ cordura type.

I would also like to suggest to you to put your older horse on a artheritis supplement. They do not always show symptoms but trust me, they are usually at work. Like on colder damp days I get out of bed and every bone in my lucious body aches and it takes a couple of asprin to start the day. So go to the supplement sections of State Line or Jeffers ( www.Jeffersequine.com) and browse. I use Corta Flex and MSM and mix them together during winter for Sonny.

For the minis, I don't cover them up at all. Matter of fact, they get so whooly that if you blanket them on top of that, you will cause sweating and getting them hot under that and that will just make them sick and could lead to pneumonia too. I do keep some sheets and blankets on hand for them though in case of emergencys. That's always a good idea. When it's very muddy outside I put a light sheet on them. I always can wash the sheet but not the horse. I do sell them on my website too at the Miniature Horse Emporium and they are very nice and a medium weight. If you are concerend about the one that you rescued, just get him one of those to keep on hand. If you see him shiver, just put the blanket on and feed him and that should stop it.

Here is a link for you. This is similar to one that I would buy for Sonny. It was $99. and marked down now to $49.

javascript:eek:pen_zoomwindow('http://www.statelinetack.com/global/product_large_img.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524441805180&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302029975&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=2534374302024176&bmUID=1132154508865')

OH GOOD HEAVEN'S SORRY! Just to go State Line Tack and look at the State Line Blanket 600 D model there.

If you go to Jeffers Equine.com select their closeout sale page. They have a 420 denier blanket there that I like for $48. on sale right now too with color choices and closed front too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Marty, I'll check out those sites when I get back from Xmas shopping tonite.

I totally, absolutely agree with you on blanketing (not) a horse. I would only blanket in case of shivers, etc. I'm not saying that I want to blanket either of them as they currently are doing quite well growing healthy and shining coats. I was only worried about the future and given her age that it could be sometime within the next few years and because I have 2 in the Geriatric ward and two more going there in a few years, I want to buy a few at a time instead of all at once. I know they are pricey. Figures I have to buy one full-size, 2 ponies and one donk!

I'm glad you touched on arthritis. I think my aged mare is starting to exhibit fullness in her knee caps and hocks but it's difficult to be sure with all that fur. My dog who will be 17 years in six days has been on daily doses of aspirin (coated and low) for over a year. I believe she would have died of pain and grief if the aspirin hadn't be administered in my unprofessional opinion, of course.

P.S. Hey Marty, what's with the wide angle lens on your post?

biggrin.gif

My favortite blankets are Wetherbeta they are truly weatherproof and lightweight and breathable. They are a bit pricey but worth it.

My aged T/B wears a day sheet any day it gets down to 40 anything lower then that he is in his blanket at nite

Thats my project for next weekend. I make mine out of the blankets used to ship furniture, they are quilted heavy and way big enough. They are only 7.00 and last for 4 or 5 years. I will be "attempting" to sew a hood too.

I haven't used it yet, but I bought my senior half-Arab gelding a winter blanket before I left Colorado six years ago (I was working at State Line Tack dept in a PetsMart - so wanted to take advantage of my employee discount). I bought him a New Zealand rug (knock-off), because he is so hard on blankets - it's canvas on the outside and wool-blend liner. Can't find anything similar on the State Line website.

Here's a picture of the brand-name version blanket I bought:

http://www.bombproofhorseblankets.com/16oz.htm

Latest posts

Back