EHV-1 outbreaks

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michelle@wescofarms

Reaction score
Can I ask does anyone on here have a vet that has succussfully developed a protocol for the neurological (Myeloencephalopathy) form of EHV-1?

The outbreaks seem to be getting much more serious and we had considered showing this year (we've even been planning on Nationals), but are likely going to stay home. This virus is deadly and everything I've read online and via email scares me to expose my horses at all or unnecessarily.

TheHorse.com has the most recent articles on it. I hadn't realized that the state of Virginia had cancelled shows/auctions earlier this year because of this. We've just had recent cases being discussed a few hours south of us, hence my concern.

Have you talked to your vet about the use of "Rhinomune" to vaccinate(as opposed to the 'more usual' vaccines such as "Pneumabort K + 1b", either alone or in a combo shot? It *seems* like I recall reading something about how the "Rhinomune" being thought to be somewhat more effective? "Rhinomune" is a modified live virus vaccine: I remember that it used to not be recommended for pregnant mares--I notice that the advertising now states that it is OK for mares past two months along in their pregnancy(of course, I'd double check that time frame, and be sure of the complete manufacturer's product recommendations, before using, espl. if I had bred mares!)--whereas every other rhino vaccine I can think of having seen advertised is a killed virus vaccine....?

I did read something about increasing concerns/problems w/ the neurological form of rhino; if it is spreading around the country, it would certainly be a cause of great concern, IMO, for those hauling horses to shows and such...for one thing, the efficacy of vaccination for EHV(and 'flu', for that matter) is apparently very short, with boosters recommended every three months(that I've seen)...and of course, NO vaccine is 100%, no matter what. Keeping any horse FULLY vaccinated is getting increasingly expensive, too--meaning that the likelihood of encountering horses that HAVEN'T been fully vaccinated gets higher...it's a 'catch-22', for sure. I can appreciate your concern, Michelle--and wish I had an answer to your original question....

Margo

I just talked to my vet about this yesterday as I did shots. She says that a 5-way covers that strain. Or in my case a 4-way plus the added Rhino shot to the ones traveling.

So, no one has heard anything about this?

It has been in the news and to me is fairly significant as there isn't an effective protocol for treatment and there is a high 48% or so death rate with this disease. That is much higher than WNV. It also has been transmitted via clothing, etc., not just horse to horse contact.

Ashley, you may want to do a bit of research online. The EHV-1 vaccine does not according to current research protect for the neurological form.

This is from one of the articles listed below.

TREATMENT

Vaccines are available for the prevention of respiratory disease and abortions related to EHV-1; however, no vaccine is currently available to prevent the neurological form of EHV-1. Some research even suggests that vaccination may predispose horses to the neurological form of EHV-1.

However, the majority of the horses affected in the UK were not vaccinated. Hence, there is controversy as to whether the vaccine predisposes horses to the neurological form of the disease.

The best form of prevention is to keep your horses at home, thus limiting horse-to-horse contact. If this is not possible, limiting horse travel is advised. Also, any horse returning to a facility or moving to a new facility should be isolated.

An isolation period of 30 days is advised as the herpesvirus may be shed in various secretions (tears, respiratory secretions, and abortive fluids, etc.) for at least 14 days.

In addition, stress may cause a horse (as in people) that has recovered to again begin shedding herpesvirus.

No specific treatment is available for EHV-1. Supportive therapy (such as IV fluids, bladder catheterization, etc.) and nursing care (keep horses quiet, minimize stress, etc.) are extremely important to an animal’s survival.

Antiinflammatory agents should be used in an effort to minimize damage to the spinal cord.

In the Ohio outbreak, acyclovoir, a human drug used in the treatment of herpes infections, was used. The efficacy of treating horses with acyclovoir is promising.

In horses that survive, recovery can take several months. In those horses that don’t progress to recumbency, a complete recovery can be expected, while horses that become recumbent and survive may continue with some degree of neurological deficit.

Although the neurological form of EHV-1 is uncommon, it is periodically seen in the horse population. For additional information regarding EHV-1, contact a veterinarian familiar with the prevention and treatment of equine herpesvirus.

- - -

California Equine Herpesvirus Update by: Erin Ryder, News Editor

March 20 2007 Article # 9165

Five horses have been confirmed positive for equine herpesvirus-1 (EHV-1) in San Mateo County, Calif. Results are pending on one other horse. Three horses have been euthanatized, and three are undergoing acyclovir antiviral treatment.

Wayne Browning, DVM, of Bayhill Equine, has been monitoring the cases. He will be leading a public meeting on EHV-1 at the Mounted Patrol Grounds in Woodside at 7 p.m. on Wednesday, March 21st.

Browning said veterinarians are still investigating the source of the virus. They are considering latency (the virus' ability to remain dormant in a horse and become active when the horse is stressed) as well as the possibility of exposure to an asymptomatic horse that was shedding the virus.

Three farms are under voluntary quarantine. Browning said one of the facilities adjoins the index farm, and some of the horses at the third stable were exposed to a horse that later developed clinical signs.

- - -

Herpesvirus Shuts Down Virginia Horse Shows by: The Associated Press

March 02 2007 Article # 9060

An outbreak of an equine herpes virus has prompted Virginia's state veterinarian to shut down all horse shows and public horse sales. At least five horses have tested positive and several northern Virginia counties have been quarantined. Wednesday (Feb. 28), the Virginia Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services announced that all shows and auctions would be canceled until at least Monday because of the highly contagious and potentially fatal equine rhinopneumonitis virus.

While the start of the horse season is weeks away, some preseason shows were affected by the order.

"We were planning to go to a local show in Virginia Beach this weekend," said Fred White of the Gentle Touch Stables in Hampton, Va. "Hopefully they can keep this from spreading. That's got to be the most important factor right now."

Racetracks in Pennsylvania and West Virginia are also not accepting horses from Virginia.

The airborne virus poses no known health threat to humans. In horses, it affects the respiratory system and can occasionally cause neurological damage.

Stable owners supported the decision by state veterinarian Richard Wilkes to stop shows and auctions.

The Virginia Horse Show Association has recommended no shows until at least March 11.

- - -

This email is being sent to alert you to the fact that there is currently an

outbreak of the neurotropic form of Equine Herpes Virus

-1 (EHV-1) on the peninsula. Two date, four horses from two

Montara boarding facilities have been euthanized.

Below are messages from Dr. Wayne Browning of Bayhill Equine and Dr.

Russ Petersen of Peninsula Equine.

Please use caution as it appears that this virus can spread without

physical contact. Further, even though we all vaccinate twice a year

for EHV-1 and EHV-4, apparently that does not help with the

neurotropic form of this virus. It's all very confusing. More

information will be available soon regarding limiting the outbreak and

treating affected horses.

Recommendations at this point are:

. Restrict the movement of your horses to and from the affected area.

. Watch for fever and unsteady movement/gait or difficulty standing

. Careful handling to prevent contamination: washing hands, avoiding

shared water buckets, tie posts, etc.

Bayhill Equine

Dr. Wayne Browning

123 Belmont Avenue

Redwood City , CA 94061

(650) 851-2300 . BayhillEq@aol. <mailto: BayhillEq%40aol.com com

As most of you already know there has been a recent outbreak of the

neurotropic form of Equine Herpes Virus (EHV-1) in Montara. This was

the first confirmed case in San Mateo County . To date, Bayhill

Equine is the only veterinary practice that has seen, or treated any

horse involved in this outbreak.Therefore, as many questions have

arisen, I felt I should respond to a previous post to let people know

the current status and avoid any misinformation.

I originally saw a 4-year old filly on Monday morning, March11, that

was unable to stand and had a history of fever 5 days earlier.

Another horse in the same paddock was also showing signs of ataxia

(incoordination). Based on clinical signs, history, and multiple

horses affected, a tentative diagnosis of EHV-1 was made and the

horses referred to UC-Davis. By 5:15 that afternoon, a positive

diagnosis was confirmed by laboratory tests. I called at area

veterinarians on Tuesday morning, which is where they got their

information. Both horses were started on Valcyclovir, but were

euthanized yesterday after failing to respond to treatment.

Two other horses on this ranch were febrile and were thus tested. One

was positive and one was negative. Of of these horses had gone on a

ride with members of a neighboring ranch one day prior to breaking

with a fever. Additionally, a 29 year-old mare was euthanized on a

second neighboring ranch after being unable to stand. She and one

additional horse tested positive today, March 15th. Therefore, these

three ranches are currently on a voluntary quarantine based on

recommendations from out practice and those of UC-Davis.

No new horse had been introduced on the primary ranch for 6 weeks, and

the last horse to do so was from Pescadero. Dr. Magdesian at UC-Davis

felt that a fomite, such as clothing or shoes, could have been the

introduction method. He did not believe it was a spontaneous

mutation. Additionally, Drs. Madigan and Dr. Ferraro are planning a

site visit after obtain ranch owner approval both to study and to make

further recommendations to contain the outbreak.

I have attached a copy of the letter I wrote today, which is an

updated version of the one posted on the 12th. Also, we have

additional pages covering prevention, treatment, and management that

are available. You may contact our office for these or with any

addtional questions regarding the status of this outbreak.

PS.

1) Obviously contact your regular veterinarian for information

regarding treatment, prevention, etc. I simply said that we have

those papers already available which include links to appropriate web

sites for the latest information, etc.

2) Bayhill Equine is working with UC-Davis to contact the ranch owners

to obtain permission to visit the properties. We will be there as well

to ask questions of them, etc.

3) We are holding a community forum for all boarders on the coast so

we can update them with the latest information as well in hopes of

limiting this outbreak

Russ Peterson, DVM MS,

PENINSULA EQUINE MEDICAL CENTER

http://www.peneq. <http://www.peneq.com/ com/

These cases have been confirmed and their vaccination status is still

under investigation. The State Veterinarians have been advised and

will be meeting with UCD staff and others consulting on the

implementation of more specific guidelines for handling quarantines,

etc as these are voluntary at this time.

Restriction of movement of horses between affected areas and

surrounding horse populations is critical to prevent spread; as

contagious horses may not be showing clinical signs of illness. Until

more specifics are available regarding the scope and source of this

EHV-1 hotspot, we recommend strict movement restrictions to-and-from

the affected area, vigilant monitoring of healthy horses for fever or

other signs, preventive immunization and measures specific to the

population at risk, and SPECIAL consideration to potential spread of

the virus via owners, handlers, service staff ( farriers, trainers,

etc) by utilizing recommended biohazard transmission prevention

measures.

An overview of these management measures, EHV-1 information from

previous outbreaks, and links to informative web sites can be obtained

on our website ( www.peneq.com). Feel free to contact our staff or

your individual DVMs for updates which we will strive to keep current

as developments and info becomes available.

- - -

Purdue research

FINAL DIAGNOSIS:

Ataxia with Equine Herpes Virus Type 1 Infection in a Horse

History: A Thorough-bred mare, reportedly 17.5 years old, was submitted dead for necropsy to the Purdue Animal Disease Diagnostic Laboratory. The history included marked asymmetric ataxia for approximately four months. The animal did not respond to treatment for equine protozoal myeloencephalitis (EPM) and was euthanized. The owner reported herpes virus infection earlier in the year.

Gross Findings: Scattered petechial hemorrhages were seen in sections of spinal cord at the level of T17-L3, predominantly in the ventral and ventrolateral funiculi. The surrounding parenchyma was occasionally soft, with gray discoloration. The brain was grossly normal.

Histopathologic Findings: The main lesions in the spinal cord consisted of wallerian-like degeneration accompanied by non-suppurative myelitis with vasculitis. The degenerative lesions were present in all the sections examined, accompanied by minimal inflammatory lesions, with the caudal thoracic and cranial lumbar segments being the most severely affected, accompanied by multifocal hemorrhage. Multifocal non-suppurative encephalitis was observed in all sections of brain examined except the frontal cerebral cortex.

Discussion: The inflammatory reaction in sections of spinal cord from this animal was centered on blood vessels, occasionally accompanied by hemorrhage. These lesions are highly suggestive of a primary vasculitis with secondary ischemic injury to the neuroparenchyma. Immunohistochemistry revealed a positive staining for equine herpes virus-1 (EHV-1) antigen in smooth muscle cells of spinal arterioles, arteries, and veins. PCR for West Nile virus on a sample of spinal cord was negative. These results, as well as the reported previous infection by this virus, are highly suggestive of EHV-1 infection.

Herpes virus infection is ubiquitous in horses, and most animals are infected by the first year of life. Neurologic disease is an uncommon sequela to EHV-1 infection in horses and is usually, but not invariably, associated with a recent history of fever, abortion, or respiratory disease in the affected animal or herdmates. Myeloencephalopathy due to EHV-1 is commonly an epizootic disease, but may affect single animals in a herd. Pregnant or lactating mares may be more susceptible, although stallions, geldings, and foals have also been affected with this disease.

Natural EHV-1 infection is acquired via inhalation or ingestion of virus that is shed primarily from the nasopharynx. The incubation period for signs of neurologic disease after experimental and natural infection with EHV-1 is 6-10 days. This form of EHV-1 infection can occur at any time of the year, but the highest incidence is in the late winter, spring, and early summer, perhaps reflecting the seasonal occurrence of abortigenic EHV-1 infections during the same months. Neurologic signs are of abrupt onset, and horses may be found recumbent as the first evidence of the disease. Clinical signs most often reflect spinal cord lesions; ataxia and paresis of the pelvic limbs are common, and passive dribbling of urine is a characteristic feature. Signs may be mild and transient as recovery or compensation occurs with minimal lesions. With severe lesions, recumbency occurs in 12-24 hours from the onset of neurological signs. Sometimes ascending paralysis is observed and animals may die in coma or convulsion or be euthanized because of secondary complications. Morbidity rates ranging from less than 1% to almost 90% of exposed individuals and mortality rates ranging from 0.5-43% of in-contact horses have been reported.

The pathogenesis involves viral endotheliotropism and associated vasculitis and thrombosis in the central nervous system with resultant ischemia and myelomalacia. Immune mechanisms have been implicated, but immunohistochemical demonstration of EHV-1 antigen in neurons of affected horses and association of myeloencephalopathy with certain EHV-1 strains indicate that primary viral neurotropism might also occur. EHV-1 has been reported to maintain a latent state in lymphoid tissues, leukocytes, and trigeminal ganglia. Reactivation of latent EHV-1 infection after stress situations has been reported as a possible source of infection.

The cerebrospinal fluid from affected animals is often xanthochromic with elevated protein but normal numbers of cells (i.e., virtually none). During the early stage of the infection, there is a cell-associated viremia, and virus may be isolated from the buffy coat in affected horses; however, failure to isolate EHV-1 does not rule out the diagnosis. A 4-fold increase in serum neutralizing antibody titer is considered diagnostic for EHV-1 infection, and a single high titer (greater than 1:256) also suggests recent natural infection. PCR in whole blood, nasopharyngeal swabs, lymphoid tissues, and trigeminal ganglia is another valuable technique in supporting a diagnosis of EHV-1 myeloencephalopathy, but decreased or absent viral shedding due to stage of infection, previous vaccination, or viral latency might affect the viral DNA detection. Postmortem examination, including spinal cord histopathology and immunohistochemistry, are recommended to confirm the diagnosis of EHV-1 myelo-encephalopathy.

No specific treatment of equine herpes myeloencephalopathy is currently available; thus, management of horses with this condition is directed toward supportive nursing, nutritional care, and reduction of central nervous system inflammation. Treatment with the antiviral agent acyclovir has been recommended. Further studies are required, however, to evaluate the thera-peutic efficacy of antiviral agents in the treatment of neurologic disease associated with EHV-1.

There is currently no known method to reliably prevent the neurologic form of EHV-1 infection. None of the EHV-1 or EHV-4 vaccines currently available carry a claim that they prevent EHV-1 myelo-encephalopathy, and the disease has been observed in horses vaccinated regularly at 3-4 month intervals with inactivated and modified live vaccines. Nevertheless, it is recommended to maintain appropriate vaccination procedures in an attempt to reduce the incidence of the other manifestations of EHV-1 infection and reduce the magnitude of challenge experienced by in-contact horses. This may indirectly help prevent EHV-1 myeloencephalopathy.

This case emphasizes that EHV-1 infection, although of rare occurrence, has to be considered as a possible cause for gait abnormalities affecting single or multiple horses on the premises, in addition to other viral myeloencephalitides, including West Nile virus, rabies virus, and togaviral encephalomyelitis, as well as equine protozoal myeloencephalitis, wobbler syndrome, cervical vertebral fracture, degenerative myelopathy, and a variety of plant and chemical intoxications.

-by Dr. Ingeborg Langohr, ADDL Graduate Student

- - -

Protocol for EHV-1 respiratory -

Pfizer recommendations

- - - - -

http://cvm.msu.edu/Extension/equine/up2004...rpesvirus-1.doc

2005 Update: Equine Herpesvirus-1 Outbreaks

The Equine Herpesvirus-1 virus can cause three different forms of disease that include: a respiratory disease (rhinopneumonitis, or sometimes called just rhino) which affects mostly young horses, abortions in pregnant mares, and neurologic disease (equine herpesvirus myeloencephalopathy).

Most commonly, this virus manifests itself as a respiratory disease in young horses. Abortion storms also occur in nonvaccinated pregnant mares.

The neurological form of EHV-1 is less common. However, in 2003, the respiratory outbreaks of EHV-1 often involved the neurological form with the outbreak at the University of Findlay in Ohio being the most devastating.

2003 OUTBREAKS

In 2003 a number of outbreaks of respiratory and neurologic illness occurred in the USA and the United Kingdom (UK).

In the Findlay, Ohio outbreak, 90 percent of the approximately 140 horses had respiratory symptoms with about one-third of the horses also having neurological symptoms. EHV-1 caused the demise of approximately 12 horses displaying neurological signs.

The source of the Ohio disease outbreak remains somewhat of a mystery. However, the disease was most likely brought to the Findlay campus with the arrival of new horses at the beginning of a new semester. The disease was confined to the equestrian facility.

All of the horses were vaccinated prior to their arrival on campus, which is a requirement of the facility.

In March, a least four facilities in the United Kingdom reported the occurrence of EHV-1 neurological disease.

Similar clinical signs were reported in the British cases, although fewer horses were neurologically affected at each facility.

2004 OUTBREAKS

Small outbreaks of neurological EHV-1 occurred across the United States in 2004, but no major outbreaks were reported for most of the year.

However, since December 2004, EHV-1 has created a major problem for the equine industry and the Standardbred horse seems to be the target.

In December 2004, two barns at Northville Downs Race Track, Northville, Michigan, were quarantined due to an outbreak of neurological EHV-1. Three affected standardbred race horses were euthanized.

After being closed for a period of time, the racetrack reopened in early March for live racing.

2005 Outbreaks

In early 2005, Standardbred race tracks in Pennsylvania and Nova Scotia (Canada) have been affected. In total, about a dozen horses have died or were euthanzied.

With each incidence, the racing facilities have acted responsibly by quarantining the stables while the outbreaks were diagnosed and the affected horses were treated.

In Michigan, the Michigan Department of Agriculture (MDA) has been involved in identification, monitoring, and quarantine of the affected horses.

CLINICAL SIGNS

Initially, horses may present with fevers up to 1050 F. Some horses will develop nasal discharge, depression, and loss of appetite.

Horses may also develop neurological signs, including toe-dragging, weakness, and incoordination of the hind end. The nerves of the head (cranial nerves) are often not affected. Other neurological signs that may occur include a weak, floppy tail, inability to defecate, and urinary incontinence.

Once innervation to the urinary bladder is affected, the horses cannot urinate freely and the bladder becomes greatly distended. After reaching the point of overfilling the bladder, they start to “dribble†or “squirt†urine. If these horses are not immediately treated by bladder catherization, permanent urinary incontinence may develop.

Some horses will progress to the point of recumbency. Once recumbent, a horse is extremely difficult to manage and is often euthanized due to treatment difficulties or for humane reasons.

The neurological form of EHV-1 must be differentiated from other diseases (such as rabies, EPM, EEE, WEE, VEE, and WNV). Equine herpesvirus affects only equids and does not pose a health risk to people or other animals.

TREATMENT

Vaccines are available for the prevention of respiratory disease and abortions related to EHV-1; however, no vaccine is currently available to prevent the neurological form of EHV-1. Some research even suggests that vaccination may predispose horses to the neurological form of EHV-1.

However, the majority of the horses affected in the UK were not vaccinated. Hence, there is controversy as to whether the vaccine predisposes horses to the neurological form of the disease.

The best form of prevention is to keep your horses at home, thus limiting horse-to-horse contact. If this is not possible, limiting horse travel is advised. Also, any horse returning to a facility or moving to a new facility should be isolated.

An isolation period of 30 days is advised as the herpesvirus may be shed in various secretions (tears, respiratory secretions, and abortive fluids, etc.) for at least 14 days.

In addition, stress may cause a horse (as in people) that has recovered to again begin shedding herpesvirus.

No specific treatment is available for EHV-1. Supportive therapy (such as IV fluids, bladder catheterization, etc.) and nursing care (keep horses quiet, minimize stress, etc.) are extremely important to an animal’s survival.

Antiinflammatory agents should be used in an effort to minimize damage to the spinal cord.

In the Ohio outbreak, acyclovoir, a human drug used in the treatment of herpes infections, was used. The efficacy of treating horses with acyclovoir is promising.

In horses that survive, recovery can take several months. In those horses that don’t progress to recumbency, a complete recovery can be expected, while horses that become recumbent and survive may continue with some degree of neurological deficit.

Although the neurological form of EHV-1 is uncommon, it is periodically seen in the horse population. For additional information regarding EHV-1, contact a veterinarian familiar with the prevention and treatment of equine herpesvirus.

Equine Extension Veterinarian

MSU College of Veterinary Medicine

(517) 353-9710

Thanks for the info Michelle.

I hadn't heard about it being close to us, I knew it was in other parts of the country. There was an article about it in the Vacaville Reporter this morning.

Interesting that in one of the articles it states that : ""Vaccines are available for the prevention of respiratory disease and abortions related to EHV-1; however, no vaccine is currently available to prevent the neurological form of EHV-1. Some research even suggests that vaccination may predispose horses to the neurological form of EHV-1. ""

Sue

according to my vet and what I have read and heard there is no vaccine that is labeled for the neurological form and while it is scary it is transmitted by either nose to nose or direct contract between infected horses and or there handlers.

More often then not usual precautions should really help prevent this, such as no nose to nose contact with strange horses, sharing feed or water buckets, touching other peoples horses directly and then going back to your own without washing hands ect.

Many vets seem to feel it is more common for your horses to colic, be in a trailer accident or get the more common form of Rhino or strangles then to get this version of the EHV-1 virus.

according to my vet and what I have read and heard there is no vaccine that is labeled for the neurological form and while it is scary it is transmitted by either nose to nose or direct contract between infected horses and or there handlers.

More often then not usual precautions should really help prevent this, such as no nose to nose contact with strange horses, sharing feed or water buckets, touching other peoples horses directly and then going back to your own without washing hands ect.

Many vets seem to feel it is more common for your horses to colic, be in a trailer accident or get the more common form of Rhino or strangles then to get this version of the EHV-1 virus.

Ditto to Lisa's post....... It is very common and even more common as show season starts hitting and horses are being transported at a higher rate.

Disinfecting show stalls, and keeping your horse away from other horses not in your show-string, and keeping your hands washed if you've touched other people's horses is highly advised.

To be honest, vaccines can only do so much.........just like our kids going back to school! It can be scarey!

MA

I posted a month or so ago when this started. I live in one of the quarantined counties in Virginia. One of the farms was in my town. I'm pretty sure the quarantine has been lifted as they are running point to point races again. I have friends who volunteered a quarantine on their farm just to be safe.

The hospital that this started in was one of the ones that I have used many times in the past. They did a great job of keeping in under control. The horse that was at their hospital from my county tested negative.

Kim

Have you talked to your vet about the use of "Rhinomune" to vaccinate(as opposed to the 'more usual' vaccines such as "Pneumabort K + 1b", either alone or in a combo shot? It *seems* like I recall reading something about how the "Rhinomune" being thought to be somewhat more effective? "Rhinomune" is a modified live virus vaccine: I remember that it used to not be recommended for pregnant mares--I notice that the advertising now states that it is OK for mares past two months along in their pregnancy(of course, I'd double check that time frame, and be sure of the complete manufacturer's product recommendations, before using, espl. if I had bred mares!)--whereas every other rhino vaccine I can think of having seen advertised is a killed virus vaccine....? I did read something about increasing concerns/problems w/ the neurological form of rhino; if it is spreading around the country, it would certainly be a cause of great concern, IMO, for those hauling horses to shows and such...for one thing, the efficacy of vaccination for EHV(and 'flu', for that matter) is apparently very short, with boosters recommended every three months(that I've seen)...and of course, NO vaccine is 100%, no matter what. Keeping any horse FULLY vaccinated is getting increasingly expensive, too--meaning that the likelihood of encountering horses that HAVEN'T been fully vaccinated gets higher...it's a 'catch-22', for sure. I can appreciate your concern, Michelle--and wish I had an answer to your original question....
Margo posted pretty much exactly what I was told this year. Our vet told us to vaccinate with Rhinomune also and to continue with boosters every three months. We did also give it to our one pregnant mare that is due in May. Yes it is expensive to keep your horses fully vaccinated but worth it in the end if in some way it prevents a sickness or disease.

I want to read up on what exactly is going on and am going to go back and take a closer look at what Michelle posted. I'm worried about it, but so far we still plan to show this year but will be taking a lot of extra precautions.

Hi Sue - All the stables in the affected region San Mateo are under quarantine, at least that was what I was told tonight. We're going to go to the schooling show at RanchHotel this Saturday, but just to volunteer, the horses are staying home.

The biggest concern seems to be that some of the cases have NOT had new horses on their properties in 6+ weeks, and many/most have been thoroughly vaccinated. They're highly suspecting it is being passed by handlers (on clothing/shoes, etc.).

No new horse had been introduced on the primary ranch for 6 weeks, and

the last horse to do so was from Pescadero. Dr. Magdesian at UC-Davis

felt that a fomite, such as clothing or shoes, could have been the

introduction method. He did not believe it was a spontaneous

mutation. Additionally, Drs. Madigan and Dr. Ferraro are planning a

site visit after obtain ranch owner approval both to study and to make

further recommendations to contain the outbreak.

That is what worries me, people wanting to pet your horse, other people that may/may not follow sanitary or safe pratices, etc. Also what about the farrier, vets or ?? not just at shows, but on my ranch.

We do alot of work with UCD, but the vets always treat all horses literally in the front yard or our driveway, as I don't know where they've been prior to coming to me (emergencies) and haven't quite got so Howard Hughes as to require them to step in bleach-water!

Kim, I would love to hear more how this was handled in Virginia. Most of the accurate reports are for 'vets only' online.

Michelle....I'll see you at the show this weekend..I am bringing 2..we've never met .....I'll be easily identifiable as the chubby middle-aged Fool fumbling around on the end of the lead of a equally chubby silver dapple yearling colt who will be probably screaming his head off and running in circles around me. Also will have a chubby 3 yr. old grey pinto colt...also probably screaming his head off....LOL

I figure, I'll protect my horses the best I can....but I can only do what I can do. We are careful at the shows, I carry those sanitizing wipes with us all the time. I don't pet other peoples horses.

Years and years ago, when I had the Quarter Horses, I vaccinated for everything, and still had horses come down with Infuenza...the high temp., deep lingering coughing Influenza. Never figured out where they got it from since we hadn't been anywhere for months....figured the Vets brought it in when they came to do shots...go figure.......

Hopefully this EHV1 will run its course, and be done.

Sue

Michelle, Here's an article I just pulled from the Wasington Post. This virus happened to a Virginia farm about 5 years ago as well. The horses were fine one minute and started going down the next. The farm owner wrote an article recently about what she went through. I will look for the article and post it as well.

Horse Owners Breathe Small Sigh of Relief

No New Virus Cases; Quarantines Cut Back

By Arianne Aryanpur

Washington Post Staff Writer

Sunday, March 11, 2007; Page LZ01

With no new reported cases of equine herpes since March 2, Virginia health officials said Friday that they were reasonably confident an outbreak of the highly contagious virus would pass by the end of the month.

Virginia's state veterinarian released five farms last week from quarantine -- two farms in Loudoun County, two in Fauquier County and one on the Quantico Marine Corps Base in Prince William County -- after their horses tested negative for the virus.

Buy This Photo

At Lynfield Farm in Hillsboro, groom Robert Chapman wears protective gear to help prevent the spread of equine herpes virus. The farm, below right, is still under quarantine. Below left, some of the products Lynfield Farm has been using. (Photos By Rich Lipski -- The Washington Post)

Blog

Living in Loco

The pulse of Loudoun County.

• Tick Time Brings Lyme to Loudoun

• The Scoop on Dunkin' Donuts in Broadlands

• First County Rec Center Rocks!

• Read more | RSS Feed

Save & Share Article What's This?

DiggGoogle

del.icio.usYahoo!

RedditFacebook

Five farms remain under quarantine, said Elaine Lidholm, a spokeswoman for the Virginia Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services. But she said it appeared likely that those farms will be released from the order by the end of March.

Six horses in the Washington area have tested positive for the equine virus EHV-1, which can cause severe neurological problems. The outbreak began last month and was traced to a horse that had been admitted to a Leesburg equine medical center for unrelated reasons. On Feb. 21, state officials began quarantining farms whose animals could have come into contact with infected horses at the center.

At Lynfield Farm in Hillsboro, which has one of the infected hoses and is still under quarantine, horse handlers are following strict bio-security practices. The virus spreads easily, not only through horse mucus and saliva but also from contamination on clothes and shoes, although the virus cannot be transmitted to humans.

Lynfield Farm owners Lynn and Lance Rice said they have purchased new pitchforks, muck tubs and disinfectant for their three barns. Employees are sprayed with Lysol and must wear full-body biohazard suits when handling any of the farm's 36 horses. Because a high fever is one of the symptoms of equine herpes, each horse's temperature is taken two or three times daily.

The infected horse, which stayed at the Marion duPont Scott Equine Medical Center in Leesburg, has been separated from the others. Although no other horses have exhibited symptoms, Lynfield Farm will continue daily bio-security practices until state health authorities lift the quarantine.

"Even if we're out of the woods, it's better to be safe than sorry," Lance Rice said.

The neurological symptoms of the virus include stumbling and weak legs. In severe cases, horses are unable to stand and must be euthanized. In the current outbreak, two of the six infected horses have been put down but for unrelated reasons, health officials said.

In addition to the state-imposed restrictions, horse and stable owners across the region have taken their own precautions since the first case of EHV-1 was announced. Several equine events have been canceled or postponed the past three weekends, including the Casanova Hunt, Rappahannock and Blue Ridge point-to-point steeplechase races. Those races are huge moneymakers -- organizers of the Casanova Hunt Point-to-Point estimated one-day losses of about $30,000.

But many in the horse community, heartened by a recent string of negative test results, were easing restrictions by the end of last week.

Organizers of the Warrenton Hunt Point-to-Point, for instance, said they intend to stick to plans to hold the event Saturday.

"If the Warrenton Hunt Point-to-Point goes on, we'll feel a lot more confident about upcoming events," said Renee Brohard, a spokeswoman for Oatlands in Leesburg, which is scheduled to host the Loudoun Hunt Point-to-Point on April 15.

Charlie Muldoon, director of operations at Morven Park, which voluntarily canceled a dressage show, horse clinic and competition for area high schools because of the outbreak, said the park would resume equine activities next weekend.

Fox hunting in Maryland and parts of southern Virginia is back after a self-imposed hiatus of more than two weeks, said Dennis Foster, executive director of the Masters of Foxhounds Association, based in Berryville. Foster said it was too soon to tell whether fox hunting would resume in Northern Virginia before the season ends this month. He said the decision would be left to individual hunt groups.

State veterinarian Richard Wilkes, who canceled all public horse sales and auctions from Feb. 28 to March 5, said last week that those restrictions would probably not be reinstated.

Here's the article. It's very long, but very informative.

Five Years After Outbreak of Equine Herpes Virus - 1

By Maureen Hanley

With recent news of outbreaks of the Equine Herpes Virus-1 (also known as Rhinopneumonitis or ‘Rhino") in Florida, Connecticut and California, I have been asked numerous times about my experience with the virus five years ago. People ask how I was able to cope, what I did, how we treated the horses, etc. My first response is that I’d rather forget that time altogether. After all, it was an extremely painful time for me and my farm. I’ve tried to bury the memories of that time and move ahead. But as the news of these new outbreaks reaches me, I realize that by sharing what happened here and how we managed to get through it may assist others.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

They say that what won’t kill you makes you stronger, and in my case, this is true. My memories are of human nature, the horse world, and the importance of sticking to your convictions in the face of ridicule from those in the community and my own barn. This became a lesson about being more aware of viruses or dangers that lurk anywhere. It became a lesson I needed to learn for the safety of my barn and the horses that stay and visit here.

So, with a heavy heart I write this reflection as someone who has walked through fire to come out wiser on the other side.

It was a lovely, lazy Sunday afternoon in April 2002. The horses grazed while the staff worked to ready the weekly feed of bran mash for all the horses. Everything was calm and serene…until suddenly there seemed to be panic coming from the top aisle of the barn. (Continued below)

One of our instructors, Judi, came running towards me saying that something was horribly wrong with her own horse, "Ivy." She noticed that Ivy seemed to be lethargic and not well at all. When she pulled her out of her stall, the mare staggered and lost control of her hind end, as if she was paralyzed! When the vet arrived his demeanor of calm and cool, became that of speechlessness after he examined Ivy. He said that he thought he knew what this was, but had never witnessed it first hand. Before he could confirm, he would need blood tests. Then, he turned to me and told me to isolate all of the horses. No horse was to have contact with anyone, and everyone should leave the farm immediately! (Continued below)

My heart sank as my panic level rose.

Cautiously I asked, "What is wrong?"

"It could be the Rhino Virus or EHV-1" he said.

"What do you mean? They are up to date on all shots!" I said

He then explained that no vaccine protected the animals from this strain.

Furthermore, this strain is not one that can be prevented and is highly contagious to other horses. Finally, with dread in his eyes, he said that if we didn’t take control very quickly, death was imminent for every horse on the property.

With so many questions and with little time, I ran to quickly get everyone out of the barn and off the premises.

Tears still well up in my eyes when I recall that dreadful day. No one knew, especially me, what drama would unfold or the life experiences I was about to learn. The crisis at the barn kept me from thinking about the pain I was suffering after losing my father so suddenly to a brain aneurysm a few weeks before. People had been so kind to me when I lost my father. This would quickly change. I was about to learn that in times of stress, there is good and bad in everyone. People who I thought were friends and allies became dangerous adversaries, only out for themselves. Others, who up until then I’d never given a second thought to, proved to be angels sent from heaven. (Continued below)

As I ran to get everyone out of the barn, another instructor approached me concerned that "Rocky" was not right behind. It seemed that he was not able to keep his balance on the way back to his stall after being groomed. Rocky and Ivy had never met but I knew instinctively what was happening to the gelding. I quickly grabbed him and brought him to the top aisle, which was rapidly becoming a hospital ward.

Instructed by the vet to take everyone’s temperatures, two sick horses suddenly became over 20 horses with a fever and I knew that soon paralysis would also be their fate.

For the better part of 6 weeks, there was a lot of drama and sadness. We received phone calls from the press. Channel 7, Channel 5 and other media outlets had all gotten anonymous calls that we were killing horses. We decided to have a meeting, open to all; neighbors, press, boarders, and grant full disclosure on what was happening. (Continued below)

In the mean time, Ivy was put down. Rocky, who for awhile seemed to be doing ok, got worse. We made a stall inside a stall so that he could remain standing and get him through the week. What struck us as being very strange was that he’d eat happily and didn’t seem to care that he had no use of his hind end. After a few days, we realized Rocky had to be put down. When we tried to move him out of the stall he fell on one of our staff, breaking his leg instantly. Screaming in pain, Pedro was our first concern. The ambulance came to take him away, and Rocky was put down right after that. The most difficult part was trying to get Rocky’s dead body onto a trailer to be taken for an autopsy, especially because the tractor operator was on his way to the hospital. It was up to me to jump on the tractor and a couple of us managed to get him on the trailer.

Throughout the virus ordeal, we dealt with angry boarders, some of whom blamed us for the virus as if we’d intentionally started the epidemic. They screamed at us through stall windows as we medicated their horses, threatening what they would do if their horse didn’t survive. But I stuck by my convictions and let no one in the barns, except the veterinarian and two staff members.

One staff member, unable to handle the stress, threw her keys at me and walked out. However, Judi DeMichele, who had lost her own horse, was right there to assist with medications. Lauren Griffith, another instructor, whose only pay was for lessons given, was there every day without question. These two people, whose only income from this barn was from lessons (lessons that were now canceled for the foreseeable future), knew that the farm would be financially devastated and it would be difficult to pay them right away. They didn’t care. Their only concern was for the well being of the horses and the overall farm. I will never forget their kindness in the face of such a tragedy.

Our goal was to make sure that the horses with fevers did not get to the paralysis stage. This was a difficult task especially with limited staff. After a few days, we started to settle into the routine of medicating 20 + horses. This consisted of:

Taking the horses’ temperatures 2 or 3 times daily.

Medications administered every 4 hours around the clock: 7am, 11am, 3pm, 7pm, 11pm, 3am, 7am, everyday.

Walking in and out of bleach baths posted at every door to prevent any spread of the virus.

Frequent vet visits and conversations about certain horses, medications, etc.

Taking calls from boarders, students and people from the community, a few who asked if we were getting enough food and sleep. One kind boarder brought us a casserole because she knew of our insane schedule.

I took night duty and the others helped during the day so I could get a few winks to prepare for the cycle to begin again. But sleep was at a premium for all of us. (Continued below)

Then, I was made aware that something was wrong with my pony, Sugar. Sugar was one of my father’s favorites. Sugar, now 22 years old, had come to us when she was 3 weeks old with her mother Candy. Now she was banging her head against the wall and falling all over the stall. Her eyes frantically moved back and forth and up and down. The vet said that the virus seemed to affect her in the brain. We would have to put her down in the morning.

Questions raced through my mind. How could this be? Were the medications we were giving not working? Will this be the fate of the others?

It was at this point that I almost gave up. After Sugar’s diagnosis, I almost had a break down. I stared at the wall for over an hour and my sisters and mother, worried about my mental state, stayed with me that night. My sister Doreen touched my heart when, tears rolling down her face, she said, "Maur, its ok. Dad may want Sugar with him in heaven, and he might need some company up there. We have to let her go." (Continued below)

The next morning brought a miracle. When the vet arrived to put Sugar down, he walked into her stall and found the pony happily eating hay. Only her eyes were still moving very quickly back and forth. He said, "This is amazing! This is a tough pony!" Tough is right. Sugar’s eyes eventually stopped moving and she made a full recovery.

After six harrowing weeks, the storm was finally over. In the end we lost three horses that dreadful spring. The rest of the horses never got past a fever because of our around-the-clock care. While some in my own horse community disagreed with our tactics, we did receive praise from many veterinarians around the country for the actions we took to keep the virus from spreading.

Today, when people board here and come to our horse shows, some notice that I am very strict about quarantine. Others don’t even notice the things we do behind the scenes to make this farm one of the safest barns to come to. As hard as these experiences were to live through, it is my hope that others might learn from them. It is painful, but I can look back and know that as devastating as the virus was, we rose above. It didn’t beat us.

My deepest thanks to Judi DeMichele, Lauren Griffith, Karen Cunningham, Dr. Norris Adams, and of course all at Middleburg Equine Clinic! Without the help of these dedicated people, this may have been a much more tragic tale.

Copyright © 2006 Virginia Horse Journal. All rights reserved.

Home : Articles : Newsworthy : Directory & Buyer's Guide : Classifieds : Stallions Online : Boarding & Training : Calendar : Contact Us

Journal Subscriptions : Advertising & Rates : Links & Resources

Website Design by NetMediaOne

Latest posts

Back