Easter Bunny Hates Me

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iowa

Reaction score
I guess the Easter bunny is very angry with me for some reason. First of all on Saturday night about 9:00 the mare I was watching started foaling. The foal had its head down, but I managed to get it before the vet arrived. But it is a dwarf and has very lax tendons although it can stand and nurse. The vet put some wrapping on it to try to stiffen them. Still debating on whether to have it put down or not. I never in 18 years had a dwarf and certainly didn't try for one, so what do I do now? (I know not to breed those two together again and I do have a new stallion, so will not use the old one on any more mares if I decide to breed for 2012)

Then Sunday afternoon a mare about 9 months along, started aborting. Of course it was in the wrong position, so the vet had to come to get it. It was a black and white stud colt with its head back and neck twisted backward, so took some doing on the vet's part to get it. Mare seems alright though.

I don't think I am even going to raise any more foals, although I did get two healthy ones last week-end.

Last edited by a moderator:
Iowa, please know that you're not alone in your sorrow and frustration - many of us have been in your shoes with situations similar to the one you're facing and we understand. Hang in there!

We lost two foals this year, too - both from mares we purchased already pregnant. One foal was full term but stillborn, the other was 6 weeks premature with several dwarf characteristics. Both cases were sad and difficult to consider, especially for the mares who visibly missed their babies for quite a while.

We all know going into this kind of business / hobby that even when you watch them like a hawk and give them the best possible care, their rate of successful births is lower than that of their larger equine cousins. It doesn't make it any easier knowing this, but unfortunately it's something we all have to deal with at some time or another.

I hope things go better for you from here on out!

I guess the Easter bunny is very angry with me for some reason. First of all on Saturday night about 9:00 the mare I was watching started foaling. The foal had its head down, but I managed to get it before the vet arrived. But it is a dwarf and has very lax tendons although it can stand and nurse. The vet put some wrapping on it to try to stiffen them. Still debating on whether to have it put down or not. I never in 18 years had a dwarf and certainly didn't try for one, so what do I do now? (I know not to breed those two together again and I do have a new stallion, so will not use the old one on any more mares if I decide to breed for 2012)

Then Sunday afternoon a mare about 9 months along, started aborting. Of course it was in the wrong position, so the vet had to come to get it. It was a black and white stud colt with its head back and neck twisted backward, so took some doing on the vet's part to get it. Mare seems alright though.

I don't think I am even going to raise any more foals, although I did get two healthy ones last week-end.
I'm so sorry
default_sad.png
Breeding can be very difficult at times. We have had a lot of heart breaks as well.

We have only had one dwarf in all our years of breeding. He lived a happy life visiting children's hospitals. He had twisted front legs but after being splinted he could run and play. He was a happy little guy. Please give yours a chance to live.

I'm so sorry for your lose, but don't give up. Back about 12 years ago my husbands favorite mare foaled a perfect blue eyed filly that was still born. The following year she foaled a dwarf that by the way we still have. We never used that cross again and gelded and sold the stallion. She has given us nothing put lovely foals since and the dwarf although she had issues at birth and wouldn't have survived if not for my vet and myself feeding and caring for her the first few days is such a little joy. she has arthritis, but so do I, and needs special care but don't give up on your dwarf everything deserves to at least have a chance if they show the will to survive. You will know if it is in pain or can't take life anymore, enjoy the time you have together. God Bless.

I hope you don't put the foal down. I would suggest that you email Janell Jenson for her Magic Shoes.

Is it possible if you would emal pictures of your poor little angel?

I'm so sorry about your babies

-Julia

I am very sorry for your lose, I lost a foal last year and it is heart breaking. Please remember that all babies are a blessing from God, If you give your new foal a chance I am sure he will bring you lots of joy.

Hugs Renee

So sorry about your two foals...I know how hard it is from personal experience of losing my favorite mare and her unborn foal to a twisted uterus last year, two stillborn colts in 2009 and a colt to head trauma this year
default_bye-sad.gif
...Breeding horses isn't always a happy thing but the joys overweigh the sadness (IMO of course). I hope things improve for you from here on out
default_yes.gif

I am so sorry to hear of your bad experiences this weekend. I know first hand how hard it can be to breed these little ones, as it took us three years before we got a live foal. I don't blame anyone for giving up but you don't have to decide that right now. You might want to consider contacting John Eberth about your dwarf.

I'm so sorry you had to go through so much this weekend. I agree with the others in giving the best chance of life to your dwarf foal, it may be a great experience in the long run. I really hope you have better luck in the future. We too lost two foals (2007 & 2009) before we had our first foal (to live longer than a week ) last year. As sad as it was to lose two beautiful foals the one who is here, happy and healthy, made every tear we cried completely worth it. God bless.

So sorry, what a tough weekend.
default_no.gif
Depending on how extreme the dwarfism is and the quality of life the foal will have would have a lot to do with my decision if it were mine. Go with your heart- perhaps your vet can help with this and what is to come for the youngster. Hugs to you. Breeding Minis is not for the faint of heart.

So sorry to hear of your troubles, when it rains it pours some times! I know you have some other nice foals though, rejoice in those! Not always easy breeding these lil ones! Lavonne

Latest posts

Back