East Acres Miniatures

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Manyspots

Reaction score
I hope this is ok to post here but I know many of you far and wide own horses that have the East Acres name/breeding. Max Nebergall owned this line of horses and I am sorry to report that Max age 90 years passed away this week with services today. Max lived in Tipton, Iowa. He loved overo horses and seemed especially fond of the red roans also. Bald face horses were a delight to him. Miniature breeders yet today have horses in their herds carrying East Acres names. He was widely known as quite a horse trader and I thought I would try to reach some of you that might like to know. He was a member of the Iowa Miniature Horse Club for many years. Lavonne

How sad. My thoughts and prayers are with his family. It has been several years since I spoke with him last. He was the breeder of East Acres Golden Jubilee.... one of th enicest horses on the farm. Jubilee passed a few years ago now but we carry him on in several of his daughters! Max will forever live in the lives of us mini breeders and our horses!

What a great loss to all who love him.
default_sad.png
My thoughts go out to his family & friends.

I'd heard of East Acres all the time I've been in minis and always admired the horses that came from those lines. I'm sorry to hear the mini horse world has lost Mr. Nebergall.

Max was one of the WORST people to deal with! He wanted his price and that was that!

I first met Max as a boy growing up on our ranch in Pukwana SD. Max came to buy, then POA's. And through the years my family and his sold/traded horses back and forth. I am for-ever greatful for Max purchasing a black POA Filly named BLACK SWAN-S. Max started her show career that made her a WORLD MULTI. Champion. Many families used her and she was inducted into the POA Hall of Fame.

Max and I became good friends over the years. Yes, he liked his sorrel/bald face and an overo always caught his attention.

I loved visiting and having Max show me his horses.

Max could be a SOB! He liked things his way. And I admire him for that!

Max loved horses, loved people with horses and people intested in horses. Him and I would talk for hours on the phone and we always said if we were not so far apart in distance, we would do everything there was to do.

The last time I saw Max, I broke him out of his retirement home. I pulled into 'joint' with a 4-door pick-up and a 20 foot gooseneck. They said he had been dressed and waiting in the lobby for over an hour. I WAS THERE AT 7:00 a.m.

I asked if I needed to tell anyone you were going with me or sign him out. I believe his exact words were "To heck with them!"

Over the years Max sold me horses on credit, traveled to a few sales with me.

One time he called and needed someone to go along to pick up an overo stud he had sold years ago and bought back. He asked if I wanted to go to as there was a sale. So I drove 10 hours to get to Max just to find out the sale was in IL and HOURS away! When I questioned Max why he didnt tell me the sale was so far he just smiled and said, you need to get out more!

Max chased a dream of the producing the perfect horse! So say he did!

Max was an old cuss, times thought of his horses more than his family, liked to be right, rather you pay in cash and one of a kind.

He was one of my best friends and an end of an era.

My best regards to the family.

Lonnie Sharping, Pukwana South Dakota

What a nice tribute. It is nice to know more about the man.

Our sympathy to his friends and family. He sounds like a great character
default_smile.png

My thoughts are with them as well - It is always sad to hear of the passing of someone that was such a big part of our industry...

sorry to hear about Max....brought back some memories from the POA world many, many years ago.

Nice tribute Lonnie. . . I'm sure you have some great stories beyond what you wrote. . .

I thought East Acres sounded familiar, and Golden Jubilee even more familiar, and sure enough, grandsire of a little guy I bought from you back in early '98 as an 8-month old. A little guy by the name of Z-Man. I no longer own him but he left my place as HOF and I have plenty of his stock on the farm. Great and great, great grand daughters and sons of East Acres Golden Jubilee.

Another one of the foundational breeders . . . gone but not forgotten.

Rest in Peace

Yes, we knew Max, too. Horse trader deluxe....but he loved his horses. Max made it to all the horse sales around - mostly to get a bargain but also to chat with everyone there. His daughter told me he put on about 70,000 miles a year on his truck just traveling to sales and horse farms. We spoke to his grandson a couple of months ago. They just had his house sale and sold mini supplies that were piled clear to his basement ceiling - harness after harness and every supply in between. They made a mistake and didn't tell any of us mini people about it! He did know horses, didn't care much about pedigrees though he said the horse standing in front of him had to be good quality. Paperwork was often difficult for him to keep up but he tried or got help from those that understood it better. We live just 30 minutes from his place and he would just appear at our doorstep about once a month - to visit about horses, hay prices or neighborhood gossip. Rest in peace, Max ~

Latest posts

Back