Dwarf pricing

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There are multiple forms and therefore multiple genes will have to be located (if they haven't already).

I am not sure what you mean by the 'dwarf' decsendents of large horses to create a miniature breed? Could you elaborate?

All genes take some time to locate and there are different genes for different dwarf types. No, it's not simple. I have helped to isolate genes in the lab and with those we knew where they were and it was a complex process. John and others working with him had to find them so it has taken a long time.

I think there is more research than you think
default_smile.png

Yes, dominant and recessive genes function the same way in all species. There are different types of dwarf humans as well and I believe there are types that are not recessive so are different than dwarfism in our minis which would answer your question.

Sorry, I put "dwarf" in quotations, as it was a little late and I couldnt think of a better word... just meaning taking the smallest horses and breeding them together to get smaller horses. Believe me, I hope that you are right and it is as easy as finding dwarf genes and a simple test to call a mini a carrier or not, it just doesnt seem to me that it will be that easy.

When there are tests, I will have no problem with people breeding their carriers as long as they test and are responsible. As of right now, with the scientific information that has been given to the public, I have formed my opinions that I have expressed previously.
The problem I have with that is even though you know your horse is a carrier, should you breed it as the resulting foal will have a 50% chance of receiving the recessive dwarf gene. Then you will have to have the foal tested and if it is a carrier, will it be sold telling the prospective owners it is a carrier. Ideally, that would be the case. In reality, will people do it? On this forum, we probably have responsible breeders for the most part. However, in the rest of the population, most people will not go to the expense of doing this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back