How many have stopped breeding?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Little Wolf Ranch

Reaction score
After giving it much thought I've decided to change directions with my farm to just showing and training. Here lately its been astonishing at how far people will go to try to low ball a breeder or trainer for the asking price of their horses. Not to mention all of the nice horses with training and experience that are just not selling. Its hard enough to be a breeder and trainer in this economy much less having to compete with selling to the general public who see Farmer Joe selling his backyard unregistered stock for $150 to $350 a piece. I was even skimming through craigslist and in my area alone I saw ad after ad of poor quality and neglected minis, some registered and some not.

I was talking to my farrier and he even showed me pictures of his clients horses who believe that minis only need to be trimmed once or twice a year and its amazing these horses can even walk. One mini he showed me had to be put down because he was in such pain he wouldn't even stand up to get food, water or to get out of the bad weather and into a shelter, and of course the people that had him had no way to keep him separated from the others. It really makes me wonder what happens to the minis who get sold and you never hear about them again.

I guess I have come to the realization that I just can't stand the "not knowing" aspect of breeding and selling. I would much rather breed a keeper foal for myself here and there rather than stress about where they end up and how they are doing.

I have already talked to the hubby about it and I believe we will be gelding our one and only stallion, selling a few mares to approved homes once they foal in the spring and focusing on showing and training for us and others.

How many others have decided not to breed for one reason or another? It just seems to me that there are too many minis needing homes to be adding to the population. Even if my only contribution is 5 foals a year, times that number by myself and 99 other breeders you end up with 500 foals needing to be placed somewhere.

Who knows I may end up wanting to breed later on in a few years but I think this is the direction I want to go right now and just have fun with the ones I have.

We stopped breeding, at least for now. We LOVE what we are producing and have shown they can compete with the best of the best, but our biggest problem is we can't part with them. We did sell one of our foals this year to the best home, and it happens to be right here in town. So I agree with everything you say. We are very happy to keep the foals we have now and are getting so much pleasure from the 4-H Club we started with our minis. ALL of our former broodmares are being used for project animals this year. The 4-Hers in CT can't work with stallions, but one of the members Grandfathers gives him plenty of attention so it all works out. We will do some showing, especially as more foals reach the age they can do performance, and of course, with the 4-Hers.

And I am glad you "did the math" because even with our horrendous luck with breeding, half of our current herd is made up of OTM foals: Rusty, Clyde, Luna, Jake, Bunny, and Taffy. Herd size can build up very quickly when you have live foals.

I am on hiatus, being happy with what I have and not wanting any more horses. Noodling a change in direction that could take me to larger driving horses, but we'll see.

I stopped breeding completely. My life has changed drastically over the past few years in a negative way and bringing more horses into the world for me to be responsible for is out of the question.

I don't feel the economy is the culprit for the state of the horse industry. i blame the breeders who have been over breeding 50-200+ horses a year. I call them the "Greeders" not the breeders. There is absolutely no reason for breeding those numbers then or now. Face it:99.0% of these little horses are being bred to make more. The lucky few will be shown for a year or two and then go right to the breeding shed. The rest......well use your imagination because I know what happens to them.

I personally haven't bred my 2 mares last year, and may not breed this spring. Misty won't be bred again, she foundered and I don't feel it's fair to her. I look at Fancy and debate, found a stallion I like but won't have the money for a stud fee, so maybe I'll breed her to one of ours, maybe not. *shrugs* I detest foaling season anyway, too much worry, not enough sleep! Jane did breed her mares last year, so at least I'll get a baby fix in the spring!

If you are on Facebook and see the numbers of minis posted for sale each day it is mind boggling not to mention offers for stud service and more foals coming in 2014. There are not enough homes and it seems as though mares especially are getting pushed from one home to the other, having a foal or two at that farm and then moving again.

Very sad for the horses who bear the brunt of our foolishness.

I haven't had a foal crop since 2010, I did foal out one mare this year, but, only bred her because I offered her for sale and the the person running the sale wanted bred mares, then I no-saled her because prices were so low. I also stopped because of the same reasons as most of you, but, mostly because of the financial burden. I really don't have the proper business mindset to be a breeder, nor do I understand some of the mindsets of those that do breed for profit. In order for me to continue to breed horses I would need to hit the lottery, vet bills are crazy high, not to mention all the other extras that go with caring for brood mares. Plus I'm a firm believer in only breeding good horses that have been shown, have good show records, and pedigrees, plus good conformation. I also believe mares should not be allowed to foal unattended, so if I need to sleep that means another expense to pay someone to watch the monitors. Sales here on the east coast are non-exsistant unless you want to give your horses away. I don't understand why when I offered a show mare for sale that had been shown by ametuers and youth and won everything was frowned upon because she was six years old and never been bred. It was as if a sin had been committed, I was told she should have been bred the first time at age three! sorry, but to me that was outragious. We spent thousands showing this mare and she was always in the ribbons and won many championships, I realize it would have been great if we could have gone to Worlds with her but had spent all our money on other horses sent to the trainers. So any way, no more foals for me. I'm now too old to keep up, and way too broke. Plus my alittle bit of my heart leaves with each horse.

Well, maybe should not say on your topic if you wish can remove it .. let me know?
but sorry have cut back to one mare, one stallion and 2 geldings and been ultra sound in foal..
Cannot stop breeding completely, we just love the precious little foals that stand and walk and see within minutes of

their new born life.. and yes heart break and expenses are not for everyone..

We are not getting any younger but do not want to

give up at least one foal a year for us to enjoy.. and no do not want to buy anymore..
We have shown but would not trade the birthing and new life to showing.. been there and not fun just does not do it for us..
We are getting our grand daughter into showing but when she is not having fun we are stopping...
We have been blessed to have sold our foals at decent prices.
But yes the more minis cannot see having the time to enjoy, socialize them or give them what they need..

I think that part of the problem is how wonderful foals are and once you've had them it's really hard not to have foals. They are amazing and worth every sleepless minute and expense. And maybe it depends on the area of the world you are in but in most places you can't give them away unless they are some kind of unique color (without any thought to conformation). And show records don't mean much trying to sell either. I personally love showing and having my horses out and about with a trainer and looking forward to showing again in 2014 but I have only one foal due and it's staying put with me.

I stopped breeding this past spring when we had a terrible failing experience almost looking my mare in the process. We sold the stallion after we fielded him. Then we went to an auction looking to add a couple minis in similar color to our driving string. Well we bought 2 sisters with goals on their sides. At the time of purchase we didn't know that they were bred back for this spring. I guess we will foal these mares out and hope for the best.

I breed for myself on occasion, but have never produced a foal crop (more than one a year), and have never bred every year. I do not believe we would have this supply problem if we would moderate. Why breed every mare every year? What do I think I can do reasonably? Cut that in half. I could be a great this-or-that, but you learn to extend yourself to your current capabilities, and let others have their glory. I enjoy my small herd richly. It will continue over time if I don't overextend myself. If you keep it small and have a foal you may not sell, it isn't a big deal. Prices? They have plummeted, and that is part economy part supply. If minis were less common, the prices may increase.

I don't mind if a horse sells to a 4-h or therapy home cheaply. They will be appreciated and loved (hopefully). Prices have gone way down and I either need to accept it or quit minis. But I love my minis soooooo much! You never make money on horses unless you start out with money and are a marketing genius. Best wishes to those that do, but in my experience it isn't the norm.

(Our last foal was in '11.)

Last edited by a moderator:
We haven't had a foal since 2011 and we still have him. We are hoping to find him a home, but are in a position to keep him till we find the right home for him. We have a bunch of horses--45--right now and many of them are mares. About a third are geldings as we don't sell many (if any) intact males. We may breed a couple next spring, but will be for specific offspring and will keep to show ourselves. Nothing bugs me more than seeing an ad saying "must sell to make room for this year's foals" That makes me want to go thru the computer and shake them and ask them where their brains are at.

We gave up breeding several years ago. I cried every time we sold a horse and has been said, I also lost a little part of me as they went to their new owners. I have had a couple of 'great horse people' purchase a horse from us and find out later they aren't that great! Got 1 back, but couldn't get the other (LONG story). We have 18 minis that we probably will keep as most of them are ones that we foaled. I felt like I could find that 'perfect' family or person for my horses, and as true as that sometimes may be, things can change and that person must get rid of the mini. You really never know for sure where your minis end up. Just couldn't take that chance any more.

I also firmly believe there are way too many people breeding horses. Period.

Pam

My last foal was born 6 springs ago and my last stallion has been a gelding for 2. I loved the babies but hated the selling and the worry after. There are a lot of really great people out there but it seemed like every crazy, want it for free, don't need to spend the money to care for it properly, nut was responding to my ads. I am so much happier just enjoying the six we have now and don't have to sell any one anymore or justify why they should stay.

We have a very small herd only 2 stallions and 6 mares. and have a few foals a year which we have been fortunate enough to

be able to sell to very good homes. we have possibly 5 mares bred for 2014 which is alot for us but we are looking forward

to the 2014 season. And looking forward to an outstanding foal crop.

We have cut some expenses the past couple years one of which is vet checking mares to see if they are in foal

we just wait and see now....frustrating but alot more reasonable to give shots to an open mare than it is to vet check anymore

So we are not giving up on breeding .....our horses are producing the kind of foals we have worked towards for years I will keep the faith

I so want a horse from Toni Reeces auction but I will behaive myself I think

We had two foals in 2005, 2007, and 2009. Then stopped. Five fillies and one colt were born here. Two are still here--daughters of one of my mares. They will never be bred. The mares are retired at a young age. One filly sold at two weeks of age--the others when they were 3 or 4; I didn't need to sell and I wanted to find the perfect owner. Foaling out is exhausting, and I too, find it hard on the heart to sell. It's a tremendous responsibility to find owners who will care for the horses as I do. My horses were so well socialized, but there are too many horses out there in a need-rescuing situation to keep breeding. I miss playing--working with foals, for sure. But if I want another foal, I'll buy one.

Quit breeding, downsized my herd, gelded my buck echo son, kept a companion for him and recycled the money into a gypsy vanner. I had a free breeding to the stud of my choice that came with my gypsy mare, but am so done with the breeding aspect, I decided just to buy a gypsy vanner In utero and allow someone else to deal with the breeding, foaling, and weaning. Even if 99% of the homes/sales are excellent, it only takes one to make you say enough........

I quit breeding two years ago for most of the above mentioned reasons. I just worry too much about what will happen to them after they leave.

I do not breed the minis at this time either. I just have boys, no mares. There are so many out there that are in need of good homes now. I think after all the economy problems that a lot of people can know longer afford to keep horses, even the little ones
default_sad.png
Hopefully things will get better.

I am just getting into breeding.

That being said though, do I plan on having a mega farm of 15 mares with 10 or so new foals every year? HECK no! I purchased my stud about 2 years ago, I bred one mare last year for a close friend, and re-bred her this year so he can (in theory) get a match for last years awesome little filly! They will have a forever home with him, and he knows already that if he ever wants to sell, both the mare and the filly, and maybe this foal in utero have a home with me.

I plan to get one mare, maybe 2 or 3 at the absolute most, mostly because my stud won't drive. Get a good show record on them, and breed me 2 or 3 of my "dream" show horses. Could I go buy one? No. Im DONE with other people's problems. SO done. Until weaning is PLENTY of time for someone else to create problems. I want my own genetics trained my own way, without the crap that comes with purchasing horses.

Is it worth it to keep my stud whole for maybe 5 or 6 more foals in the next 20 years? To some people, no, but they don't feed him, house him, etc, so their opinion doesn't count. I can responsibly and safely keep a stud. His hormones don't cause a problem. If they do become a problem, he will be gelded no doubt.

Will I sell some? Who knows. Not my stud for sure. Will the purpose of breeding be solely for sale horses though? NO. Will I breed a mare or two for family friends in a 'custom foal' kind of way? Maybe. Who knows. My 15 year old cousin has been begging for a mini (they're a horse family too). If she's still interested by the time i get this "off the ground," I might breed a mare in intentions of the foal being hers. Pretty much no breeding will happen with no clear plan for offspring, and i don't consider 'sell and make $' a clear plan.

The attitude of a lot of breeders bugs me. Its a business. I get that. I have NO issue with horses being 'just horses' to some people. If they are healthy, happy, and you can make money off them responsibly, more power to you. I won't criticize that they don't pour over every animal for hours on end. But some breeders need to realize their plan isn't going to work out. It IS possible to make money with animals, even horses. Horses alone contribute 4 billion to the NYS economy. My whole income comes from cattle. I don't know a life where my paycheck isn't dependent on animals. However, just like any business, it takes a lot of skill to do so. Can anyone do it? No. Can some do it? yes.

Latest posts

Back