dunskin and silver buckskin

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

supaspot

Reaction score
would you all share pics of your dunskins and silver buckskins , unclipped if possible , I would really like to see foals colours .. I would like to learn to recognise them as babies

Last edited by a moderator:
This mare is all three, she is a silver dunskin, lab tested homozygous black too.

EJH Sparkling Bucks, our favorite Buckeroo grandaughter

newwwwfpiccccuttee055.jpg

Her 2011 filly, silver buckskin

HMM Buck O Perfection (excuse the furry picture)

perfection.JPG

Another of our silver buckskin Buckeroo grandaughters,

Todwils Happy Daze

Holly1.jpg

Third silver buckskin Buckeroo grandaughter,

HMM Buckeroos Lady Sensation (pictured at a week old and as a yearling)

Sensationhead.jpg

Sensation4.JPG

Classic buckskin with dun, WFM's Big City Cover Girl (a/k/a "Cover Girl")... one of my hardcore favorites:

Double%20and%20Cover%20Girl%20DSC06910.jpg

Cover-Girl--020709--018.jpg

Cover_Girl---070109---1.jpg
269012_10150233995498155_522573154_7356172_5156965_n.jpg

Cover Girl has a bold dorsal down her back. Her dam is sired by a buckskin pinto who I think carries dun, but his dun pinto markings are strategically placed to make it so very hard to tell! CG has a bold dorsal and so do her silblings (who are buckskin and perlino). I do think my perlino pinto mare, Double, carries dun but with the pinto markings upon her head only, visually, it is so very hard to tell!

I have one silver buckskin, although not tested we think he is a silver smokey brown (cream and silver on seal brown), instead of classic silver buckskin.

You'll have to excuse the odd angle, its hard to take decent pics by yourself.

Che` - july 19, 2008 - AMHR reg pic - left 2.jpg

I didn't have him as a foal, so no baby pics, but the foal pic on his registration papers he looked more or less gray (which is what he was registered as).

thankyou all so much for posting your fabulous babies , they really are beauties
yes.gif
but theyre all so different Im none the wiser and still couldnt tell a silver buckskin from a dunskin but it will give me reason to keep looking at them

This mare is a silver bay dun:

As a foal:

tana - pic for color.jpg

As an Adult:

Tana - July 22, 2010 - standing.jpg

She tested: EE, Aa, no cream, I didn't test silver (her size is silver appy and her dam buckskin dun).

I have pics somewhere that show her dorsal and leg bars, they are not very dark, and I'm thinking its the silver lightening her dun markings.

[We had initially registered her as palomino, but after posting pics and more, many said she was silver bay, so I had her tested, and she is.]

there are a lot of different shades .. I guess thats because there are different shades of bay
wacko.gif

Ooh la la
wub.gif
She's beautiful!!
Thank you
default_cheekkiss.gif

Remember dun skin vs. silver buckskin... you can have a buckskin with dun factor, a silver buckskin with dun factor. It's not necessarily two DIFFERENT colors but whether or not the horse carries dun in addition to the base color. Look for the dun factor. Dorsal, shoulder bars, leg stripes, etc. That is how you tell if the horse is dun, and again, that dun is "on top of" whatever other color the horse happens to be
default_yes.gif

Im not exactly sure WHAT color hawk is i was told when we got him silver buckskin BUT then hes changed ALOT so were thinking champagne???

This was him right after he was shaved this spring

042916001.jpg

camerapicts108.jpg

camerapicts109.jpg

new191.jpg

He is certainly glowing with good health now compared to the first picture. I can't tell for certain but from what I can see in the pictures he is missing some of the markers of champagne. His eye color doesn't look like champagne and his skin lacks the right pigmentation (again, not positive since I can't see well in the pictures) Did he have a champagne parent?

I just want to point out that my mares above, Flirt in the front and Maddie in the back, Flirt does NOT carry dun and Maddie DOES carry dun. So one is silver buckskin, the other is silver buckskin dun. Can't tell from this picture as their colors are nearly identical but when you look close at Maddie, you see her dorsal, faint shoulder bars, faint leg stripes... So remember when it comes to DUN, it can be in addition to any base color and you look for DUN FACTOR not body or mane / tail color as your confirmation.

reign HE has one brown eye one blue eye and the very first picture was from THIS spring right after he had gooten shaved so he looks bad lol the others are older

Heres a resent pic of him He has one Dapple chestnut and a palomino parent

SAM_0702.jpg

I want to add a picture of a BAY dun pony we own. He really demostrates dun factor galore. Bold dorsal, leg stripes, shoulder bars, cobwebbing, darker head, ears edged...

SUNDANCE%20--%20070107.jpg

I want to add a picture of a BAY dun pony we own. He really demostrates dun factor galore. Bold dorsal, leg stripes, shoulder bars, cobwebbing, darker head, ears edged...

SUNDANCE%20--%20070107.jpg
Very nice. who is this? I don't recogonize him.

Hawks eye-your boy is silver buckskin, no champagne. His sire must have actually been a silver bay because he had to receive the black gene from him. Beautiful horses everyone!

Latest posts

Back