dunskin and silver buckskin

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very nice. who is this? I don't recogonize him.
That's Sundance. He's about 11hh. We got him in 1999 as a foal to keep our first mini, Eclipse, company. No one told me how we would soon want more minis and Eclise would have plenty of company
default_smile.png

That's Sundance. He's about 11hh. We got him in 1999 as a foal to keep our first mini, Eclipse, company. No one told me how we would soon want more minis and Eclise would have plenty of company
default_smile.png
He's a handsome boy. And, yes, he does have lots of company.
default_wink.png

I've got a few pictures of my silver buckskin Turbo as a baby. Here he is newly born and still wet, presumably making his mane look darker.

turbofoal.jpg

Half-clipped as a weanling- Turbo clips out a light silvery white and note the yellow tips to his mane and tail hair:

turbo6.jpg

Here's him clipped as a yearling stallion. Note the dark ashy/silver lower legs and the white over- and under-layers to his mane.

lftside030309-2.jpg

And then as a three year old, learning to drive. I've clipped off the white layer of his mane for halter showing but his tail has darkened naturally and his legs turn a rich dark chocolate once the hair grows out a bit.

IMG_4322.jpg

He looks closer to buckskin in the winter as he gets more yellow tones in his coat, but once you clip him he's practically white in the spring.

Leia

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, this is almost an impossible question to ask. A silver buckskin, dunskin and buckskin can all look exactly the same as a foal. So there really wouldn't be an exact science to "recognizing" one as a foal. You would be best to know the genetics of the parents and what they may possibly throw or when in doubt, you test. A silver buckskin can be born with an all white tail or mostly white tail as can a buckskin or a dunskin. They can all be born with dorsals and leg bars...clipping might help to determine what a dorsal looks like under the baby fuzz but then, you still run into the problem if it is a real dorsal or countershaded dorsal. The number one rule to color genetics is they are never exact and there is always exception. There are some factors that tend to stay PRETTY true but not always. I have seen buckskins, genetically tested to NOT carry a dun gene have VERY good dun factor type marks. I have a positive tested dunskin MFT filly who shows no dun factor at all she is so light, the only way I could be sure was to test. And as you have seen with some of the photos posted, there is always an exception, for instance, the filly born that looks exactly like a silver bay but has shed out to be a silver buckskin so who would have thunk...? I am a big believer in testing, other wise the best you can do is a good guess until that foal sheds off some...but as far as the learning to decipher...anything involving cream or silver on a any base makes a lot of things confusing lol such as diluted marks or false marks etc. If you know your sire or dam carries silver and the foal has a lot of white with chocolatey points then you can guess most likely silver buckskin. If you are suspecting dunskin but neither parent carries dun, then not a dunskin. If you do have a parent that carries dun, sometimes you get a buckskin baby with very loud dun factor, sometimes barely any that is more visible after clipping or the first shed, sometimes the dun factor is so diluted by the cream gene it is never really visible. Aren't color genetics awesome!? Love them.

this is our silver buckskin mare

we also have a silver buckskin pinto with dorsal stripe gelding

SDC10840.jpg

SDC10844.jpg

306934_156846157742932_100002526450983_268918_1561102494_n.jpg

Latest posts

Back