Dun Gene question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am awaiting Mona chiming in to see if she thinks "China" is a Grulla and the cream gene she carries is lightening everything up.....

Your mare is stunning miniequine. Just the kind I look for!
default_rolleyes.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Heres a good article on Grulla/o horses
http://www.gusmar.com/grullaarticle.htm

cAN YOU LOOK AT MY NEW FILLY & give me your opinion on her being a grulla. She is posted on this forum. Go to my 384 day foal finally arrived! She looked like a silver Buckskin at first, but now shes pretty mousey colored. Her am is reg buckskin, she has brown legs mane tail. Sire is a grulla all the way, dorsl stripe, dark head, drk pts on ears & legs.

ddeeva, I cannot find your post. Can you post the photos here again??

This is China's 2008 filly (dam and Grand dam photos above) :

cookie1.jpg
cookie3.jpg
cookie4.jpg

Lots of stripes dripping down from the back. You can see them in the last (back) photo.

Thoughts???

This is China's 2008 filly (dam and Grand dam photos above) :
cookie1.jpg
cookie3.jpg
cookie4.jpg

Lots of stripes dripping down from the back. You can see them in the last (back) photo.

Thoughts???
HOLY SMOKE...does this horse carry dun (posts are confusing me..cant find info lol) OR is she another of these STRIPED?brindle smutties?????? She sure looks like she has smutty. The stripes coming down her sides on that last picture and just like Ozy's - only he's a dark bay so they're very hard to see....but they're there just like your mares.

okay - went to your web site where you posted that China is a smokey black. So her dorsal and stripes are coming from sooty/smutty?
default_new_shocked.gif
default_new_shocked.gif

Frankly, that is why I am posting. I am trying to learn about the dun gene and as you can see I apparently have it in my line.
default_smile.png

This last mare "Fortune Cookie" I originally sent in the AMHA registration as a bay (she looked black bay, which is common here as we have so many horses that are homozygous for black. They seem to produce VERY black bays). Then I had to call AMHA and ask that they change it to a buckskin, as she started lightening up after she was over a month old.

She tested Homozygous Black, Heterozygous Agouti and with one Cream gene.

This year when we clipped her out a couple of weeks ago we could see the back stripe, but it darkened a great deal in two weeks, which is when we took the photos this week. It was not until she was all cleaned up and we were walking her out to photograph that we saw all the vertical stripes and the person handling her kept saying she looked like the brindle photos I had shown her from the LB Forum. It was a sunny day, if it had been more overcast they would have shown better. You know how that goes! But they go down her sides significantly. Lots of narrow ones.

I am open for suggestions.

Her dam China has THE most iridescent color of hair I have ever seen and we had her tested for Champagne and Pearl because of it (both were negative). I am assuming she carries dun.

I bought Fortune Cookie's grand dam Rowdy Lass (shown above) in foal to Sids Terminator and I have no idea if he carried dun. Rowdy Lass has Cob webbing all over her back.

Any comments would be appreciated.

The buckskin filly you posted really really looks to me like she's some expression of brindle. Her dorsal, shading, neck patches and shoulder patches and those vertical lines are JUST like Ozy's. She's awesome. I'd say it's all coming from smutty. The way you describe the markings she sounds just like Ozy and a brindle registry told me he was brindle so based on that I'd say your filly is too
default_wub.png
default_biggrin.png
default_smile.png

I think we need to start a color thread for "brindle based on smutty"

Going back to the filly in the first post, and her dam Hope--by the testing you have done Hope is a smokey black:

Hope has been tested and is Black (aa), Homozygous for Tobiano, carries a single Cream gene; and is negative for the Frame (LWO), Sabino, and the Silver genes.
That doesn't mean dun isn't there as well, but in looking at the photo of her, the dark patch on her side does look to me like it could be smokey black, nothing to do with dun? Smokey blacks do come in so many shades, from black as night to "seal brown" to an even a lighter shade; any of these colors can have a gold shimmer to them. Given the test results you posted I wouldn't have said there was anything puzzling about Hope's color.

I have other smoky blacks and the color on them is uniform in color.

On Hope the tail and one ear are jet black, giving the appearance of a buckskin, but she carries no agouti.

Latest posts

Back